1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to ship ammo ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

How do you guys ship ammo ? I have some to sell. Thanks

2. 682LINY

682LINY Member

i use a usps flat rate box

3. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I ship via UPS, you must mark as ORM-D. Also you have to take to UPS distribution center, not a UPS store. Joe

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

It needs to go UPS or Fedex. Shipping ammo through USPS is a federal crime, and the postal inspectors won't look upon you kindly if you get caught. As Joe said, it needs an ORM-D sticker, which you can print from the internet and tape to the box. Other than that, not really that complicated.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Material marked "ORM-D" and shipped by surface transportation does not require hazardous shipping papers, simply an ORM-D and proper shipping name marking on the box.

This marking can either be in the form of a ORM-D sticker, or written by hand. If written by hand the letters "ORM-D" must be enclosed by a rectangle.

When transported by air, ORM-D shipments require an ORM-D-AIR marking and full hazardous shipping papers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORM-D

----------------------

UPS

Can we ship ammunition through UPS? If so, what steps are required?

A.Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms. Only ammunition suitable for .50-caliber firearms or smaller is allowed. Also, when shipping, it’s important to print “ORM-D” on the package. Ammunition can be shipped only within the 48 contiguous states. Go to ups.com to view all UPS terms and conditions of service.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Something I found weird, I received some brand new unprimed .44Mag cases and a couple magazines for a rifle from a reputable company via Fed Ex. The package had the ORM-D labels on it. Just didn't understand why the markings were needed for what I ordered.

7. skeet_man

They weren't. You could stick ORM-D labels on everything you ship and it won't hurt a thing though. This is probably what the company you bought from does. In fact, it wouldn't be a half bad idea if you owned a company that sold ammo to have all of your boxes boxes PRINTED with ORM-D on them. Its a case of "It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". If its on there, and you didn't need it, non issue. If its NOT on there, and you needed it, BIG issue.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Thanks skeet man.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I believe there are different kinds of hazardous materials. Things like aerosol cans, and drain openers need "Consumer Commodity" written on the ORM-D label. Ammo needs "Cartridges, Small Arms" ORM-D.

Wayne

[​IMG]

10. oz

oz Active Member

You can also have a gun dealer ship it for you.

11. skeet_man

A gun dealer will do nothing more than what I've outlined above, except charge you for his time on top of the shipping costs.

12. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Ship it ground via UPS just like anything else except it needs the label mentioned above.

I have found them online as a jpeg and just printed it out. cut and taped to teh end of the box.

My local UPS Store has shipped it for me as long as the ORM label is there - no questions asked.

13. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Can you schedule a UPS pick up for ammo if you have the proper sticker on it?

14. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

The UPS Stores are independently owned and make their own rules, here in Prescott, AZ they will not handle ORM-D maybe others will. UPS may pick up, I don't know but I don't like paying for the service. Joe

15. skeet_man

I believe UPS will pick up ORM-D, but you're not going to like the pickup surcharge that they'll tack on for a one-time pickup. No surcharge if you get regular pickup.

16. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

No, I don't have regular UPS pickup. How much is the surcharge? I live 75 miles from the nearest UPS distribution center.

17. skeet_man

Running a dummy quote, I'm showing about $5.50 to $6.50 depending on the service speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.