1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove a stuck choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I just purchased a new gun to find that the choke is stuck in the unsingle barrel. The problem choke is an extended type without any slots with which to grab it with a choke removal tool. It has a rough exterior surface that sticks beyond the barrel to allow a good grip on the choke but it is really stuck in there. I have tried a vice grip tool wrapped in a cloth to protect the choke surface but no luck as the vice grip slips before the choke will turn. The CG comes with a removal tool that sticks in the end of the choke but the choke is so tight that the tool slips before the choke will turn. Any ideas short of grabbing the sucker with a pipe wrench and damaging it beyond repair would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Doug

2. steele

steele TS Member

This might sound drastic, but it works. A few years ago I had a stuck tube in a Ljutic. I got a 3-4" piece of copper pipe, drilled a hole thru it about 1" from the end. I scuffed the rest of it pretty rough. I cleaned the inside of the tube & used Accru-Glas expoxy to glue the copper in the stuck tube. It setup overnight. I put a screwdriver thru the hole I drilled in the copper, using it as a spanner wrench. The tube came out with a little grunting. Accru-Glas doesn't not like heat, so I put the tube with the copper still attached in a small pot of water & heated it. 10-15 minutes was all it took for the Accru-Glas to soften & they all came apart. I put a bore brush on a cordless drill to polish out any left over Glas. It takes a little time, but it came out w/o damaging anything. Butch

3. Mark Kurruk

Mark Kurruk Member

I have used Kroil to remove some pretty stuborn tubes. Just squeeze a little bit into the front of the barrel several times during a day and try to remove every couple of hours or so. The most stubborn ones have come out in a day or two.
    Mark

4. fly

fly Active Member

warm up the tube with a lighter, that will usually soften the carbon/oils that are holding it tight. If it's rust holding it, this trick won't work.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Mark, your method is a proven success in most cases.

BTW, you have a flinch, you might consider a release keyboard, it worked for some trap shooters.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Anyone use Kroil ???

7. Mark Kurruk

Mark Kurruk Member

Thanks for tip for removing the posts. Love the part about the flinch. Will look into a release keyboard.
    Mark

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Kroil soaking for 3-4 days plus heat will work on rusted threads, but very few tubes are stuck due to rust. Most are stuck due to a fusion caused by hot gasses, plastic and carbon forming a sort of an epoxy. They are a bear to remove. In your case, you are lucky that it's an extended tube and you don't need one of those $100 stuck choke removal tools. I would secure the bbl in a vise, heat the end of the bbl (not too much) and remove the tube with a pipe wrench. Yeah, the tube will be trashed, but it'll be out.

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Bridger has it. 2 or 3 days with the end of the barrel standing in Kroil and it will come out. Good luck, Bob

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Kroil. Wayne

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This is drastic:

put the barrel in a lathe, and turn the choke tube out with a boring tool.

Yes, I have seen it done. You lose the choke, and learn a lesson.

HM

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I have a stuck "M" choke in one of the used Beretta 302 Field guns I bought, since it's what I use 99% of the time, I never bothered to take it out. One day I'll try the Kroil.

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Another thing you can try is turning the tube in the TIGHTEN direction. I was taught this trick decades ago. Many a threaded fastener that will not back out will move slightly in the tighten direction, if it does you have broken it loose.

14. fly

fly Active Member

If you want it out now while at the range, warm it up with a lighter, and you will get instant results. Or soak it for 2-3 days if time doesn't matter. Warming it up will not damage anything, and you can turn it out with a choke tube wrench if it has one.

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I got a electric heat gun at home depot just for this it works great better than a flame and I have used it for many other jobs as well inexpensive looks like a hair dryer has hi and low range. It really gets hot so be careful where you place it to cool down after use.
    Buddy

16. gkinla

gkinla Member

If you use heat be carefull not to melt the Bradley, Hi-Viz or any other plastic front sight you might have. I watched a shooter heat the bbl to loosen the choke tube, applied a little too much heat, oops. gkinla

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I had a barrel with a seized tube like you described... extended tube with no wrench slots. I used a drill press to drill a 1/4" hole through the exposed part of the tube (through and through) and used a 12" piece of 1/4" drill rod through the hole as handles to turn it out.

In hindsight, I really should have taken it to a gunsmith.

MK

18. steele

steele TS Member

MK, That is what I sorta did with using the AcraGlass in the tube. I didn't have to ruin the tube & still got the leverage of the "spanner" rod. I've done this procedure a few times for guys at the club. Always worked & never any damage to barrel or tube. Butch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stuck choke removal