1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to request a yardage increase

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark425, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have a friend that is assigned to the 21 yard line and wants to increase his yardage to 25. He RARELY shoots any tournaments (thus low yardage) but wants to start going to a few shoots and traveling/squading with us that are in the high yardage group. He regularly shoots in the 90's from all the way back at the club. I watched him go 100 straight last week from the 27. I wouldnt even begin to suggest this to many shooters but this guy really does belong further back and wants to shoot with his buddies.

My question......exactly how does he request a yardage increase to the 25. I volunteered to get the ball rolling and then leave it up to him.

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Call the ATA. The increase will stick for 2 years.

Don Verna

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Anyone who can shoot 100 straight from the 27 in practice needn't request an increase. Just go to two shoots and he'll be there!!

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If he shoots that good it shouldn't take him long to get there......in the mean time tell 'im to sit back and enjoy the ride.

John C. Saubak

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not worth a crap on Handicap but have observed several shooters in their journey back to the fence. I have noticed that alot of them get moved back very fast and then usually have a rough time adjusting to the change. Those shooters that i have seen slowly work their way back usually have more luck. Just my observations.

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I am against having shooters do this type of thing. Shooting practice targets is different than tournament targets. He should earn his way back to the 27 like most shooters.
    Steve Balistreri

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

He'll find ezrning his way back there much more informative then requesting the change. If he is capable of shooting to that level, it won't take him long.

Big Jack

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I don't believe he needs to, you can shoot from further back just not closer than assigned yardage. However, if he gets a punch back there then he is stuck at assigned yardage for 1000 targets. My 2 Cents. Bill

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

BILL GRILL--Not legally according to ATA Rules.

From 2011 Rule Book:

A shooter may not stand on a higher yardage than he/she is punched, unless assigned penalty yardage by shoot handicap personnel.

10. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Mark, if he's as good as you say he'll be on the 25 or farther in two big shoots. He needs to shoot the shoots and see how he handles the pressure? It will help him in the long run. If he makes it to a couple of shoot-offs in the process, the better he will be for it. Lot of things go into registered shooting and not just the yardage.

Ajax

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Steve, I did exactly what this fellow wishes to do for the same reason. I wanted to squad with my friends who all shoot at 26-27 yds. I did not "earn" it. Big Deal. If it bothers someone that I shoot mid/low 80's in HC - they need to get a life.

Let the man enjoy shooting with his buddies. It hurts no one.

I just had a friend suffer a stroke. Life is too short to worry about crap like this.

Don Verna

PS: I could go to little piss-ass shoots and crawl up 1/2 yard at a time shooting high 80's/low 90's and refuse reductions. Seems like that is how some 27 yarders "earned' their way back. Again, life is too short to play games.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If I was him and shooting that good, I would go to some of the bigger shoots, play all the money and suck the blood out of them on the way back ... Once he gets back there he can quit playing the opitions like most people do and just shoot for fun ... Man oh man, option money, Calcutta's, cars, diamond braclets, belt buckles can all be his and he will get earned yardage in a damn quick hurry shooting like that ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. senior smoke

Don:
    I understand from your point of view. Around 20 years ago I was on 25 1/2 yards. Due to some medical problems my scores dropped and I started taking reductions. All of my friends who I shot with for years said they missed me shooting with them. One of the guys said why don't you ask the ATA to place you back on the 25 yard line so you can shoot with us again? One guy said, sure let him mess up our squad but good, as he can no longer hit targets from that yardage. At first I was hurt with that comment being made, but these guys took their shooting extremely serious. For years I shot on 20 yards with people I did not know and I will be the first to admit that shooting was not as much fun as it once was.
    Steve

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, I've never understood why some guys place so much importance on "shooting with their friends" that they'd take yardage they didn't earn just so they wouldn't have to squad with strangers? Personally, I travel alone and random squad when I get there. It's not uncommon that I don't know ANYBODY at the shoot when I get there but I've met many good and interesting people that I never would have got to know if I hadn't squadded with them.

John C. Saubak

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Turning down reductions so you can shoot with your friends is common.

I thought you could just shoot on the further yardage, and if you got a punch it was from that yardage.

Rule book proves me wrong. I think this is a new wrinkle.

HM

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Steve contact the ATA or ask your state delegate how to go about it. None of what these people say means anything. If he doesn't want to shoot unless he shoots with your squad. Then without what he requests he just won't shoot at all.

They all talk about bringing new shooters into the game yet they don't seem to want to help a shooter get what he requests. He can't be put on the 27 so he will still have to earn the last two yards.

Again ask your delegate or the ATA for the information in the ATA rulebook it says

"b. There will be no yardage increase by shooter request beyond 25 yards. Subsequent to a shooter receiving an increase in yardage by request he/she will be ineligible for reductions from that yardage assignment based on 1000 target reviews for period of 2 years.

c. The only persons authorized to increase a member’s handicap yardage are member(s) of the Central Handicap Committee or voting member(s) of the Executive Committee."

Bob Lawless

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

John,

Here is what happens. You drive to a major shoot together to save money and to have a buddy for the drive. It is not easy to get squadded at nearby banks and/or around the same time if you are on the 24 and the guys you came with are on the 27.

This is not a factor if you go to small shoots. At large shoots, if you travel alone, it is also a non-issue. But when you share a vehicle it becomes an advantage to shoot together.

I was very lucky to start attending matches with very good shooters who took me under their wing and invited me to shoot with them. It is a small sacrifice for me to be uncompetitive until I learn to shoot at the 25+. I know I will get there eventually anyway.

Don Verna

18. jhoward

jhoward Member

As most everyone knows shooting from the 27 is different than shooting from the 21. If the man shoots a lot games from the 27 and farther back, he may well have trouble with breaking 100 from the 21.

19. senior smoke

Bob:
    I think I could get a 100 from the 27 yard line, but I'd have to shoot at 200 targets. Seriously I am on 20 yards and to be truthful I could probably use a reduction. When I was young I thought anyone on 20 yards had sand in his cuffs of his pants. Now with getting older, I have to rethink my original thoughts in regards to this matter.
    Steve

20. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok here is my opinion ok I know some wants to shoot with their buddies but stop and think about if the buddies shoot well from the long yardage and practice and registered targets are different because there is a Pucker Factor when there is something on the line to shoot for as in money or Glory of just winning!

Ok back to my opinion I made it to the 27 yard line the old fashioned way and some of the prizes and money along the way was nice to have because that paid for more reloading stuff and fuel to go to another shoot.

If your friend has plenty of money and his squad mates don't care if he shoots bad scores ok maybe they shoot bad scores all the time also, but anyway myself I wouldn't want to go and shoot with my buddies if they was good shooters and I thought I would mess them up I would rather shoot with strangers when I was serious because I don't keep track of the other strangers targets but with my buddies I notice every time they miss and I have been know to miss my next one out also.

As for me I haven't shot much in the last few years because of other reasons but I know im not ready to start back on the 27 yard line and my card says 24.5 yard line now so whenever I start back I wouldn't even mind to request another 3 yards off im sure I have buddies that are shooting from all yardage's.

In the long run a person will be more satisfied earning their way back and as others said if he is that good then go to a big shoot and by the week end he will be shooting with his buddies.

Foggy!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata yardage increase