1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Practice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rhymeswithorange, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Been shooting for awhile but new to ATA. Doing my first registered shoot in mid-July and would like some tips on how to practice. I have access to a practice trap with voice release, can lock the machine. I'll be shooting singles and handicap from 20 yds. I've been going after hours and shooting 4 rds of singles and two rounds of handicap straight thru but I'm not sure this is the most effective way to practice.

One other thing, I break more targets from 20 yds than 16 on avg. Using LightMod, any ideas?

Thanks very much in advance

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are doing fine - way more than most, really - and my main suggestion would be to switch to a tighter choke, Improved Modified at the least, for both practice and the ATA events.

I shoot more than half my practice with a locked trap. I start with it at a hard angle right or left, then walk around, usually starting where is about a straightaway and moving into the hard angle. When I've got that about as right as I'm likely to, I switch the trap to the other hard angle and repeat. I only shoot unknown angles at the end.

Neil

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Orange...First of all make sure your gun fits you properly.Next, get someone that knows trapshooting to watch you, the worst thing new shooters do is shoot, shoot, and shoot some more, and all they are doing, is practicing their mistakes....

Gun fit is the most important aspect of this game.
    A light load is all you need, and like Neil said, tighten up on your choke, it will help you point out your targets better.

4. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

Practice with 7/8oz. loads at the same velocity as your registered loads. Same leads, but with less wiggle room on the point. You got to be on them. It will quickly expose any sloppiness and force you to tighten up.

5. 3357

3357 Member

I agree with Niel,Once your gun fits, lock trap on hard right, start on post one and work your way to the right (I shoot a box of shells at each post). Then lock trap on hard left, begin at post five and work your way back, you will have fired one flat of shells, increased your stamina and will have learned (and ingrained in your sub-concious)proper lead and the subtle points of your gun as well as invaluable confidence building from repeatedly smoking the target. It is important not to rush, shoot deliberately and with purpose,if you get tired or careless, take a break, then begin again with purpose.....stay focused.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

I don't lock the trap. I want to practice with unknown angles. When I practice, I open the club at a time when I am the only person there. I dump 50-75 shells in my vest pocket and shoot 30-40 from post one. I will then shoot 20-30 from post five. Next I go back to the 27 and shoot from several posts.

My problem with practice is that I find it difficult to maintain the mental intensity needed to break a good score in ATA events.

We often complain about shooting a registered event in heavy rain or strong winds but few, if any, of us would go to the club during a rain storm and practice under those conditions.

Pat Ireland

7. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Practice with the intention of working on one aspect of shooting at a time.
    Rule #1, work on one thing at a time.

Rule #2, cease using the word practice and replace it with Training.
    You are Training, right?

Rule #3, Always strive to Keep it Simple, and never forsake saftey as you TRAIN.

Sharing,
    Gunnerx

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The reason gun fit is important is that a gun with stock dimensions that fit your particular size and shape allows you to use the shooting form (gun mount, stance and shooting posture) that promises the greatest shooting success.

Most important benefit of a good form is that it helps to keep the head in exactly the same place relative to the rib, during swings to targets. That maintains the POI that patterning leads you to expect on all shots.

Rollin

9. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Thank you, very helpful

10. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Kay Ohye has some nifty exercises in his books that work well. One I like is changing hold point on 1 and 5 to the other side of the house. I also make up my own, such as slow pulls, moving hold points on other stations, etc. It also helps to make a point of shooting in wind and rain. Wind is especially vexatious, and will give you a major edge if you encounter it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.