1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to slow down pulling the trigger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I've been shooting trap more lately (last couple weeks) to get ready for the ATA season. I've noticed that I'm pulling the trigger too fast on hard left birds on post 1 (in other words I'm behind the bird). [Not so much of a problem on post 5] I tell myself to see the 'sight picture' before shooting but I just want to pull the trigger.

I've been shooting trap now for exactly 2 years.

Anyone have any practice tips so I slow down and see the sight picture before pulling the trigger?

2. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

get a better look at the bird,wait until you are on the bird, keep your head on the gun,you should never feel hurry on a shot, or change your swing speed to match your trigger finger.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

You are shooting on timing instead of sight picture.

Very common problem. LOOK AT THE BIRD and get your sight picture.

Also focus on follow through.

You are half way there by understanding why you are missing.

Remember, the bird cannot outrun you?

Don Verna

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

This could also be the result of a long stock, if you're right handed.

Ed Yanchok

5. glenns

glenns Member

Don - you are right about 'shooting on timing instead of sight picture.' At times I feel like I'm shooting on 'auto pilot.'

I'll focus on seeing the sight picture.

Glenn

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Glenn,

You want to look at the target, not at the beads.

You're either shooting the streak, or you're bead checking.

Either way you aren't looking at the target. You're "panic" shooting.

Move your "eye hold" out farther from the house and try to slow the target down.

As was mentioned above, the target isn't going to get away, so there's no reason to panic. But if you're not seeing a solid target then your mind thinks that the target is going to get away. Move your eye hold point out to where you see a solid target. Once you see a solid target you can "slow it down" and hit it.

Good luck.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Target acquisition.. focus clearly on the target and continue to do so while the gun moves to it. It will seem like you are going in slow motion because everything should be clearly in focus; it feels like going at high speed when you're trying to catch blurs.

MK

8. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Try to get the mental picture of "SMEARING THRU" the target...SMOKIT

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Tell yourself to "take an extra beat" before you pull the trigger. It works for me.

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

A good flinch will slow you down.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Yep, your shooting on timing. Try shooting a few games of skeet and or sporting this weekend, then on the last game try a game of trap. This will help, believe me. You have to break that l,2,3 pull habit. Having to wait for some targets will help with that. Wait for the incoming targets on the other two games for as long as you can before you pull the trigger. You can do this and still keep trap as your main game this year. Best of Luck and Breake-m all. Jeff

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Move your hold point on station 1 to the left. HMB

13. glenns

glenns Member

Dixie - I like that suggestion. I'll inquire if our club offers that service.

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Hot glue a thumb tack to the trigger. Guaranteed you won't be in a hurry to use it.

MK

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have fallen into the "timing" thing as well. I have been doing it a couple of years now and seldom finish an event without a few extra misses because of it. Problem is with me is I still break most of the targets when I get into that mode so I don't always recognize what is going on until it's too late. I sure would like to kick that habit though. .

16. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most shooters never truly understand what timing means......they have this notion it's got something to do with a clock.....

I'd be willing to bet that those of you that think you can outsmart the need for timing will never pick up those breaks, that You THINK your losing because you've discovered timing.

Becoming a proficient shooter is just like programming a computer.......garbage in-garbage out.

%~)

17. maka

maka Member

Stay in the gun and watch the pieces fall to the ground when you do break one. Helps the mind see the lead or break point. Good Luck.

18. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Do you have finger contact with the trigger before you call for the target? If so you might want to try "slapping" the trigger. Many do and very successfully.

19. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I actually like HMB's suggestion that you move your hold point on Station 1 except that I would move it to the RIGHT. Hold over the center of the house so that EVERY target is a left-hand target. This will force you to shoot each target AS THROWN - no timing, no rhythm. Try it if only for practise. It is an excellent excercise.

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Your STOCK may be TOO LONG, causing you to short shoot the lefts.

If I could watch you and score your hits where you hit the targets I could tell for sure about your stock fitting.

Now I am 6.0 ft tall and have 35 inch sleeve length and I shoot a 14" ionch stock and have for years, longer stock and I shoot behind the lefts or break the a** off of them or miss. Called short shooting.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.