1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to reload a popper shell?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doug Brown, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Looking to reload some popper shells for dog training, any recepies? Thanks

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

check with them, they have the load data.... Grubby

3. deadpair51

deadpair51 Member

If you are talking about noise conditioning ,I used a marine flare gun with shortened 12ga rounds with only the primer, no crimp . They are loud !!

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used a paper hull with only a Fed 209 primer, then moved up to a real light load

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Check this site out.

There is a reference to loading black powder blank shells...

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I use Bullock's information to load 12 ga blanks to scare off pigeons and gulls but I don't load them as strong as he does.

A hull cutter takes the crimp folds off a Remington hull. A Federal primer seals the hole in the bottom. 60 grains of FFg black powder fills the bottom of the hull and a pressed cardboard disc cut out with a sharpened Browning factory IM choke tube holds the powder inside. Don't crimp them. Wash the barrel with hot water when you're done for the day.

You could probably go lower on the powder charge, I've just never tried it.

MK

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Used to make some awesome blanks with whatever primer and hull, 30-40 grains of PB and enough Alcan card wads to fill the hull high enough to crimp it. If I remember correctly, it was listed in one of the old Lyman books. Might have been elsewhere, but be careful, since those card wads will be fired out with lethal force at close range. I also wouldn't use it in my prize shotgun. I'd always worry about a card wad getting out of place and causing damage to the barrel. Not likely, but it would still worry me. Shot many hundreds of these things many years ago in an old H&R Single Barrel. Never a problem. I also cut a bunch down to about 2 3/8" for a final length near 2". I used a VERY deep crimp. Even tried them with a roll crimp with success. Those card wads would put a serious dent in a 3/32" Iron plate at 15-20 feet. My neighbor made them to get rid of Blue Jays at 6 AM. I don't know if he hit any with the wads, but the Blue Jays seemed to have moved elsewhere. I thought a 5MM Sheridan was more efficient and a bit more discreet, but to each his own.

8. RDM

RDM TS Member

Use what ever trap load you want, light or heavy. Then use powdered grits instead of shot. Place a shot card over the grits and then crimp the hull.
    I have used this load to train dogs with, sounds just like the real thing.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

What an absolutely terrible waste of good grits!!

MK

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

MK

Good Grits - that is an oxymoron.

Glad to see there is a use for the stuff after all.

Don Verna - aka damn Yankee

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

A neighbor many years ago loaded a muzzle loader with a tablespoon of raw popcorn. There was a rumor of a "peeping tom" in the neighborhood and he wanted to have something to scare him off.

Well, one night we heard the sound of someone running through our backyard, a "boom", a piercing yell and a crash as somebody fell into a short picket fence around a flower bed.

The neighbor, gun in hand, told us that he saw a face in his bedroom window and went into action. He said that he shot he man in his backside at about 25 yards while the man was running and that the man nearly cleared a 42" tall chain link fence in a single bound after he was shot.

The next morning, we found a few blood stains on a portion of the picket fence that had been pushed down.

We never saw or heard of another "peeping tom" again.

Ed Ward

12. butcher

butcher Member

Use a light load and use oil dry for filler then crimp.

13. gridlock

gridlock Member

I have 12 to 14 boxes of winchester 410 factory blanks(25perbox)that I will sell $10.00 per box.plus shipping. PM if interested. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.