1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to reset check engine light

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgun_shooter, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Does anyone know how to reset the check engine light on a 2009 Chevy Silverado? Couldn't find how in the owner's manual.

Thanks in advance

2. drh08

drh08 TS Member

You would need a engine code reader to do this. If you don't have one I believe Auto Zone offers to read your codes for free, they could remove the code.

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

If you know someone in a local parts store they have a device to check why it came on and to reset, normally they do it for free in hopes that you will need some parts. I'm not aware of anyway to reset it without the device. Jackie B.

4. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I had onstar read the code and it was a mis-fire, which was caused by bad gasoline. I'll go and see if Auto Zone will remove the code.

Thanks guys.

5. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

kgun shooter

That is correct,you will have to plug in a scan tool and clear the codes.You could disconect the battery in the early years on the old style E.C.Ms, but that doesn't work any more with the E.B.D.2.system.

Sandy Holehouse

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Tigman46, What year is your vehicle? Early on you could unhook the battery and it would reset then they upgraded and you could remove the fuse. I'm probably wrong but don't believe that will work on most newer vechiles now. Jackie B.

7. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

If I'm not mistaken any system with OBD2 or newer needs to tell the computer that the problem has been repaired to turn of the CE light.

Auto Zone may be a source for this.

Regards....Gerald

8. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Ive tried AZ also advanced auto and Napa. All of them can't reset is without the code for Crysler.I went to the dealer. They wanted 75.00 do shut it off. I told them to stick it and that will be the last damn Crysler I will buy. No way I'm going to give the 75 bucks just to shut it off. Bill

9. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

In my experience AZ will read your code but not reset.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I bought a Superchips programmer about 4 years ago. I bought it to use the tow mode as well as add some extra hp/tq but it also reads and clears trouble codes. One of my best investments. It has saved me some cash several times already. Good product for seeing that the dealer is being straight with you.

Warning: The smile that the added HP/TQ will bring is hard to shake. Your fuel mileage will get worse as your throttle foot gets heavier. :)

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

OK, the box I bought on ebay read the codes, told me what they meant and erased them. But...since I didn't fix the problem, the code came right back in a couple of days. Vehicle won't pass inspection unless the codes are cleared by fixing the problem. What bugs me is that some of the problems only apply to California, but the dealer says they have to be cleared by making the repairs, regardless of where you live...

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

capvan--Yes you must fix the issue in order for the light to stay off. Clearing the code is meant to be done after the problem has been corrected. The trouble light will come back on if problem still exists.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Actually repairing the condition instead of temporarily shutting the CEL off has benefits aside from the obvious. Anytime the CEL is on, the PCM goes into open loop mode which means it ignores the signals from the oxygen sensors and runs the engine on a narrow range of parameters. That limits how rich and lean the fuel mixture can be, which means you loose performance and, most importantly these days, fuel economy.

My CEL on my wife's 2003 2.2L AWD Saturn Vue came on a few months ago and I read the code with my scan tool and cleared it just to see if it would return and cause the light to come back on. Of course, it did and the pre-catalyst oxygen sensor code was stored again. Because we were in the process of moving, it was a couple of weeks before our son and I had an opportunity to replace it, so we drove the car several hundred miles with the light on. After it was replaced, we saw an instant and noticeable improvement in the number of miles we could drive on a tank of fuel.

You can buy a scan tool capable of doing anything you would need on an OBD2 vehicle (1996 and newer) for a little more or less than $200. Go together with some family members and the cost gets lower yet. The really costly ones that are on a par with the ones the dealerships buy from the automakers will do more but you're not going to working on systems like air bags anyway. I would not bother with the cheap $85 ones because there are a lot of codes they won't read regardless of their advertising claims.

If you buy used vehicles, which I often do, you can't afford to be without a scan tool. We bought that Vue from a private party and when I asked the seller if it had any problems, he said that it was trouble-free. When I connected my scan tool to it, I saw a history of codes for misfires and catalytic converter efficiency stored in the PCM. I took a close look at the ignition coilpacks and saw that one of them was cleaner than the other two but the converter appeared to be the original one. I asked the seller when the CEL last came on and he came clean - the CEL had been on but he drove the car like that for two or three months before he had it looked at. By then, the converter had been damaged by the raw fuel entering it when the coilpack circutry went open but he elected to only replace the coilpack so the engine would run smoothly and sell the vehicle instead of spending the $900 he was quoted to replace the converter.

When we called about the car and were coming to look at it, he had a buddy at an auto parts store clear the codes out so the light would be off when we test-drove it. He took $900 off his asking price, which I thought was low to start with, and we bought the car. My wife loved it, so we were leaving with it anyway, but if you have to make a liar come clean, that's worth something.

A new converter was $238 online and three years later, is working just fine. My scan tool was paid for four times over on just that one use.

Ed

14. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Autozone could clear the code if they wanted to, they typically wont though. You could buy a cheap pocket scanner from them for fifty bucks and erase it.

The service engine light should go off on its own after like three tests of the circut without a failure. It may not.

Pulling the battery should clear the code too.

