1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to start a trap range?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by myevh3, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

I have been thinking of trying to start a trap club near where I live. The closest clubs are 50 minutes or more away in all directions. My thought was to try and find some land to lease, put in 2 trap fields and go from their. Pretty vague, I know but, any advise or thoughts from those who have tried it would be appreciated. I'm sure local restrictions and codes would be an issue. Anyway, it's always been kind of a dream of mine to do.

Thanks,

~Matt

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Check the zoning for the land your looking at before you go any further.

Nearby neighbors (and lawyers) will be at all the town approval meetings, if you need a zoning change or variance.

They will bring up noise and lead issues.

300 yard lead shot drop zone and no water issues.

Check the links at this site...

http://www.nssf.org/ranges/?CFID=2820905&CFTOKEN=71924289&jsessionid=843032583a7db40a16e34e783516783f192d

You may find it easier to put in one field for your own use (not a club), as long as the lead does not leave your property, but that depends in what state you live in.

3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Check EPA laws and restrictions. $50K per field if you do alot of the work. Clubhouse, toilets, liability insurance and then ATA approval if you want to certify for regitered shoots. I'm sure there is more. Good luck.

blade819

4. overbored

overbored Member

Show me 1 place you can build a gun club, and I will show you 100 that you cant.

Be thankful there is one only 50 miles away.

Hugh

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Dreams are what keeps us going Matt - nothing wrong with following it up.

It was always my dream as well and I was fortunate enough to get in with a small group of people with similar dreams.

The #1 obstacle is going to be money. All the other logistical considerations are second to that. We got started with a $82K grant from the division of wildlife. The city and county have also helped us in many ways including leasing the land and donating a used modular building.

So my advice to you is surround yourelf with a good group of people that have a variety of skills and connections and put together some plans and then go after what ever grant money may be available. The NRA is going to be a valuable resource for you and may even be able to help directly with some grant money.

6. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I don't think you will ever find anyone to lease you land to start a trap club, Way to much liability on them, Accident, lead and who knows what else the do-gooders can think up. Good Luck if you get it up and running.

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

1. Land that you or the club own outright.

2. Good neighbours (preferably shooters or go and invite them to participate)

3. $$$$$$$'s

8. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Speaking of DREAMING. In the few decades I have left, I'd like to see a local INDOOR shotgun range - in my area. I've often wondered if those blow-up buildings would work. We have one nearby that houses football, soccer, and whatever. Yes, the structure is "soft" but it sure seems to have held up well for a long time. Trap and skeet could easily be handled in 300 feet - and think of the reclaiming possibilities.

Yes, a dream, a big dream. Stranger things have been built - even a range of 125 trap fields in a state that opposes gun ownership.

Larry

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE; INDOOR shotgun range

An indoor range is located in Germany. Skeet and bunker. Steel shot is used...

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"even a range of 125 trap fields in a state that opposes gun ownership"

Larry--Correction. It's 120 Trap fields and it was not only built IN this State, it was built BY the State of IL. When did your State last spend $54 million on shooting? The State of IL is not Antigun. The city of Chicago namely Cook County and its crooked Government that are antigun. There is a VERY VERY VERY large number of Progun people in the State of IL. I am one. Now i certainly wouldn't term IL gun friendly Law wise but most of the State besides the above fore mentioned area are very gun friendly. Says alot for the so-called progun state of Ohio that didn't build shit for their people when needed. Just say'n....................

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I would think the most important thing would be to have would be shooters lined up and willing to spend their money there. You can not get far without customers.

Shooters with cash to burn seems to be the one thing most existing clubs are having trouble finding these days.

12. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Matt, hope you have a strong enough desire and deep enough pockets to pull it off. The NRA has advisors who specialize in what you are after, I would recommend you start with them.

Robert

13. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I'm not saying you shouldn't because I think you should. But, go into it with your eyes wide open. If your local township is against it your legal fees could be astronomical. For instance when we had to move the physical location of our club 14 years back it cost us 150K in legal fees because the Township was against it and it forced us through the court system. Be aware that there is going to be someone around you that will be against it because of noise or their fear of further decreased property values.

Other considerations would be the probable environmental studies required, zoning changes, plus the cost of the land etc.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Go for it... you can't take it with you!

But obviously you know that it's got to be situated where you must buffer yourself from neighbors... Our small 3-trap field operates safely within a 13 acre fenced plot, but you'll need 75-100 acres so you can't be annexed and driven out of business... margins in shooting sports are small, so if you buy land, buy as much as possible so you can farm/rent it and use the income to cover the whole parcel's land related expenses

Orientation for the range should be North/Northeast. I'd suggest incorporating skeet overlays into the design capability, whether or not you actually choose to offer Skeet and or 5-Stand.

Go public with membership options... be part of the community and the community will be your friend, supporter and ally.

Dream Big... reach for the brass ring - if you only reach a portion of your goal, you've won!

Good Luck,

Jay

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Where are you? The greater Phoenix area needs another trapshooting venue. This is in no way an indictment on Ben Avery. BA is a great club but the population warrants a club south or southeast of the city.

I'm from an area in Illinois near St. Louis that, in a 100 mile radius, has about 10 small to medium sized clubs and the biggest in the world. All have their own form of "derby", games, leagues or all of that and all do well. Most are clubs with a membership structure and the members are loyal to their "home club".

If you put a trapshooting club in the Greater Phoenix area I think it would have immediate success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.