1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to process reclaimed lead? Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by new loader, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Last year I bought some reclaimed lead shot that was processed so nicely you wouldn't believe it. Looked like a jug full of ball bearings. That source has dried up now, so I want to attempt this myself. I got some lead that has been sifted and is fairly clean, but I want to make it like the other stuff I bought. Anybody done this with any success and minimal mess?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Depends on what you mean by mess. Mine was from a pond, and I turned it in water for a few hours using a 5 gallon rotary drywall mud mixer. Then I rinsed and spread it on a tarp to dry. After cleaning a good quantity I put it back in the mixer, with about a half teaspoon of graphite per 50 lbs. Nice and shiny after an hour or so.

My mixer only held about 50 or so lbs.

A larger concrete mixer could do more.

I was doing other things round the house, so It wasn't a big hassle. Went through 3 Thousand pounds this way.

HM

3. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

In June, I will be looking to buy a couple (1-5) drums of reclaimed shot. I try to buy as close to Omaha so I can to keep the transportation cost down. If anybody reading this thread is aware of any mining near Omaha this summer, please email me. I can drive to Vandalia, but at $3+ per gallon, it gets a little expensive since each drum weighs more than a ton!!

4. new loader

new loader Member

Halfmile: Only 1/2 teaspoon per 50 lbs? That hardly seems like anything at all.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Its true. If you use too much it comes out dull. You can tell, also because some is left over and didn't get applied to the shot when you take it out.

It would depend on the porosity and size of the shot, but that is how i ercall it. Get the graphite from the John Deere dealer. A quart bottle is about 4 bucks or so.

HM

6. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

I have only a bag or two that needs to be tumbled but I don't have a rotary tumbler. I do, however, have one of the vibrating rifle/pistol case cleaners. Could this be used to clean up the shot in small quantities, say 5#s at a time?

Bayrat

7. new loader

new loader Member

Progress report: Today I tried to polish some shot, and the results are not satisfactory. My shot was as clean as I could make it, so into the cement mixer it went. Less than 1 tablespoon graphite for 150+ lbs. All it did was generate dust, with no polishing whatsoever. Tried blowing dust out with a leaf blower, but no real success. Next batch I thought I would rinse it again and tumble it a little damp to hold down the dust. No significant improvement. Next batch I mixed the first 2 batches together and re-tumbled the whole lot, but this time all I got was a wet mess. Last batch of the day was tumbled dry with nothing added. Still generated lots of dust, with no polishing accomplished. All was dull as halfmile experienced. Seems to me that 1) the shot would polish itself from the tumbling action and 2) it doesn't seem that adding graphite into the mix would do any good until all the dust is removed from the batch. What can I do to fine tune this operation? I still have use of the mixer tomorrow, so I can backtrack and redo today's failures. Have 1/2 ton total to process.

8. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Add enough water to just cover the shot plus a non-foaming detergent like diswasher soap, say a half cup. Tumble, probably an hour or two, drain off the detergent, tumble again for a few minutes with clean water, spread out to dry.

9. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

From OmahaSportingSupply's post, can one assume that there is reclaimed shot for sale from the former ATA grounds? If so how much per barrel?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I take 25 pounds and put it in a ammo can with 1/4 spoon worth of graphite. It comes out nicely. I just flip the can over and over for about a min or so. 1/4 TS is all you need. I plan to get something or make something to tumble it for me but for now I just use the ammo can.

11. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.