1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove an Edwards recoil reducer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nitro 100, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

I just bought a gun that has an Edwards in the stock. The reducer is very tight. How do you remove it so that I can get the stock off? Thanks for any help.

Jerry Nickell

2. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

they are threaded, i think a #10 or so and pull/pry. jim w.

3. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Just looked at an Edwards that I have in my tool box. No threaded hole. The way I got mine out was bumping the stock against a hard rubber matt. Be careful not to damage the stock.

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW, the Edwards reducers that I've seen all have the threaded hole that Jim described, the sole purpose of to give you a way of pulling it back out. Maybe the early ones didn't?

John C. Saubak

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Take the pad off and fire a few shots from the gun. Worked for me. The recoil moved the reducer back to where I could grab it to pull it out the rest of the way. The early Edwards did not have any holes for extraction.

Big Jack

6. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

Thanks for the input. I will try shooting it with the pad off. I do not think this will work because it is a couple of inches in the tang bolt hole and nothing to keep it from moving. It did not move that I can tell and I shot it 50-60 rounds. Thanks again.

Jerry

7. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

A few months ago I had exactly the same problem on a KS-5 and none of the above stuff worked. I drilled and tapped a 1/4" hole in the reducer and made a puller. This resulted in pulling the end cap, springs and weight out of the reducer. Next a hole was drilled in the inside end cap to access the stock bolt. After removing the stock you can knock out the remaining reducer tube. Good luck with this. Joe

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I had the same problem, I got it out by having a big strong fella (my son) hold the stock & receiver "very securely" while I held a foot long scrap of 2X4 against the bottom end of the stock and smacked it with a hammer, I was surprised how tight it was, had to hit pretty hard quite a few times until it backed out an inch or so where I could get a hold on it with a vice grip or big pair of pliers. I also have another one mercury type that has a 1\4 inch X STD thread hole. I tried all of the other above suggested methods but mine was really tight and took some heavy duty persuasion. Be careful, they will come out. Ross Puls

9. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Dont ruin your receiver or stock by banging it. Drill a hole in the reducer, pull it out and throw it away.

10. 333t

333t Member

Shooting the gun will tend to drive it deeper.

Phil

11. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

You might try JB Weld and attach a 3/8 bolt head with about 3 or 4 inches of threads to use as a puller. Like a steering wheel puller. Never did this...just a thought. Ray

12. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

You may be able to start a long self tapping sheet metal screw at bottom and use this to pull. just a thought, never tried it. jim w.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.