1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to rectify a specific flinch?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrrem3200, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I shoot trap, sheet and sporting clays however I only flinch when shooting trap. I think it’s because I anticipate the bird. I always know what path the birds will take in skeet and sporting clays. The flinch is quite frustrating. Does anyone have any thoughts of how to rectify it?

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, try increasing the trigger pull. A heavier trigger will help some shooters. Lighter loads may help. Make certain your vision is good. Not seeing a target well can cause some to flinch. After that, begin thinking about a release trigger.

Pat Ireland

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Given enough time you'll probably flinch at all the other games mentioned. Unfortunately, Trap seems to be the flinchiest game in town. Listen to Pat and seriously consider release triggers in the future!!

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

mrrem3200: You are doing exactly as I have done. My flinches come when I shoot trap. I very seldom flinch while shooting sporting clays, skeet and even doubles. That's because, (in my opinion), a person knows where the targets will be thrown. (No surprises). I have tried every way that has been suggested on this forum and could not stop the dreaded flinch. I ended up using a release trigger. It made shooting fun again. I still use a pull trigger for sporting clays, skeet and doubles. However, when shooting 16 yard and handicap a release is a must. (At least for me) You will probably find out that when you shoot a bad score and try harder to solve the problem; you will end up flinching even more. The release will give you your confidence back and lead to better scores. Good Luck. Ed

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Learn to read the trap. That way you will know the path of the target and avoid flinching. If you make a mistake and the bird doesn't come out where you think it was going to come out you will be able to use the FTF rule. This rule allows you not to shoot at a legal target due to an involuntary flinch. You are allowed 2 per sub event for a total of 8 per 100 targets. HMB

6. breakingclays99

breakingclays99 Member

I highly suggest a release trigger. I went to a release a few years ago, and I absolutely love it. Also, it stopped my flinching. As a result, my scores went up, and I'm a more confident shooter.

Melissa Barthel

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Congratulations Melissa. You now joined the ranks of the many women who now found a release trigger made them a better shooter. That was unheard of 20 years ago!!

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

HMB,

The FTF rule allows 2 per 25 target sub event for a total of 8/100 not 4/100.

Eric

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The idea of setting up for a shot with the intention of finding a reason to not shoot a target is not my idea of having a good day on the field.

There HAS to be a better way to cure a flinch.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Eric- You were almost accurate. The F to F rule allows two per sub event. A sub event may be 20 targets, 30 targets, 25 targets or 50 targets in ATA events. Not too many will remember the 20 and 30 target sub events, but they are still legal.

I intentionally omitted the 10 target shoot off sub event that is very common.

Pat Ireland

11. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Flinch- release trigger- No flinch. Pretty simple.

12. straightaway

straightaway TS Member

In trapshooting, your "on board computer" will figure out exactly what sight picture is required to smoke a target.

If you don't have that exact sight picture when you go to pull the trigger, your brain sends conflicting messages to your muscles, resulting in your flinch. I'd be willing to bet you have a leading hand flinch - right handed shooter jerks gun around with left hand.

You can work at increasing your focus on the target. Make sure it is a "defined object" before moving to and shooting it.

A release trigger will definately help, but, if it is a vision thing, a release is not the complete cure. Focus is. (I'm a 25+ year release user)

For real insight and competent information on this, get in touch with Phil Kiner.

Have a nice day! Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.