1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to start shooting w/ both eyes.........

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tdhrlyrydr, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdhrlyrydr

tdhrlyrydr TS Member

Hello all, I am new to the sport and this site....I am enjoying both so far.
    I however shoot with 1 eye and am told that it is much easier/better to shoot w/ both eyes open. Why? And, how do I go about beginning this practice(other than just opening my other eye.....to save all the wisecracks..haha)

Thanks Tom

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

first off, the eye you currently shooting with, is it your domminate eye? if not you will need to switch shoulders or get a crazy sidesighter rib. I had a problem at first. I would shoot one round with eye open then closed its really not hard to do. It took me about 2 weeks to get comfortable with 2 eyes open another 500/1000 rounds for my scores to come up. best thing i have done, going 2 eye

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Start with a BB gun shooting a swinging can hanging from a tree branch at close range. It's a great little eye exercise.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I don't want to sound like a smart butt, but that is EXACTLY what you must do. Make a project out of looking at the target with both eyes, and the gun will go to the target.

There may be a time when you want to bead check, and your scores may dip for a short while, but all in all, two eyed shooting is much superior to shooting with 50% (or less) of your vision! If you snap one eye closed, you are likely to squint the other eye, further reducing your vision.

Being a left handed, left eye dominant person who shoots right handed with both eyes open, I can say with confidence it is worth the effort to shoot with both eyes open.

It is a matter of discipline. There are some that may disagree. Some folks look at the front sight. Some folks scratch their behind in mixed company! It is simply discipline. Your eyes will focus on whatever your brain commands them to. They do NOT have a will of their own. LOL

It might help if you lower the muzzle just enough on your hold point to look over the barrel and not through it, and focus on a distant object, like a tree line or something downrange, before calling for the bird. If your eyes focus from far to near (the target), you are less likely to bead check. If you look at a near object, like the trap house, you are more likely to sneak a peek at the front bead before trying to find a target that has a jump on you and is going away at an alarming rate of speed! LOOK AT THE STUPID TARGET!!!

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

how the hell do you shoot righty with a dominate left eye with both eyes open!!!!!!!I tried that I missed EVERYTHING to the right?

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I learned how to shoot with both eyes from a skeet shooter and on post 8 of a skeet field. I was re-learning skeet and had a ton of trouble from post 8, low house. A shooting friend suggested I open both eyes when trying to shoot that target. So there it started. Then I went to taping the left lens of my glasses (I am a right handed shooter). Then I went to a "magic dot". Then it was just dabbing some lip balm in the right spot. After a while, I stopped greasing up my glasss but added one of those see through the pipe front sights. Bottom line - I worked at it a little bit at a time and my doubles gun still has one of those see through the pipe sites.

To your real question - shooting trap with two eyes is not necessary. Ask Nora Martin Ross. Two eyes provides better depth perception and that is all. That skill does not come into play in trap. One eye trapshooting is just as effective as 2 eyes open.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I have always shoot with both eyes opened. makes it real hard to shoot rifles or pistols but who cares. What ever you do will take time to perfect, practice, practice, practice.

8. Shooting Coach

I have done it for 50 years. I don't know any better! LOL

Seriously, I hold the gun a little low to get it out of my line of sight. I am talking about two inches or so.

For ATA, I hold at the far edge of the trap roof and look over the gun and find something a hundred yards or so downrange to focus on. I give my eyes a couple of seconds to dial in the range I am looking at. This is also called the "Quiet Eye". When I call for the bird, my eyes are not dialing in, but are dialed in on whatever I am looking at downrange.

At Skeet, I look at sky, clouds or treelines, depending on the station.

When I call for the target, I see movement very quickly, and focus from far to near. I make a project out of focusing on the target, and NOT the front bead.

By the time I focus on the target, the barrel is already beginning to move toward motion. I do NOT wait until the bird is in focus to attack it! By the time the target is in focus, I am fine tuning the pointing, swing, or lead, depending on the game I am shooting.

To a casual observer, it would appear I move the gun to the target very quickly. Actually, I see the movement of the target very quickly, and have extra time to make the precision move to it without crowding the gun, which does not allow precise control.

Les Greevy shared the technique with me. This is how Olympic shooters see and break the target so quickly. If it is good enough for them, it is good enough for me. ;^)

9. Shooting Coach

Whatever it takes, it is to your advantage to shoot with both eyes open.

10. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Read shooting coach's post again and apply it - that is THE correct technique for learning how to changeover from one to two eyes. les greevy is no beginner either - he WOULD know so trust the advice.

unlearning some one eye behaviors takes time - fortunately if you do not have cross dominance issues it can be just a matter of a few hundred targets and you'll be on your way to a whole new you.

DO NOT look at the barrel.

DO NOT look at the trap house.

Instead look beyond into an area past the traphouse - take a couple of seconds to let your eyes adjust and when you call for the target your eyes will pick up the movement really quickly and focus on the target MUCH faster if they come back in as opposed to focusing back out. Do this drill on your own for a while so you don't upset the "mythical" squad rythym and get your buds all tweeked out because you're taking a little extra time to learn a new technique. I was also shown one other little trick to help me get my eyes ready and out beyond the traphouse - after i mount and look past the traphouse - raise your eyebrows and make your eyes go big, just do it real quick and then relax your eyes and call for the bird.

