1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to soft focus closer to the house

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazziboy1, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

I have been trying out different soft focus areas and looking just past the trap house seems to work the best for me. In watching Harlan's dvd he says to look just past the 10yrd stake. The problem im having is no matter where i try to soft focus my eyes want to go as far out as possible. Im a one eyed shooter and i hold over the trap house like Harlan recommends in his video. Anyone have any ideas on how to get my eyes to stay closer to where i want them? Steve Wolf

2. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

You really don't want your eye focused close to the house. Your eyes acquire a target faster if they come back to it than if they have to go out and chase it. Chasing targets with the eyes results in shooting at streaks.

The trick (for me, anyway) is to look through the background rather than at it. This is not a problem if you don't look too high. A foot or so above the house roof (actually measured, not guessed at) is about right for me; if I look higher I don't pick up the target as quickly.

Remember, Harlan is a 2 eye shooter who teaches 2 eye shooting techniques. I took his clinic and found that out for myself.

Mike K

3. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

S:
    I'd suggest lowering your hold to just below the trap house rim, allowing for seperation between the bead and target, thus allowing your eye to focus on the rock. Holding above the trap house gets a bit dicey for us "one-eyes".
    dju

4. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try just letting my eyes settle out where they want to and see how that goes. Steve

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

David pretty much said it. If your barrel is too high, being a one eye shooter, you will have a harder time acquiring the target. You will find that your sight will draw back to the bead then that dreadful word...."LOST!"

Mike said to look through the background which in essence you just need to relax your eye muscles. At farther distances your eyes separate and vise verse converge when looking at objects close up. Looking above the house and relaxing your eyes your peripheral vision to acquire the target much quicker than attempting to directly focus on the target.

Bryan

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Use other people's targets.

Watch the targets of the shooters before you. Hold your focus out at the point where you see a whole target; just as you would be if you were shooting it. Then when you mount your gun maintain that "focus."

7. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

How do you soft focus 10 yds out and look at the lip of the trap house at the same time?You might want to go back and watch the DVD again.

8. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I took a clinic from Harlan and had his DVD but could not get the hang of the "push" so i gave up on that.got a Leo Harrison DVD and my scores went up.he teaches you to look at the lip of the trap house.might take a look at his DVD.He takes a lot of time explaing "how to" for one eyed shooters.If you have a lot of time on your hands go to Dennis Devault's web site and get on his monthly news letter.go back about 6 MO's. and read his views on where and how to look.I know reading the Devault news letter has helped me with my trap shooting.As a one eyed shooter one of the best thing's you could do is take a Nora Ross clinic.I did and it was the best money I ever spent,but that was when I was a one eyed shooter.now I'm a two eyed shooter.

9. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

1150db81,

Everybody's eyes are different! What focus that works for one will not work for another. You'll just have to experiment to see what works for you. I have to agree with tracyhunter above about Harlan's approach. I couldn't for the life of me shoot the way he teaches so I just tried to develop my own style. Leo Harrison does teach to look down through the gun at the lip of the house. Frank Little also taught to look down through the barrel. Just experiment!

10. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Thanks for all the great advice, I will try it out this weekend. Steve

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Something bothers me here. How do you focus one eye?

HM

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When holding above the house using two eyes you can "look through the gun" and see the bird when it leaves the house. What is actually happening is you are looking under the gun with your left eye and over the gun with your right eye. With a little practice it seems like you have xray vision. What is actually happening is your brain is processing both images and displaying them at the same time.

When the bird leaves the house your right eye takes over and tracks the bird. When everything looks good the gun fires and the bird is dead. HMB

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

It sounds like you're trying too hard, compare it to driving your car in a school zone and watching for kids, if you made a big deal out of it your eyes would be all over the place and stressed out. What we do when we drive in a congested area or like a school zone is become more focused and alert but not to the point of tightening up or stressing.

14. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

"It sounds like you're trying too hard, compare it to driving your car in a school zone and watching for kids, if you made a big deal out of it your eyes would be all over the place and stressed out. What we do when we drive in a congested area or like a school zone is become more focused and alert but not to the point of tightening up or stressing."

With all due respect, trap is different in that you know that something is about to happen, and your success depends on quickly seeing and reacting to it. If we were to modify the chore of driving past a school zone into a game where kids would hide behind random cars and trees, and try to catch you unprepared as they dart out into your line of driving, that would be an accurate comparison.
    In short, when we call pull we know something is about to happen, and our score depends on our ability to compute a host of factors in very short order so that we cam place that magic pellet in just the right place at the right time.
    Granted, with experience we can relax a bit.
    Well there I go again...
    dju

15. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

<I>"Something bothers me here. How do you focus one eye?"</I>

That bothered me too until I actually tried to do it.

For me it's not as much a matter of focus as of comprehension.

The only way I can describe it: shooting from post 4... look about a foot over the house roof about 1/4 way from the right corner; settle my eye so it's perfectly still; "relax my brain" until I am comprehending what's in my peripheral vision as much as what's in my central sight (can't do this unless eye is completely still); call for the target.

When I do it right I'm still amazed with how quick I pick up the target, get a visual lock on at and move to it compared to how I used to do it when I when I looked at the edge of the house roof.

Mike

16. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

halfmile

It's easy for me.. I just close the other one

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Steve, as can read everyone has a different approach how they see and aquire a target. A common thread among top athletes is their superior eyesight and their ability see, focus and respond to movement faster and better than people with normal eyesight. Don't get me wrong, there are many top athletes who have normal or less than normal eyesight who have taught themselves how to make up for this deficit.

A problem arises when someone is gifted with fast focusing eyes tries to help people that don't have this gift. The problem is what they see and when they see it is nowhere close to how the rest of us see and focus. So your remedy, my remedy is to work (train our eyes) to see and focus faster, regardless if were one or two eyed shooters. We can train ourselves by doing eye exercises and plain old paying attention to where we hold our gun and where we look, it's always about work, but the work equates to the fun of hitting targets.

Soft focus doesn't mean you're checking out of the game, it just means your eye's are idling waiting for the focus command which is (movement) normally caused by a target coming into your field of view; which in turn sends the move hands/gun through your brain then onto your hands allowing you to make that smooth move to the target.

The only person who can determine how to make this all come together is you. You have find where to put your eyes, your gun, your feet and so on. A good instructor can tell what you're not doing to make a smooth move and offer suggestions and teach you good fundamentals how to bring it all together.

Being a one eyed shooter, I rely heavily on anything Phil Kiner has to say and always recommend his video's.

Surfer

18. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

One eyed shooter. Bead at the front edge. Soft focus 2 feet up 2 feet out, Nora Ross 31 time All American.

blade819

19. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Nora has just recently adopted this "up 2, out 2" style. I took 3 of her clinics in the past 7 years.

What she never did explain to me was how I focus out just 2 feet beyond the trap house when the background is 100 yards past that.

Mike K

20. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Mike K that is exactly what im getting at. It seems no one including the instructors can tell us how to do that with our eyes. I've tried to look closer, like right at the front lip. I see the target fast but i make a jumpy move to it. If i look all the way out into the backround, sometimes i dont see a target come out and i jump at it also. I wish i could force my eyes to stay half-way from the lip of the traphouse to the 50 yard stake. Thanks to all the great advice. Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to relax eye muscles for soft focus

soft focus in trap shooting

soft focusing for trap shooting