1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to ship a gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chadshot, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

If I sell a gun on here how do you ship one? How do I know the FFL is real or what is the best way to do that?? Also if I don't have the original box what is best to use???
    Chad

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Go to the web site above to check to see if the FFL is real.

If it is a long gun you can ship it United States Post Office. Priority Mail is a good deal, get it insured and return receipt or registered if you want. Pack it good, double boxed is best. You must declare your shipping an unloaded firearm. You can only ship to an FFL if shipping out of state. Have a copy of the license with you is a good idea.

If it is a handgun it has to go common carrier, UPS or FEDEX being the main ones, there company rules state it has to go next day air. Don't let anyone talk you out of that. IF you ship against their rules they don't have to pay insurance claims, if you could get them to anyway. Next day is expensive but you have no choice with a handgun. Also insure it. Their rules also state you must go to a hub, not a UPS or FEDEX store. You must declare it is a firearm, that is Federal Law. It must be shipped to an FFL. Although he doesn't have to send you one it's a good idea to have a copy of the FFL you're shipping to with you in case you get a ignorant person at the shipping poing. BTW you can ship only to the address on the FFL.

Don't listen to the uninformed who will tell you to field strip it and ship it as machine parts, you know it's a gun, if you get caught it's a Federal rap. There is more misinformation on this posted on this sight than nearly anything.
    If you go to gunbroker.com they have a section explaining how to ship a firearm that is pretty good.

3. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Only ship to a licensed FFL dealer

Ask your buyer for a signed copy of the FFL's license

When you get it check the number on the BATF ezcheck website

Only send to address that comes up for the FFL

Best way to send is via U.S. Mail insured priority mail with signature confirmation

You can get really nice boxes from UPS. Ask for the inner ski box, costs about seven dollars.

Check with the FFL you are shipping to see if they will accept from a nonFFL. Some do not. You may need to include a copy of your drivers license

Also, I pack a copy of the FFL with the shipment and I bring a copy with me to the Post Office

Tell the clerk you are mailing an unloaded long gun

Do not mail a handgun.

Do not indicate on the box it is a gun

I always include a statement like this to the FFL

"For legal transfer only according to all applicable laws to ______"

Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.