1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to remember to turn auto saftey off?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

My "new" break open trap gun has a safety which puts itself into the safe position every time the gun is cycled.

Playing with it at home with snap caps I find myself forgetting to put the safety into the fire position before pulling the trigger. This would be a problem on the trap line. Does putting the safety on "fire" become second nature. Are there tricks to help the memory?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

have a gunsmith remove the auto feature, an auto safety has NO use on a target shotgun.

3. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

must be a Ruger of some sort

4. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Iver Johnson not a Ruger:

[​IMG]

5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Unless you plan to use it as a field gun, have the safety pinned by a gunsmith in the hot (unsafe) position.

I agree.....clay target guns do not need operating safeties and especially should not have auto-safties.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Most auto safeties aren't difficult to make go away. The safety is between your ears. An auto safety teaches you not to use the REAL safety, the one between your ears. Have it changed to a manual safety.

7. Mapper

Mapper Member

Most of them have a little piece of wire/rod/whatever attached to the top lever.
    It is no trick to have a gunsmith remove it. The safety will still work manually for hunting.

8. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

For the benefit of newbies...

Most single barrel target guns* don't have a mechanical safety. The reason? A target gun is either unloaded with the action open or it is loaded and ready to fire.

If a gun is unloaded with the action open, a mechanical safety serves no purpose. OTOH, a gun should NEVER be loaded and ready to fire unless and until the shooter is also ready and prepared to fire. In that case a mechanical safety also serves no purpose.

As wireguy stated, the only REAL safety is between a shooter's ears.

sissy

* Some gun models are built in both target and non-target configurations. Examples include Beretta 300 series semi-autos, Remington 1100/1187, and various pump action guns like M-12's, 870's, etc. The target version of these guns typically include a mechanical safety. As several posters have noted, mechanical safeties on dedicated target guns can and often are disabled. That doesn't make them any less safe because safety is the result of shooter behaviors - NOT mechanical gadgets.

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Hire Mark Harmon from NCIS to stand in back of you and he`ll smack you in the back of your head every time you forget . Soon it will come easier !!!! Or maybe the puller can do that for free !!!

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Either open it up and figure out how to do it yourself (my Beretta was pretty easy) or have a gunsmith do it. It's the most annoying thing you can imagine on the range. I almost threw my gun after the third time that I forgot to take it off.

11. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Bushmaster: I have a Stevens 311 which also has the auto safety feature. It also activates when you lever the action which means there is a linkage between the lever and the safety. As stated above you can have a GS remove the feature, and this is the best way to deal with this issue permanently.

I totally agree with everyone on the safety between the ears being the primary. But the "Safety between the ears" should also be the one that engages the manual safety in the first place, and not someones, or more properly "some Lawyers" idea of how to keep one safe, doing it for you, cuz you might forget and shoot yourself, cuz you're too stupid to act right.

There is NO substitute, and really NO excuse for poor or unsafe gun handling! This is the first thing you learn, when learning how to shoot and the first thing you should think of anytime you touch a gun! It's as simple as that. The safety is redundent.

Incidentially that is a nice looking gun, you said Iver-Johnson? Approx when was it made? it also appears to have a Trap style raised rib too?

Randy

12. Kalina

Kalina TS Member

I shoot a feild grade Beretta and just take the safety off before shouldering the gun. Leaving the safety on is pretty distracting but you will get used to it going on after awhile or just get it taken off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.