1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to slow down a whippy gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lovethesport, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

i have an mx8 with 1.51 kg barrels and briley thinwalls---i love the weight but find it a little whippy on sporting and trap targets---

what is the best way to smoothen it out---weight on barrel? or weight in stock?

thank you

2. missed some

missed some TS Member

practice with it, learn to shoot it. If recoil is the issue, then add weight. The only reason I add weight is to help stop felt recoil, notice I said I. don't know why other people add weight. mark crist

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Before you start weighting, take a little longer grip with your front hand.

Look at the videos of King George ... it looks like he's playing a trombone, set-to-set.

Bob

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: take a little longer grip with your front hand

Was going to suggest the same. Fixed a problem my wife was having at a skeet shoot last weekend with an O/U.

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A lot of faster gun speeds come through arm swinging the leading hand. Follow Bob's advice and watch King George's moves!

My P weighs 11 pounds 5 ounces and the weight is to reduce felt recoil. I even shoot bunker with it too and do pretty good considering the amount I've shot!

Hap

6. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Weight in stock at rear of gun will make it worse. Balance is what matters, and adding more weight to the "nose" of your gun reduces "whippy".

Three/Four ways to relieve your problem:
    1) Re-program the shooter.
    2) Move forearm hand further out.
    3) Add clamp-on barrel weight.
    4) Any, or all, of the above.
    I still shoot 28" (skeet) barrels in a world of 30"+ barrel shooters. I'm used to them, so it matters little.

My real name is,
    Mike Durhan

7. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

thank you--

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Wear a clunky Rolex from the 80's.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If extending the hand out on forearm is ineffective, try lead taping the barrels. Whiz White here on this channel did have it for sale. Use one foot strips till desires are met.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

shannon391,

As long as it isn't a fake one;)

ss

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Add an equal amount of weight to the front and rear of the gun. This will keep the balance of the weapon constant. HMB

12. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Had the same problem. Trade it for a Browning XT or a Rem 3200, buy shells with additional money and have fun. No really, fix what you have with barrell weight and learn to shoot it. Much easier to add weight to a whippy gun than take weight from one that's too heavy.

13. DanLee

DanLee Member

I'm at 180 degrees with the advice to move the hand further out. Try moving it back as far as possible. That puts more weight in front of the forehand which smooths out swings.

Dan

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If this is a new gun, then I suggest practice, practice, practice and learn to not swing it so fast. If you've had it for some time and cannot discipline yourself to moving slowly and steadily, then some of the corrective approaches above should be tried.

I know where you're coming from. I had been using a (for me) heavy 1187 12ga trap gun. I had a nerve injury and lost strength in my left arm, so for about a year I switched to an 1187 20ga that I set up as a trap gun clone, with monte carlo stock. It was a 7/8ths scale trap gun and considerably lighter.

While the 20ga was great for sporting clays, and I could jink it around easily, that doesn't work the best for trap. It took me a bit to get used to the light weight and slow down. Didn't really want to add weight, because that would have affected the gun for sporting clays, but a removable weight might have been a possibility if I could not discipline myself to slow down. Took some practice, but didn't take long for my scores to equal my 12ga gun.

15. Deigeh nisht

Deigeh nisht TS Member

One (1) pound wrist weight works great! Check out your local sporting goods store. Why add weight to the gun with this simple solution.
    [​IMG]

16. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Why does everybody suggest changes to the gun?

The gun is inanimate; it's the shooter that needs to learn how to handle it!

From Harlan Campbell: "The gun will go right to where you're looking; if it don't, you're not looking where you want the gun to go."

Mike

17. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

definately,if you want to handle a sxs properly,or have trouble with one,
    get your index finger up on the forearm tip,it will feel like a heavier gun.

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Please check out my website above.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

DanLee: You are 180 Degrees Incorrect. Move the forearm hand out farther on the stock, I used to Cup the end of the forearm.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Seems that no one has mentioned increasing the length-of-pull.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.