1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to stay COOL in the HEAT of summer shooting?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Perazzi_MX8, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I'm not alone in trying to endure the hot temperatures of summer while shooting. I wear a moisture wicking shirt but what else have you found that really helps? I want an air-conditioned hat but have never found one. Any suggestions for a products that helps would be appreciated. The desert dwellers must have some answers to this one. Duane

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I used a similar system, only mine is high tech. I found this electronic device that circulates cold water around your neck. I bought it to use in the barn when I was mucking stalls, but I use it to shoot with now, too. But you won't be able to use it if you crane your neck up the stock and crank your head down to shoot. It would get in your way then. I shoot more upright. I'll see if I can find a link.

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Here ya go. I love mine.

4. shaggist

shaggist Member

Not everyone who has a problem with heat management is drastically overweight. Some of us, me for example, take medications which partially defeat the body's heat regulatory system.

I use a 'kool towel', soaked in water, wrapped and pinned around my neck. This keeps the cool surface next to my carotid artery and jugular vein where the blood to and from my head is rushing through. I drink Gatorade and water regularly throughout the day, and stay in the shade whenever possible. I wear a pith helmet, made from plastic mesh, for protection from the sun and its heat, so that the heat from my head has an easy outlet to the outdoors. I wear evaporative-cooling shirts to help remove the perspriration flooding from my sweat pores.

All of this is not enough. So, I have added to my pith helmet some small, very thin (10mm) computer cooling fans that I found on Ebay, that will be powered by a 12v Li-on battery pack worn on my belt. If I can just keep my head cooler, that should help with the heat dissipation enough to let me finish a 100 bird event. So far, they seem to be able to handle the load, but only shooting under realtime conditions will tell me whether they are effective or not.

I would be very interested in what methods other people have devised to combat this overheating. Any input that may generate an additional line of thought about what else would help would be appreciated.

Jack

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Got a large wide brim evaporative coloing hat from Hammacher Schlemmer, soak it in cool weather works ,real well.

Phil Berkowitz

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They make a beenie type of head covering that goes under your hat, you soak it in water, put it on your head and then put your hat on over it ... It seems to work for a short time, then it acts like a sauna if you don't soak it again and again to keep it cool (cold) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. 27-T

27-T Member

I've heard that there is some sort of neck wrap that you "snap" and it starts a cooling material in the wrap. I've not seen one of these, but was told that they work well when wrapped around the neck. I was also told they were available at Lowe's, I assume for outdoor workers, but I don't know that for sure.

If anyone is familiar with these, and their brand name, please let us know.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the wet cloth around the neck. There are specialty products for this which are some type of moisture retaining cloth or hydrated gel beads but a simple hand towel soaked in water will work for a few hours. Having some cooled blood going to the brain really helps my shooting.

These aren't just for the fat guys, my company supplies them to our workforce because the plant gets very hot during the summer months. The results are impressive and the guys use them willingly.

The reason the neck wrap is so effective is because there are major blood vessels close to the skin and the exposed skin area of the neck is large enough to provide a place for significant evaporative cooling of the cloth.

And yes I am a desert rat and I do spend a lot of time outside in the full sun.

9. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

There was a shooter at the Grand in the past who carried a small cooler, and after every trap would take out a fresh piece of cabbage and put it under his hat.

10. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

27-T;

The name escapes me but you can purchase the cooling towels your referring to at Lowes. I have 2 I use at work.

11. Brad*90T

Brad*90T Member

They are frog toggs. Can be bought at Wal-Mart in the sporting goods dept.

Brad

12. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

Endura cool towel. Lowes, Dicks, and Sports authority

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I was working at our clubs shoot a few years ago and it was a hot day for sure. Our trap kids were doing a great job and sweating there butts off too. Then on the second day a shooter from Omaha gave all our kids and people working it those head bands filled with beads that swell up. Him and his wife make these things up by the batch's and he is kind enough to hand them out. Btw, this thing works! Like others say just soak it between rounds and it works great.

I get so tired of reading these negative threads (ie, cardinal classic) where trap shooters/event staff are not acting like they should. So take notice of the example set from a guy like this gentleman and pay it forward.......

Thanks Alvin Kam!

14. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. Lots of great suggestions were offered and I plan to try them.

Search tags for this page

cooling towel for trapshooters

staying cool while shooting trap