1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to safely clean...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

How do you safely clean your stock? Every once in a while, I get a little oil on it when cleaning.

Dave

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use Scott's Liquid Gold. It's a wood cleaner and preservative. Mark

3. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

On the oil finished stocks I use Howard's Feed & Wax. On the clear coated guns I use Cabinet Magic.

I also take great care not to get petroleum based lubes and solvents on the wood, and store my guns muzzle down in the safe to prevent seepage into the wrist.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Another fan of Scotts Liquid Gold... I use it on the entire gun: wood and metal. Have been using it for years on both my trap guns and my waterfowl guns and they all look as good as they have ever looked. Great product that does the job.... Just my opinion... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Liquid Gold makes wood things pretty but it's just oil and naphtha (benzine); it removes surface dirt and leaves a shiny oil on the finish (which does nothing useful for the wood underneath). If your stock has a hard finish on it already and just you want to clean oil off of it spray a little "Windex" or "Dirtex" on a cloth and wipe the oil off, then go over it with a dry cloth to bring back the shine.

Keller

6. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

I use Murphy's Oil Soap in the spray bottle, like Windex. Cleans the checkering very well with a soft tooth brush..

Lyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.