Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to remove Gold on Browning Citori?

7K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  MarkyMark 
#1 ·
Ok, some are going to have a field day with this. However I'm just not a Gold kind of guy, instead I prefer things like flat black, stainless steel, titanium, etc. If I had to pickup a gun based on finish it would probably be a Ljutic. But as it is I have a one month old Browning Citori XT Trap 32". It has gold in three places, the trigger shoe, trigger block, and slight inlay on the right/left sides of the receiver.

So, any ideas to remove the Gold finish?

#3 ·
Really? You buy a shotgun because it fits, shoots well, and was in my budget. I shouldered 6 different guns in my price range and XT Trap fit me the best.

You don't buy a shotgun on looks alone. However whats the problem with changing the looks once you find one that fits you well? I see people on here change the wood on their guns all day long because they want "more luxurious" wood.

#9 ·
Well I did some searches on Google and found lots of people like myself asking the same question. Guess I'm not totally crazy. One person recommend Brasso, so off to the garage I went. I took one of the spare triggers that came with the XT that I don't care for anyways and rubbed it with a rag and Brasso. The finish came right off! Now underneath it's polished, but I'm thinking some light steel wool will bring back that dull brushed look I want. Will work more on it later, maybe even post some pics to really piss off you old geezers! =)

#13 ·
Leave the gun alone. Nobody will notice if you take off the gold or leave it on.
This sounds like a guy I know that has to cut his rear foot pegs off his motorcycle. He said it take away from the lines.
Then he goes to sell it and nobody want to pay what he wants because of the missing rear foot pegs.
Get the picture.

#14 ·
See the difference is you guys worry about resale value. I NEVER sell guns, I only buy guns. I make a nice living in my career and can afford to keep and obtain more. This XT will eventually become a backup/loaner for friends and family and will be replaced by something more expensive next season.

I support and respect the right for someone to do with what they will on anything they spend their hard earned money obtaining.

I find it extremely funny that if you google my exact question you find MANY threads on other forums from people asking the exact same question, wanting to remove the exact same things as me. On those forums people replied with constructive feedback and solutions on how to accomplish the questioned asked. Here, I get attacked...says A LOT about this forum and it's members!

#16 ·
By the simple fact you and others are saying I'm ruining the gun. Everyone has different tastes, just because you don't share mine doesn't mean it's "ruined". Ruin would be doing something that gravely impacted the performance of the gun, like cutting off 20" of the barrel length. That would be ruined.

#19 ·
Whenever you ask a question on a public forum, you need to put your big boy panties on. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. If you can't take the good with the bad, the internet is not for you. You said you googled the question and got answers you liked. So why did you come here and ask again?

#20 ·
Whenever you ask a question on a public forum, you need to put your big boy panties on. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. If you can't take the good with the bad, the internet is not for you. You said you googled the question and got answers you liked. So why did you come here and ask again?

#21 ·
Now I am starting understand why I see almost perfect vintage Colt Woodsman's with social security numbers etched along the side of the receiver, Winchester Model 12's with nailed-on homemade grip caps, pre-64 Winchester's with 14 holes drilled in the reciver for mounting a variety of sights, and now a Browning XT with the gold dredged out of it.

Obviously, and without question, it was well within the owner's "right" to do these things to their guns. That doesn't change the fact that the gun was somehow defaced or ruined.

Now I am starting to see how these things actually take place. It was always a mystery to me...

bluedsteel

#22 ·
Not quite, bluedsteel, but close. Most of these 'Gomer' changes came as a result of amateur gunsmiths. These are those fellows who worked on older cars when cars could be worked on, to some extent. These same shade tree mechanics become shade tree gunsmiths, and use every approach and wrong application to fix or improve their firearm. Some are very good and do excellent work; others are terrible and you see their work every day. A good gunsmith's work is not noticeable; a shade tree gunsmith's work is obvious, and mostly poor.....get the idea?

#23 ·
I wouldn't buy a gun with gold on it, nor any type of engraving. I hate it, I purchased a Perazzi not long ago, paid a little extra to have the trigger matted. I have turned down many guns due to gold and engraving. The only gun I ever bought with gold was a Purdy Funeral Grade pigeon gun owned by a great live pigeon shooter, that one was a must have. I understand where you're coming from, it's not ruining a gun it's what you want. Besides what's it gonna matter in 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.