1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to repel Skunks?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

HELP! For some reason this year we are plaqued with skunks can't walk two blocks from the house with out running into one. There are a couple of them in between my yard and the one behind me and next door to me. Anyone know of any sure fire way to keep those stinky bastards away? City won't do anything their response is"that's nature" interresting; wonder if it would be the same where they live?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

That's why the make .22 shorts (the "Neighborly" bullet). Not too much noise and they'll get the job done.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The .22 short out of a 24" barrel is the solution. The cause is some source of food. Perhaps the neighbors leave dog food out. In my case there is an irrigation ditch behind the house that usually has some dead fish in it. If you can find the food source and cut it off that is a good start. Skunks usually bring alot more problems than just the 'stink'. If you have dogs, cats or kids you need to make the skunks disappear. If you can't shoot them then look into live trapping followed by and drowning them.

4. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have seen more dead Skunks on the road as well as live ones, in the last 2 years, than I have my entire life of 56 years.

Maybe there is a preditor missing in the food chain?

5. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

A live trap to catch. An air rifle to dispatch.

Puncture the top of a can of cat food with a small punch for bait.

6. willing

willing Member

Just piss on them. Turnabout is fair play.

Bill

7. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

Tell them you're not gonna vote for them.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Some could tips thanks

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

"Some could tips"???

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Saw a local game wardens method and it surprised the heck out of me. About a six or eight foot pole with a hypodermic needle on end. A shot of acetone and it rolled over in its tracks. No spray, no stink, then just rolled the carcass into a plastic bag and all gone.

11. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Many years ago, an old timer in northern New Hampshire told me that a skunk can be captured live by picking it up by its tail; it can't spray you then. I guess you got to be real quick ........

LA

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah, I hate it when those Obama supporters come into my neighborhood too.

13. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

A skunk will not spray you in a box trap unless you scare it. Get a groundhog sized havahart, about $75, and find where the skunks are living. Probably under a shed, or old groundhog hole. Put the trap near it and bait it with marshmellows. Put a tarp or towel over the trap when you retrieve it with the animal in it. The trap will be full of dirt from the animal pulling in everything it can. It will be stinky, have feces, urine, fleas, and ticks. Use a truck if available, and put plastic down under it to keep the truck clean. Take it for a long ride and let it go. Drowning is cruel, but you can do that. It will make a stink. Just make sure you leave it under till it's good and dead. At least 1/2 hour. Another disposal is to dig a two foot deep hole, keep the shovel and dirt handy, position one side of the trap over the hole and prepare to open the trap quickly, because you are going to pop it in the brain with a 22. Hold your breath, quickly dump it in the hole and throw a couple heavy shovel fulls of dirt and run because it will always spray. Wash the trap. If you don't want to catch it yourself, get together with your neighbors and take up a collection. Figure $100 per skunk, or a flat fee of around $350 to $450 to get rid of the bunch. Will take about a week, and there are no guarantees.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many on this site already know I am a bit strange. Others will be convinced by this post. I have a very attractive Skunk that appears at my office door nearly every morning around 5:30 AM. I open a can of cat food and set it just outside the door and the Skunk has breakfast. I enjoy watching it eat and it enjoys the cat food. We are both happy.

Occasionally my neighbors cat is not happy about this arrangement. I have a choice between a cat in my yard and a Skunk. I have selected the Skunk.

Pat Ireland

15. wolfram

Please don't try the poison bait approach you will end up killing somebody's loved pet cat or dog. Besides urban hunting with .22 shorts involves alot of creativity and can be very entertaining. It helps to have your neighbor's support on the deal.

You don't live in Mr. Ireland's neighborhood do you Bruce?

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

A group of us were in a camp ground in South East Ohio several years ago. Well, the ladies were a little messy with leftover grease and such and the skunks came in that evening, three of them. They were bold as heck. One had a white streak across his forehead rather than the normal markings. They helped them selves to candy bars from the tents and two gut into a tussle inside a garbage bag that was laying there. All we could do was drink our beer and watch. One even brushed against my bare leg as I set there at the table.They finally wandered off. Asked the ranger about them the next day and he said it was much better to have a nervous camper sprayed once or twice a year rather than have many stung by ground hornets. It seems the skunks love the larvae and dig out the nests. He just said to be very clean around the campsite and get the garbage to the dumpster right away. Bill

17. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Skunks are among the worst carriers of rabies we have. Be very suspect of any skunk you see in the daytime. Skunks around humans and pets is not a good thing. Kill them as quickly as possible.....and contrary to some comments on here, I have killed many a skunk that never made a stink. If they are not aroused and you make a clean brain shot, they have no chance to spray. And, yes, if you hold one up by the tail, he can't spray. His hind feet have to be firmly planted on something solid for the spraying to take place.

Ken Rucker

18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

A live trap, baited with sardines, a tarp and a length of flexible rubber exhaust hose. Trap the varmint, cover with the tarp and hook the hose up to your truck exhaust and it's sleepy time. It's a bit of a slow process but gets away form the poison.

19. wolfram

I'll take your word about holding a (live) skunk by the tail Ken. Some guys don't have a problem handling rattlesnakes either, too scarey for me!

The man I bought my house from had an ongoing war with the skunks and he shared a few of his misadventure stories with me. The best one was when he live trapped a young skunk and thought it was a cat so he opened the cage and when the skunk came out he realized what he had and turned to run for his .22 running right into a big cottonwood knocking himself out. All of that must of scared the skunk because the guy got sprayed while he was on the ground. Sounds funny now but I'd rather not get that close.

20. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Local golf course has skunks real bad. They are tearing the roughs up. Greens keeper said its from grubs in the ground, its a natural food for them and they roll the ground back to get them. They are bad enough at the course along with racoons, they are baiting them with fly bait mixed with a can of coke. They injest this take about 4 steps and fall over. Kinda like giving a seagull an alkaseltzer and they just fold up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.