1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW to practice if intent is to improve?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tony Jones, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Jones

Tony Jones TS Member

I realize now after shooting for several years that I really don't know "how" to practice to improve my overall shooting. Time to practice is hard to come by and I wish to make the next step. I am currently an A singles shooter who stands on the 24 yard line. My handicap average is mid 80's and my doubles average is also mid 80's. Has anyone had a coach or other individual who has helped them learn how to practice? In other words not just shooting targets to be shooting, but how to develop a coherent plan that helps focus on the various aspects of trap shooting; mental, physical, etc. Any help would be surely appreciated by many on this forum!

Tony Jones

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I shoot a lot of targets in competition but I never shoot a practice round from the 16 unless I am trying something very specific. I shoot practice from Handicap and my 16 yard scores do not seem to suffer at all with no practice. I took clinics from 2 top coaches and I work on the theory and try to analyze what is causing me problems. I often shoot a practice Handicap round with 10 targets from Post 1 and 10 from Post 5 and 5 from Post 3. I write down what works and what doesn't work instead of just shooting a regular round.

3. grammie

grammie TS Member

Tony:

Practice,,,,"bad practice" will do nothing but enforce "bad habits"!!!

And there is another problem,,,far too many shooters think that "handicap" is what shooting is all about!!! Its not!!

The best practice can be done in a mirror at home!!!! Mount the gun 100 times,,,and when you can do the same thing each and every time 100 straight times,,,attempt the same on the trap field!!!

Stop counting birds,,,,and do your level best to mount,,shoot the same every single shot,,it dosen't matter if you miss or not,,,you need to work on your form,,,,I know this without seeing you shoot because of your averages!!!

At the trap field,,have the trap attendant put the trap into one position,,,the straight-a-way,,,and then shoot from each position,,,repeat until you cover all the posts,,,and all the angles!!!

Do not give up on singles,,,,Singles is where your timing comes from,,,You will not make it to the 27 without your singles!!!! And you won't make the 27 until you can mount,shoot the same 100 times in a row...

AKA Grammie........

4. IM390

IM390 Member

Analyse why you missed on your last squad and develop a theory for improving. Use the KISS principle(Keep It Simple Stupid). Many people can tell you what you did wrong, BUT only you can decide what it will take to correct the error. And in order to figure that out, you need listen to others and then to practice your theory. Everyone wants the "magic bullet" that will instantly correct a particular problem. That just doesn't happen. You need to concentrate on your problem and experiment on how to handle it. The best way is to try a solution and then come back another day and repeat the solution. If you can consistantly correct for the error over serveral days, then memorize it "as your style.

Improving requires trial and error.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Tony: Without blowing my own horn, I wrote an article that appears in this month's Shotgun Sport's Magazine on planning to improve your shooting. It was written for the experienced mid-level shooter to move up in classification. I am a retired educator with extensive special education background [skilled in breaking down tasks]... the article will help you breakdown shooting skills to gain muscle memory with the shots that are giving you a hard time. Good shooting... Fred Berson

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Find a real Coach, not a good shot that will show you how HE shoots. It will be worth the money.

A Coach will help you optimise YOUR shooting form, and fine tune YOUR techniques, and give you the basics and fundamentals to break every bird. The birds we miss are through failing to pay attention, failing to watch the bird and failing to follow the basics and fundamentals.

That will be $90. Thank you, come see me again! :^)

7. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Good morning Tony - You are at the point where two things might become obvious: (1) standing on the line and "blowing holes in the air" with your buddies is a long hard way to improve, and (2) a good instructor with some structure and a work plan to help YOU is crutial. Many coaches and instructors will tell you how they shoot. That is not important, they have to help you shoot your very best as "Shooting Coach" said above this.

If you are interested, I give my shooters certain drills and a training program which certainly work on some shooters. Contact me at the email address above and I will forward you a program with drills for you to use. It's a start. Also, get a good Instructor (not necessarily a celebrity) who can guide you up to the next level of shooting. Finally, as the shooting season ends for this year review this last year and look forward to next year setting Long Term Goals and also Short Term Goals. Good luck Tony and good shooting.