If you can stick with it and successfully make the transition to two eyed shooting you will be amazed that you ever shot with one eye.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Let's talk the "WHY" that you asked. If you were standing back behind a squad of shooters, would you watch their birds with one eye? Of course not. What you are trying to do is to sight in the target as you might with a rifle or handgun as you should. With clay birds, you should be focused on the bird and only be aware of the barrel in your peripheral vision. In fact many "experts" will tell us that if we focus intently on the bird the barrel will seek the right place to go to shoot it. Making sure which eye is your dominant eye is just as important but see your birds just as you would those of others without your gun mounted. Or another example would be to use both eyes just as you would throwing a football to a receiver....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You're supposed to wear glasses with the Dot? Gee, no wonder my eye is so sore.

13. Shooting Coach

My routine DOES call for that void of several seconds when the gun is frozen on my hold point and my eyes are settling in. Folks that shoot with me are used to my routine. I do not change it for a fast squad.

Also, as was said above, I pop my eyes WIDE open like I am about to be in a car wreck before I call for the target!

Oddly enough, I never shot with one eye. When I shot Bullseye pistol many centuries ago, I shot with both eyes open. When I was older, on my State Service Rifle Team, I still kept both eyes open.

The analogy of watching OTHER folk's targets with both eyes open is a good one.

I was a good club shooter and club champion at several clubs before I worked with Les, but he educated me on how to help others shoot their best, also myself.

Unfortunately, age and health issues have made me a boom or bust shooter. Some days, I can run a flat, other days, I cannot BUY a 25!

Yesterday, a young shooter whose Dad bought her a Winchester Select Trap, and who I had worked with, beat me like a drum on the Trap field. She actually shot her lifetime best with her new gun. She was on fire! I was so proud of her!

Thanks, Les.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

To be successful shooting with two eyes open you need a shotgun that hits where you are looking. So first thing to do is to go to the patterning board. At 13 yards shoot some patterns with one eye and then shoot some with two eyes. Compare the patterns, if they are in the same place and on target you are good to go. If the two eye pattern is off you will have to make some adjustment to your gun inorder to get the right POI. HMB

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Nearly everyone has a dominant and a recessive eye. You primarily look at small objects with your dominant eye.

Step One- Figure out which eye is dominant. Several ways to do this but the simplest accurate way is to cut or tear an approximate one inch hole in a sheet of paper. Hold the paper at arms length and look at something about 20 feet away. Move the paper toward your eyes without losing sight of the object. The paper will end up over your dominant eye. You cannot bring the paper up to your recessive eye without losing sight of the object.

If you have a right dominant eye and are right handed, definitely shoot with both eyes open. If you are like me (shoot right handed but have a left dominant eye) then you need to overcome a problem.

Shooting Coach recommends forcing your recessive eye to dominate when shooting. My solution has been to block my dominant eye with tape. The best solution for a specific individual can get complicated because there are different degrees of dominance. Eye dominance is exactly like hand dominance. Some right handed people can swing a baseball bat fairly well left handed. Other right handed people cannot swing a bat well left handed.

Pat Ireland

16. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

24str8...

I know where to place the dot; I just can't find any craft stores in the east that sell opaque contact paper, or have even heard of it.

Morgan

17. corkey\rufus

corkey\rufus TS Member

18. Rooksd1

Rooksd1 Member

If you shoot right handed and are right eye dominate, I would start now shooting with both eyes. I am right handed and left eye dominate I can shoot both eyes but the left hand target is a problem so I shoot with one eye. Shooting with one eye can be very productive but you have to use a different technique. You need to hold your gun on the trap house and different positions when you are at different post while shooting one eye. With two eyes you can hold a higher gun and focus on the target faster. You can find some very good instructors that teach one eye shooting but you are better off with 2 eyes if it dose not create an issue.

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Interesting comments here. However, the statement that it is better to shoot with two eyes as opposed to one is irrational. What is rational is to use whichever results in more hit targets. The concept of shooting with two eyes is what is called conventional wisdom. I find that trapshooting is rife with it yet seldom is it based upon varifiable facts. Anecdotes do not create empirical evidence.

20. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Tom -

It really is just as simple as opening the other eye. You go out to shoot, and decide that for today nothing else matters except for keeping both eyes open. Your score doesn't matter, your mount doesn't matter, nothing else matters. It is your primary thing to focus on. Pretty soon it will not require your concentration, and you are free to make some other aspect of your technique your focus. I think that is the way all technique improvements should be addressed, focus on and fix one thing at a time.

I started out one eye, then became a "winker." I would close one eye as I was moving towards the target. I found one eyed shooting and winking to be very tiring. I found that my scores didn't really go down that much when I began opening both eyes, but my satisfaction improved. Visual fatigue became less, and I could shoot longer. After two or three practice sessions, it was no longer an issue. I still shoot a rifle and pistol one eyed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
both eyes shooting trap shooting
eye focus for shotgun shooting

how to shoot trap with both eyes open

shoot trap with both eyes open

shooting trap with both eyes open

trap shooting both eyes
trap shooting both eyes open
trap shooting with both eyes open