As with pulling the battery, when you clear the code with a obd2 code reader it resets the emissions components like the 02 sensors, evap cannister etc. You can not just clear a code and go get it inspected the same day. Most code readers will tell you when the emissions components are ready.

Bottom line, any 2009 Silverado of mine would be going back to the dealer for reseting etc. under warranty.

Nick

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

google Northern Tool...they have a sale on them this month...great place to get good tools cheap

16. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

On my VW, if I get a bad tank of fuel the light will come on. Next tank, add a bottle of injector cleaner and it's out in about 25 miles.

Big Jack

17. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of "ethanol" use in fuels. You think you have problems now, wait until it goes to 15% from the now 10%!!

You say yours is a 09 Chev. Find out what code is being set and go from their.

I have a 98 Ford the CEL been on for 3 years, hasn't burned out yet! One of the four(yes 4)CAT's is not preforming like the other 3. I would have to replace all of them to shut the lite off!! Well over a $1000 to do it, I just ignore the lite!

That period of Fords, the CEL was only attached to the exhaust system components and gas tank cap. Yep Gas cap! Not letting proper tank pressure build up or release excess pressure.

18. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

Like everything else here, there is some good and some bad information.
    First I will state that I calibrated ( that is I released more than thiry years of production calibrations including OBD II and both fed. and calif. calibrations) Not all calif. and Federal calibrations are the same, some are different depending on vehicle!

And Average Ed is wrong! Not every CEL will cause an engine to run "OPEN LOOP".
    Only those issues that affect the close loop fuel control will revert to OPEN LOOP! So you can have a CEL and still be closed loop.

The most common cause for a CEL LIGHT is the a "small or large" EVAP leak, caused when folks do not install a GAS CAP properly. Even with a "SMALL or LARGE leak" detected, the engine will run closed loop!

All that said I agree that if you have a CEL, it is best to find out why, and have it fixed. If however, a CEL is set from a loose gas cap, the code will go away after "MANY" engine cycles.

Also the "keep alive memory" for OBD II codes is 30 min. If you disconnect a Battery for 30 minutes the codes will clear. ( BUT disconnecting the BATTERY may also “reset” the case learn! Case learn will turn on the CEL light! “it is a learning algorithm for carnk position sensors and misfire detection!)
    So disconnecting a battery may only trade one “light for another!” And still require a trip to the dealer or “auto parts” store to correct!

The length of time! it takes to set a code varies by code! Many codes set with only one or two "failure" events. So they set quickly after detection.
    Some codes can detect "FAIL" and still not set TURN ON THE LIGHT until a "ratio" of pass to fail, has occurred!

What that means is. IF your "failure" is of the quick to set type, just disconnecting the battery, may "reset" THE CEL as soon as you start the engine.
    And if it is a CEL that that a certain number of failures to "reset", it may take several hours of engine run time before the conditions are correct to turn on the LIGHT!

What a Code reading device can do, besides "resetting" the CEL, is also tell you which codes are set ( you may have more than ONE with a light) and which codes have detected a failure ( but not reached the level required yet) to turn on the light!
    the CODES set and "pending" can direct a technician to diagnose the issue and correct whatever is wrong!

19. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

In my defense, I will state that my experience as a master technician and, later, a service manager and fixed operations director was limited to General Motors products. GM always taught us that their vehicles go into open loop any time the CEL was lit - perhaps in more recent years, they may not. Also, other makes may not but I have no knowledge of them.

Back in the day, when GM first went from an electro/mechanical cruise control system to an electronic cruise control system, that system would not work any time the CEL was on (that used to prompt owners to have their CEL problems repaired if nothing else did). Different brands of vehicles will exhibit different characteristics when the CEL is on.

For example, "unplugged" states that clearing codes by interrupting battery voltage to the PCM may reset the PCM's readiness monitors - on a GM vehicle, clearing codes by any means WILL reset the readiness monitors. That's true of many other brands as well and some of them have a procedure by which the readiness monitors can be reset in the shop using the scan tool. But the readiness monitors on other brands - GM, Volvo and Saab are three I have first-hand experience with - can only be reset by driving the vehicle a given amount without a failure occurring. Using a manufacturer's "drive cycle" can speed the process, and that permits a vehicle to be repaired and emissions-tested on the same day.

While one goal of OBD2 was to make functionality and diagnosis of the emissions control system uniform from brand to brand, there still are differences between them. But it's nothing like those systems were between 1975 and 1995. Then, every automaker had its own unique set of diagnostic trouble codes and they could only be read and the system diagnosed using that manufacturer's scan tool unless the vehicle was a 1975 through late-1980s Cadillac. Codes on those Cadillacs could be read by depressing the Electronic Climate Control's "off" and "warmer" buttons simultaneously.

Ed

20. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Buy a Cadillac and you will have a code reader built in. LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2009 chevy silverado check engine light reset

2009 silverado check engine light
2010 silverado check engine light

2010 silverado check engine light reset

how to reset check engine light on 2007 chevy silverado

how to reset check engine light on 2008 chevy silverado
how to reset check engine light on 2009 chevy silverado

reset check engine light chevy