1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove Gold on Browning Citori?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Anthony.L, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Ok, some are going to have a field day with this. However I'm just not a Gold kind of guy, instead I prefer things like flat black, stainless steel, titanium, etc. If I had to pickup a gun based on finish it would probably be a Ljutic. But as it is I have a one month old Browning Citori XT Trap 32". It has gold in three places, the trigger shoe, trigger block, and slight inlay on the right/left sides of the receiver.

So, any ideas to remove the Gold finish?

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

The question that is begging to be answered, why did you buy it if you don't like the looks of it?

3. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Really? You buy a shotgun because it fits, shoots well, and was in my budget. I shouldered 6 different guns in my price range and XT Trap fit me the best.

You don't buy a shotgun on looks alone. However whats the problem with changing the looks once you find one that fits you well? I see people on here change the wood on their guns all day long because they want "more luxurious" wood.

4. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

There are places that can do that for you, the guys at Umberger stocks did mine, I had one of my triggers and the buckmark on my done in pink, could always find my gun in the gun rack!!!

Deb

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Grinder would work. Paint it flat black when your done. Pretty simple really.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Mercury will dissolve gold.

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Its not REAL gold on Browning's. Call a gun refinisher that has dome lots of Browning's and they will know how to remove it or redo it. Midwest Gun Works and Arts Gun Shop in Missouri have lots of experience with this sort of thing.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Rub it with your thumb a lot, it comes off naturally. I am only half joking.

9. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Well I did some searches on Google and found lots of people like myself asking the same question. Guess I'm not totally crazy. One person recommend Brasso, so off to the garage I went. I took one of the spare triggers that came with the XT that I don't care for anyways and rubbed it with a rag and Brasso. The finish came right off! Now underneath it's polished, but I'm thinking some light steel wool will bring back that dull brushed look I want. Will work more on it later, maybe even post some pics to really piss off you old geezers! =)

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see it, really! If you want to get rid of the knurled flat trigger let me know?

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why would any older shooter really care if you want to turn your gun into a real POS. You obviously have no respect for older shooters and/or your gun.

Don

12. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

This XT will become an instant "parts gun"...and they have a value...not much...but some...

bluedsteel

13. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Leave the gun alone. Nobody will notice if you take off the gold or leave it on.
    This sounds like a guy I know that has to cut his rear foot pegs off his motorcycle. He said it take away from the lines.
    Then he goes to sell it and nobody want to pay what he wants because of the missing rear foot pegs.
    Get the picture.

14. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

See the difference is you guys worry about resale value. I NEVER sell guns, I only buy guns. I make a nice living in my career and can afford to keep and obtain more. This XT will eventually become a backup/loaner for friends and family and will be replaced by something more expensive next season.

I support and respect the right for someone to do with what they will on anything they spend their hard earned money obtaining.

I find it extremely funny that if you google my exact question you find MANY threads on other forums from people asking the exact same question, wanting to remove the exact same things as me. On those forums people replied with constructive feedback and solutions on how to accomplish the questioned asked. Here, I get attacked...says A LOT about this forum and it's members!

15. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I don't think anyone is disputing your "right" to ruin your gun.

bluedsteel

16. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

By the simple fact you and others are saying I'm ruining the gun. Everyone has different tastes, just because you don't share mine doesn't mean it's "ruined". Ruin would be doing something that gravely impacted the performance of the gun, like cutting off 20" of the barrel length. That would be ruined.

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Anthony then maybe you should keep these dumb questions to the other forums.

Bleusteel: I suggest you take a reading comprehension class.

Don

18. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Anthony your are right. It is your gun and you have the right to do what you want to it. I guess it would be like cutting a stock to fit. So removing the gold is making it fit you taste.

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Whenever you ask a question on a public forum, you need to put your big boy panties on. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. If you can't take the good with the bad, the internet is not for you. You said you googled the question and got answers you liked. So why did you come here and ask again?

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Whenever you ask a question on a public forum, you need to put your big boy panties on. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. If you can't take the good with the bad, the internet is not for you. You said you googled the question and got answers you liked. So why did you come here and ask again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

removin gold from browning trigger