1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to reduce recoil on BT 99??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MJC1963, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJC1963

MJC1963 TS Member

What is the best way to reduce the recoil on a bt 99
    I posted a thread about a custom stock everyone said my 14 yr old son would out grow it soon.
    After last two night at the range we have notice him dropping his gun as soon as the trigger is pulled
    When he keeps in the gun we noticed it just pounds him knocking his head off the stock
    Any help??????
    Thanks

2. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

7/8 ounce loads, Limbsaver recoil pad. mercury weight inside the stock and if recoil is still too much, have Clyde slide installed by one of the posters at TS.com. If stock work is not an option, maybe a used Remington 1100 with a youth synthetic monte carlo stock and forearm. For what its worth. JM

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

What loads are you using?

4. MJC1963

MJC1963 TS Member

remington gun clubs 1oz 2 3/4 drams

5. rick979

rick979 Active Member

get him an 1100...BTs can be kickers.

6. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

OK, here goes, for what it's worth. I had the same problem when I first got my BT-99 way back in the dark ages. I wound up lengthening the forcing cone, putting 6 ounces of lead in the forearm (wanted both halves of the BT-99 to weigh the same as my Broadway), switching to a better recoil pad, and going exclusively to Green Dot for reloads. Made a noticeable difference, and I still shoot the thing today. Can't blame recoil for the misses, either...

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

All of the above. Barrel weight, mercury reducer, forcing cones, light loads. The extreme measure would be a recoil device that has the cheek weld mounted to it, not to the gun.

But get a competent stock fitting first.

You might also watch his stance. Young shooters have a tendency to lean back to counterbalance the gun, insted of bending the front knee to enable upright shooting.

He may be holding the gun too loosely, also. This would insure that it can pound him as it jumps around.

Gjood luck.

HM

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I had a BT99 and the recoil was to much for me. I had the forcing cone done, ported, graCoil with LOP, 8oz weight in the stock..
    I shot 1oz loads and still the recoil was uncomfortable. I sold the gun and got a Beretta. Don't even know I'm shooting it.
    It seem that some people just have trouble with BT99 and I was one of them.

9. zinger

zinger Member

PFS...this way, as he grows, so will the stock

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I had a counter coil installed on mine best $$ I've spent as it relates to shooting. Can really tell the difference when I shoot someone's W/O a recoil reducer. I also agree on the 1100 option.

11. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

Have somebody install a gracoil or RAD or some other recoil device that has a length adjustment to allow for growth. IMO nothing reduces recoil as much as these units do simply because they act like shock absorbers for your shoulder. I wouldn't shoot without one.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Is the stock getting solidly into his shoulder pocket? If it isn't, the gun is going to be free to jump on recoil. Look at the shape of his shoulder pocket. You may need a butt plate that will allow the butt to fully interface with the shoulder pocket. Check the pitch, I would think it should be 90 degrees to the barrel. It sounds to me like he isn't tied into the gun somehow. Is he mounting it high on the shoulder to make it fit? With part of the butt in the air?

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

tigman46, I've added 32 ounces of lead weight to my P MX-3 stock. Added around 22 to my B 303 too. After I shoulder the guns, whats to balance? My bird hunting guns ARE balanced though because I carry them more than fire them, makes it easier to throw the gun to the shoulder for quick shots!

A light BT-99 needs more added weight along with light loads too!

Hap

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have one with an adjustable Graicoil on it and also an elastomer recoil pad

Stock was slightly relieved to be more comfortable for a right hand shooter

Just rebuilt the locking bolt- and springs

The only additional thing you could do to this is get some of those kickeez cheek pads that you just stick on

It also has an adjustable buttplate up and down- pitch- etc

$807 shipped

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best recoil pad for bt 99
best recoil reduction for bt99
browning bt99 recoil reducing device

counter coil recoil reducer for bt99

how to install recoil reducer bt99 shotgun