1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop a mole

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Aug 7, 2013.

1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I have a mole that has decided to use my backyard as an exercise area and is running laps. Short of buying a mole trap is there another way to get rid of this pesky little bastard ? If possible, I would like to eradicate it - not just catch it and give it a good home.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've caught several by chance in the past around noontime. I had walked the tunnels down and while doing yard work saw the ground moving. I quickly flipped them out of the ground with the tile spade. I'll admit to beating the little bastard to death and then some. I was pissed from all the damage they caused. Someone told me they are active around that time. I have since treated my yard religiously with Grub-Ex and it seems to have worked.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

A farmer friend of mine came over and solved my problem and I had tried a long time with many different recipes and traps. Even my cat could not get this one. He found the entry and put some capsules in the hole, added a little water, stuffed a paper towel on top and covered it up with dirt. Bingo, Mole dead, never to return. I asked him what the pills were and he said you have to have a license to buy them? Thats all I know

4. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Read back awhile ago that if you can put up with stomping your lawn back down once moles pass they can be very beneficial. They feed on and especially like ants and destroy ant hills as well as other harmful insects. Unfortunately they also like an occasional earthworm or so as well. I had one back a while ago and wish it would return with all the ants of all types in my back yard especially the large black ants.

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

The only reason they are in your yard is because there is something there that they like to eat, which is usually grubs and angleworms.

Get rid of what he eats and he will leave.

Unfortunately, getting rid of what they like to eat is now more difficult than getting rid of the mole! You can thank the EPA for banning the few things that were effective in ridding the ground of grubs and worms.

Grntitan's method works as good as any, although a cocker spaniel with a good nose makes locating the little SOB more precise!

6. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

One effective chemical to use is Lorsban 15G. You can purchase at any farm service center. It may take awhile to work, but it will not harm earthworms.

Good luck

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

There used to be an old guy who had a radio show on the weekends - Jerry Baker. He had a mole tonic that I used. Had moles for years, haven't had any for a while. I don't know if they left on there own or his tonic that I used chased em away.

8. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

A lawn chair, something to read, two or three Miller Lite's and a 12 gauge with 7 1/2's. Your choice of choke. Sit about 3' from the end of the trail and pop a tab. When the ground at the end starts to vibrate from junior digging, unleash a 12 gauge about 6" to 8" behind him at a 45 degree angle. Pops them babies right out of the ground.

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I use the same method when I have time, but I run out behind them and bury a spade thru their trench. They only have one way to go.

Then take an Sig 522 and light up the mound every at 1"-2" spacing.

10. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

My neighbor uses a small gas engine, and puts the exhaust in a tube down the hole. Works like a charm. Tube gets hot, but it works. Here in Texas. Chas.

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I would welcome the moles. Plenty of grubs in the lawn. Problem is the moles would not be able to get through this clay that I have once it dries out a little. The Mole spike traps seemed to work well up at the Uncles Farm, when set on the tunnels.

My problem is Voles. I have thrown out about 20 nests of babies already this year. I have cut up a few when riding the lawn mower. It's funny seeing them running through there tunnels in the grass. Then they seem to run back into the mower though, when you get close. I read today that one Vole can have up to 17 litters a year. Either there are a chitload of them this year, or that number is low. LOL. Then you have the Rabbits digging their nests at the base of the bushes, in the landscaping.

Seen a Great Horned Owl land in the tree line tonight. She better get busy. I can hear her two young ones screeching out every 45 seconds in the back woods, once it gets dark. She should be teaching them how to hunt in my yard. One morning earlier in the year she landed down where the Vole nests are in the lawn at about 8:30 in the morning. She must not have been successful. She flew when she seen me, and nothing in her talons.
    [​IMG]

12. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Keep urself a dog, better yet get either a Skipperkee of a Jack Russel terrier.

13. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I have had success with walking down the tunnels and then pulling the moles out with a dandelion puller near dawn or dusk. I haven't really tried around noon time.

14. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

My yellow lab used to be hard on moles. The only problem was she made a bigger mess digging after them then the moles made.

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The poison worms work but they're pricey. Bill

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They eat Grubs in your yard. Kill the Grubs and the Mole will leave.

17. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Just go for a walk!

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

How does killing the grub worms get rid of moles? A mole won't know there aren't any grubs unless he searches all over the yard first.

19. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

The poison pills are 'Phostoxin'. They work like cyanide. You have to have a license to purchase them. They work good for prarie dogs also.

20. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Had a cat that used to mine for moles but never eat them. Come to find out the moles are toxic to cats if they do eat one. The moles I've seen are small and usually there are only one or two around.

Can't believe the size of that mole, whoa! That would leave a tunnel you could trip over...

Search tags for this page

how to stop a mole in your yard blogs forum threads

jerry baker mole tonic