1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to prevent Static when reloading?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cec, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cec

cec TS Member

How do you prevent static when reloading.
    Hopefully this will eliminate powder creap and clining.

2. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I use a cut one inch wide strip from an antistatic dryer sheet taped to the outside of my <i>MEC</i> powder bottle and let it dangle down into the powder column. It almost goes all the way to the bottom. I don't notice any cling or creep, never realy did but it can't hurt.

You might also try taping a piece of dryer sheet on the inside of your powder funnel so when you add powder it is poured onto the dryer sheet before it goes in to your reloader.

tom

3. billn

billn Member

Make sure that it is high enough not to block your your neck opening in the bottle, cut it high enough to be about one inch or higher then the neck, this way it won't block any powder when it gets low or when you are filling.

4. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I have not tried this for reloading, but we have a anti-static mat in front of our server in my office. It has a wire that grounds to the face place of an outlet. You have to buy the mat, but it sure removes the static.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you keep the Relative Humidity around 50% you will not have any problem with static. Reloading should be done in a controlled environment. Add moisture in the Winter months and remove it in the Summer months. This way you will not have issues with static or rust on the reloader parts that are not painted or chrome plated.

Jim Skeel

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Dryer sheets are nothing but a synthetic paper coated with wax and a scent solvent. When the sheet gets hot in the dryer, the wax comes off on the fabrics and reduces the fabric-to-fabric friction that produces the static charge. They're not magic. They don't work if they're cold and the only powder flakes that could even possibly remotely benefit are the ones that actually touch the sheet.

I'd be more concerned about contaminating powder with wax and solvent.

Strange urban legend...

Carol Lister

7. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

Wash your bottles in dilute soap and water solution, then don't rinse and allow to thoroughly dry. This will prevent any static.

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Ground the reloader if you have a static problem. Put a one megohm resister in the ground circut.

Don Verna

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I do not recommend grounding the reloader, even with the resistor Don recommends. It doesn't do the job you are asking for. You are the cause of static on the hulls, via your handling of them. That's what makes the powder cling. Ground yourself with an antistatic mat as suggested above, or an antistatic wristband. Don't try to make one yourself. They are inexpensive and tailored for the job.

10. Rvator97

Rvator97 TS Member

This works for me: get a can of "Static Guard" aerosol and give your empty hulls a light spray before reloading.......eliminates all powder clinging to the sides of the hulls.

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This has been hashed to death all over the WWW.........GROUNDING your Reloader has no affect on static.....none ....nadda, waste of time. Your Reloader has no static in it,per se, it's the plastic, and powder......AND you

"BE NICE"

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've found the best way to control static is to control the humidity. Winter is usually the issue, so a small humidifier can work wonders. Dehumidifier in the summer if the humidity is very high, but that has little to do with static.

Grounding the press is ok, as long as you have frequent contact with it to dissipate static from your body. The 1 Meg Ohm resistor is a MUST! All of the ESD grounding straps and mats use the resistor, whether in the individual device or located at a central connection point. It allows static to dissipate, while limiting current. A water pipe ground might be the best point to ground to. I don't usually trust house wiring, unless you have the means to verify the ground. You can put antistatic mats in the bottom of the bins holding your hulls and wads if you really want to get involved in all of that, or place the bins on top of one of those mats.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The static potential comes from the operator. It is not difficult to ground yourself. We do it frequently during the Winter when we open our car door. You can touch a metal pipe, get a grounding mat or stick a copper wire into some opening in your body and wrap the other end around a pipe. Adding moisture to the air will work and so will loading with a little powder clinging to the sides of the powder hopper. I can't see how that would affect anything.

Pat Ireland

14. 221

Grounding your loader is just asking for a spark to occur.

15. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"... stick a copper wire into some opening in your body and wrap the other end around a pipe."</blockquote>

Pat, there is a more comfortable alternative. Go to any computer/electronics/Radio Shack (online or otherwise) and buy a computer tech's grounding wrist strap. <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

One end goes around the wrist or ankle and the other end clips to ground; $5-$10 on line. Enter <I>grounding wrist strap</i> into Google Shopping for sources.

... and for dverna, here's a special (and more expensive} model that serious on-site techs use:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Plugs into an outlet, checks the current and the ground, grounds the technician AND has the 1 meg resistor built right in. Also a bit more expensive.

Carol Lister

16. 221

HAHA.....Pat...having visions of a bull cinch....LOL

"BE NICE"

17. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jim Skeel has this one nailed! Dry air causes more static charge than all the rest combined.

Air too wet, will cause improper metering of the powder due to clumping.

I've learned over the years to let new bottles of powder breath for a hour or two before using. This allows it to pick up some moisture and discharge the static electricity.

I generally coat my powder bottle with graphite (rolling a little shot does the trick) if it has been a while since I last loaded any shells.

If I have hulls that's been stored in plastic containers for a long time, I'll pour what I'm going to use into a fabric hamper a couple of days before using them.

I have very consistant loads and average about 1 blooper for every 1000 shot. I can live with that.

ss

18. quartering

quartering Active Member

How to prevent Static when reloading??????????

a hull collator is a static making machine. ground it and the powder drop die. problem solved. btw, you gave zero details: machine? feeder? powder? floor surface? relative humidity? good luck with it

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Carol- Different people enjoy different things. Some might like your wrist thing and others might enjoy a simple copper wire. A few might even select 8 gage aluminum wire.

Pat Ireland

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I quit using E3 & Titegroup, problem solved

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to use a dryer sheet to help with reloading powder

anti static mats for relaoding

anti static reloading mat

antistaic mat reloadimg

how to eliminate static on mec powder bottle