1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Remove One Piece Grip from Medalist 22 LR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by prairiedog, Jul 9, 2013.

1. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Anyone know how to get the one piece wooden grip off of a Browning Medalist 22 LR target pistol. It has one screw on the left side palm swell. I unscrewed it (it doesn't want to come out of the grip) but the grip won't budge. One you tube video said the grip has to come off at a specific angle or you risk chipping the corners of the grip. I downloaded the manual for the Medalist but it only shows two grips, both two piece.

I can post a pic of the grip if you need to see it.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

VERY CAREFULLY.

Someone who tried to force his off, and broke it, offered me $500 for the one in this picture. It's been years since I took it off so I don't remember exactly how I did it but I recall that I had to monkey around with it for a good while.

Good luck.

-Gary

gw22_2008_030322.jpg

3. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Gary,

I don't suppose there's anything in that Medalist manual in your picture that tells how to get the grip off? Browning would surely include a key and essential piece of info like that, wouldn't they? Of course not. What was I thinking?

4. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

There is an exploded drawing at the above linked scanned copy of the manual.

Hope it helps.

Don T. Littleton CO

5. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Thanks Don, I saved a copy of the manual for future reference. Guess I'll contact Browning and see if they can help.

6. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

I contacted Browning Customer Service today. They told me they no longer provided service on the Medalist and referred me to Midwest Gun Works. I asked if they had any written materials on how to remove the grip and was told no there wasn't any except for the original manual. (which I know now doesn't have any info on removing the one piece grip)

When I called Midwest Gun Works the service technician said he didn't have personal experience removing the grips and declined to advise me on how to take them off over the phone. He did say that his company would disassemble, clean and service the gun for me if I would mail or bring it in. I asked about liability if the grip was damaged during removal/reinstallation. He assured me that would NOT happen as his technicians had done this many times before, had all the appropriate tools and were accustomed to performing to a high standard when working with high dollar products.

I would be interested in any comments from folks who have had personal experience with Midwest Gun Works as I am thinking of having them do the work on the gun.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You will have to get the screw out, then they will have to be slid off just right and carefully. It will not come off until the screw is completely out. Try pulling on the screw while turning it cc. You will need to get some solvent of some kind under the grips as the grips are probably varnished to the frame from age

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Prairiedog:

Did you get it off? If not, say so and I will dig mine out of the safe and figure it out again and post instructions for you.

-Gary

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

OK, here's how to do it:

NOTE: The grip is hand-fitted to the frame and it is rather snug. The screw is LONG and doesn't come out easily, especially if it hasn't been removed in decades. Remember - be careful, the grip is fragile when it's not on the frame.

TOOLS REQUIRED: 1) Small, straight screwdriver; 2) Needle-nose pliers with masking tape over tips.

STEP 1: Remove the magazine and loosen the screw as far as possible with the screwdriver. Or "UN-loosen" it if you are polish, or from West Virginia. (you'll need a sense of humor after you crack or scratch your $700 grip)

gw22_2008_0303324.jpg

STEP 2: Use the tape-covered pliers to wiggle the screw loose and pull it all the way out.

gw22_2008_0303325.jpg

gw22_2008_0303326.jpg

STEP 3: Gently wiggle the grip loose and PIVOT its front end downward as shown...

gw22_2008_0303327.jpg

STEP 4: Keep pivoting...

gw22_2008_0303328.jpg

STEP 5: Now slide it down and back...

gw22_2008_0303329.jpg

All done :)

Don't forget to clean and oil the screw and frame before reassembly.

-Gary

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gary, I just knew you were gonna do that to help the man out!! Good onya guy!!

Hap

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Happy to pay back a little of the help I've gotten on here.

-Gary

12. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Gary,

That's awesome! Thanks for the pics. I disassembled and cleaned it except for the grip and receiver frame under the grip, this morning. But with your step by step how to and pics, I should be able to finish the job, hopefully without any damage. I had looked inside the magazine well and could see that on the front side of the grip it looked like the wood on both sides was down inside the metal receiver frame. It was and I thought how the heck do you get the blasted thing off? Your pics show that the back of the receiver is relieved to allow the grip to pivot off. Without that info, I would have destroyed the grip for sure. Or spent a lot of money to have someone else do it. Thanks again for a great assist!

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

You're welcome, PD. Enjoy your Medalist. It's a sweet, collectable pistol and on top of being pretty, she also has the most amazing factory trigger I've ever fondled.

-Gary

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My Belgian Challenger has a very similar stock. After you do this once it will be easier the next time. They are beautiful well made accurate pistols.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Kudos to ya gary, nice job

Search tags for this page
browning medalist 22 lr hand grips

browning medalist 22 target pistol

browning medalist grips
browning medalist takedown

browning nomad grip removal

browning nomad grips
grips browning nomad
removing browning challenger grip