1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to properly load the magazine tube of M-12?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with Winchester model 12, the other day while I was testing/patterning one I found the magazine shell catch (shell stopper) only momentarily activated when ejecting fired hulls.

In another word, the shells in the magazine tube were held by the front of the carrier (lifter). Like this:

[​IMG]
    I use snap caps for picture.

Not a problem until I tried to load more shells into the magazine, when I push in the carrier (lifter) to load the second shell, the first shell in the tube came back out of the tube like this:

[​IMG]
    The only thing stopped the shells in the magazine tube from dropping out is the new shell I'm trying to load.

So, my question is, what's the proper way to load more shells into the magazine tube? Any trick?

Thank you for your advise.

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

You didn't push the first one in far enough.

3. Steve W

Joe, I did.

I push the shells (or snap caps) in as further as over 1" pass the opening of the magazine tube. .

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

To load the magazine on a Mod 12:

1. Close the bolt

2. Place a shell on the lifter and depress it

3. Push the shell into the magazine past the cartridge cut off

4. repeat until full.

On the other hand the cart. cut off may not be in properly, or is damaged.

5. Steve W

Thank you for your replies.

Ahab,

Are you saying the "cartridge cut off" should hold the shells when the bolt is closed? I spoke to two M-12 owners (both are old), their "cartridge cut off" doesn't held the shells when bolt is closed. They hold the shells when the bolt is open.

Thanks.

6. fishguts

fishguts Member

The shell lifter holds the shells in the magazine, not the cartridge cut-off. It may take some time to learn to load the magazine and get the knack of using one shell to push another into the magazine tube. Your photo #2 shows you properly loading a shell.

Wayne

7. Steve W

Wayne,

Thank you very much for reassuring my loading skill is correct and indeed the gun was designed to act like this.

On this particular model 12, I have an extra 20" riot barrel perfect for home defense, but because of it's unique operating method (forearm locking, magazine loading etc.) I think I better stay with my Police model 870 then.

Thank you again.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

When I had a Model 12, I had trouble after firing with the shell in the magazine hopping back into the magazine because of recoil inertia. Other people told me I should have bought a new magazine spring from Wolff to fix my problem.

9. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Sometimes you can "unload" one real quick while trying to fill'er up. Cold fingers and one slip and you got bullets on the ground. I don't think too many folks hunt with a Model 12 anymore. Most Model 12's are one shooters. Dandy pheasant gun.

10. Steve W

That's what I'v experienced.

I need to load them very carefully, or I'll see shells on the ground.

I think it's fine to shoot ATA with it, never worry about loading the magazine with more than one shells.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

2nded You did not push the first shell or the preceeding shell in far enough.

Longtime model 12 shooter.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Steve, the more you use the model 12 the more familiar you become with the loading process. It will become so automatic in nature you could load it on the dead run!

The gun is tough, something like 11 internal parts can be broken and the gun will still operate and fire! I'd choose the model 12 over all others for dependability when needed!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.