1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Safely Use Release Trigger?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

Ok you are standing at the line, you have mounted the gun and set the release trigger and called for the bird and the machine is empty. You are standing there with a cocked and loaded firearm ready to go off if you relax your finger the least amount. Now what do you do? How do you safely disarm your Perazzi or what ever else you are shooting without discharging the gun? A simple question but having just purchase a release trigger from Rich Bullard it is one I need the answer for before I go out and use the thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Doug

2. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

hold the trigger down & poen the gun

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

With my 682, keep the barrel pointed safely down range and open the gun. It resets and your done. Do not release the trigger until it is open. Simple

Matt

4. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

open scuse me ive been drinken

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

citadel:

To reset a release trigger, you simply open the gun.

If you're planning to try a release, put a snap cap in it and practice resetting it before you take it to a club and put a live bullet in it.

sissy

6. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks for the information.
    Doug

7. citadel

citadel Active Member

Thanks for the information.
    Doug

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Every gun is different. With a top lever it's easier to open the gun; guns that open near the trigger guard like the Seitz, Ljutic, and Mach One, it's a little trickier. The Beretta auto requires pulling the bolt back. The Remington Auto release triggers are often converted 870 triggers and you use the slide release button to reset the trigger.

The main thing is that YOU ALWAYS KEEP THE GUN POINTED GUN DOWNRANGE.
    I think it's safe to say that no one who uses a release had not at some time had the gun accidentally fire while he was trying to reset the release.

9. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

Safely use a release trigger? Gee, I don't know if that's possible, your talking about people who have lost all conscious control of their trigger finger. RM

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bertmuss---I think you sterotyped a whole lot of shooters with one assnign statement. I liken it to me stating that pull trigger shooters are not smart enough to use a release. Which, by the way, i do NOT believe.

Matt

11. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

This is something a shooter using a release trigger needs to practice with a snap cap. Myself I have had a couple of discharges when attempting to open the gun. As long as the gun is pointed downrange, nothing happens except the shooter has just wasted a round. I was shooting with a gentleman last year who had a release trigger. The trap kept throwing broken birds and he had his trigger set. He calmly let the discharge go down range. He told me after the round, that in his opinion this was the best way for him to clear the gun. He said, "It's my money, if I want to waste a shell so be it". I guess I have no qualms about his way of doing it. It surely isn't unsafe. Ed

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Safest way to use a release is to leave it in the closet. Sorry, but hose things are just plain scary and I have the scars to show why!

MK

13. esoxhunter

MK: If you "have the scars to show why"; that tells me that you seem to be careless on how you handle a gun. How on earth can a person get scars from using a release trigger? Or if you received the scars from another shooter that was using a release trigger; then of course that individual should be banned from your club, due to the negligent use of a firearm.

14. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"If you "have the scars to show why"; that tells me that you seem to be careless on how you handle a gun. How on earth can a person get scars from using a release trigger?"</i></blockquote>I never said I was using the trigger. I'll ignore your closed-minded response and explain...

Was shooting next to a release trigger user who had called for a target previously and not gotten one. Second time it happened he held his finger on the release and lowered the muzzle to the rubber barrel pad on his right. Just before the muzzle touched down he released the trigger, blew a hole through the rubber pad and sent at least 30 pieces of concrete shrapnel into the calf of my left leg. The ER had a tough time getting them all out because they kept breaking up; their efforts left a lot of chopped up skin and muscle. I don't know what happen to him; it was his club and I never went back.

Yeah, the guy did a dumb thing but once he had himself in the position where he found his grip was giving out he just didn't assess and execute fast enough to save the situation. That's what scares me about those triggers...user don't get to practice making unfamiliar decisions, reflex takes over and they muck it up.

MK

15. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The first time this happened to me was on a Mpdel 12. Boy, that was fun. I held the trigger and stretched my middle finger around to the slide release. I was hoping that was the right thing. It was BUT it was not easy!

16. esoxhunter

MK: You chose now, to quote 1/2 of my response to you. If you would take the time to read my entire response that stated if another shooter caused you harm due to misuse of a firearm; he should be banned from the club. Still, your initial comment was " the safest way to use a a release trigger was to leave it in the closet". I feel your last comment might be much more "closed minded" than mine. There are a number of shooters who seem think that release triggers are dangerous. They are not dangerous. Shooters using negligence in the handling of firearms are dangerous.

17. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

If memory serves, I've *never* let one off from resetting the trigger. (682, Ks-5, Kx-5, K-80, AL-391, maybe a couple I'm forgetting). Not even with the release on my 391, which is harder to reset since you have to reach over and draw the bolt back. Mind you, at one point that particular release did start to "pull through", which is startling to say the least. (I cleaned it the first time, then after the second time I had the notch on the hammer dressed. Not the hardest steel there.) But even that is not dangerous if the barrel is pointed downrange.

18. buster45

buster45 Active Member

I have been shooting a release for several years...I am right handed but left eye dominant, I am not comfortable opening my K80 so I shoot it down range.

Buster

19. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

My problem has always been when i try someone elses gun with a pull trigger in it. Step to the line, mount the gun, pointed out over the house & after 20 years of shooting a release I set the trigger. SUPRISE! Never been an issue as the gun has always been pointed where it belongs. It is the laughinig & ribbing that follows is what gets you!

20. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

The person who attempts to put the muzzle of a loaded gun onto a rest regardless of whether it is a pull or release trigger is doing something stupid. "Stupid" is the most powerful thing in the universe, with the exception of God. "Stupid" overcomes everything.

Buz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to adjust kx-5 trigger

how to safely use a release trigger