Bruce Maxwell

8. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I did not read all the posts here. I will do as one other here had said. I will pratice HC and work hard at it. Everyone has a target or two on one station at one angle that they miss. I will lock down the thrower and stand on that station with that angle and shoot till I get it right. 16's will fall right in without pratice. Doubles I will shoot till I get it right.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

You should practice seriously with the same, or even higher, level of concentration as you have during a registered shoot. I can do that for 25, perhaps 50 birds and then I start playing around. I do not practice well. So, rather than making myself practice better, I elected not to practice very much. I am doing everything wrong and I hope you can do a better job practicing than I can.

And, even worse, because I shoot a lot of targets ( I already have 700 registered birds for the new year and will get another 300 this Sunday), I often walk to the line at a major shoot with the same attitude I have if I am just going to shoot a quick practice round. I can forget if I am at the Grand or at my local club on Wed. afternoon. I need help.

Pat Ireland

10. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Try a few good books like "Trapshooting is a game of opposites" and "Mental traing for the shotgun sports".

11. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Soooo many great comments here about practice. I recently did a very unique thing that helped me shoot a 97 at hdcp.......went back to the basics! Found I wasn't looking for the target until it was well out of the house. BAD idea! Also, I never shoot a "normal" round for practice. I may shoot 2 or 3 at any one station, but I must break 2 in a row before I allow myself to move to another random station. I rarely shoot at #3, but I reserve that place for 27 yard practice.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Buy a dryfire computer system with a powerful laptop for the dryfire only. You will improve.

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

If you need help Pat, I must be terminal and should probably capitulate......

I've stopped practicing very much if you exclude the fall/winter league shoots. I too have a hard time practicing correctly. I always strive to break every one of those insidious rascals and seem to be unwilling to risk missing for the sake of experimentation.

Now this only applies when I'm shooting well. During a slump, it's just the opposite--I'm all over the place trying everything I can come up with. I think I need a good shrink more than a shooting coach.

I wish it were easier to get a trap all to myself locked any way I want to drill on. The clubs in my local area (north central MD) don't seem to be geared toward that end.

Guy Babin

14. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Don't just practice, TRAIN...practice with a purpose. Have one specific problem on your mind to work on. Make a change, if you just keep repeating the problem you only get better at doing whatever it is that causes you to miss.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Firing a shot at a moving target is the same thing no matter if it's at the grand, a small shoot or at practice anywhere. Even if you're shooting with a full squad or alone, the end goal remains the same.

You absolutely have to WANT that target and see it correctly from the start! Thinking it's just practice, is a negative thought and that too, is a mistake. Most of us get caught up in what I call the "pull-bang" syndrome in trapshooting, (shooting by sound/timing instead of sight) The easier the target angle, the easier it is to be lulled to sleep from prior "shooting habits." Do you think the top shooters have figured out something the rest of us haven't? Of course they have. Hap

edited: You can receive valuable feedback from a mistake as well as success, IF, you're looking intently at the target.

16. vanman

vanman TS Member

Hi to all,

Does anyone mind if I use some or all of what is stated on this post?? This is one of the best posts I have seen on this forum--very helpful.

BBMax,

Do you have drills that beginner(s) should start with? If so can you contact me (email) and let me know what the cost is for a copy?

Regards to all

Van

17. nicky

nicky Member

Tony I have a saying, never go practice go train, practice is repetition of what you do. Go train and improve. And remember don't shoot a 50, 100, or a 200 target program, shoot a 1 target program 50, 100, or 200 times. Good luck, Kevin

18. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

Moving from "shooting practice" to "practice shooting" is difficult. The usual fun and games are put aside in order to be serious and focused.That is a big decision in itself.
    My plan includes shooting with a goal,(improve eye or gun hold etc),learn what you are doing right, learn what you are doing wrong.Experiment and don't worry about dropping birds. Two of the many challenges you will have are explaining to your friends why you dropped so many birds and living with declining registered scores as you master new techniques. But,its all worth it when the scores come rolling in.

BB

19. Tony Jones

Tony Jones TS Member

A big thank you to all who have responded/commented so far. I understand the need to "train" instead of just shooting. My big question is still HOW or WHAT does training involve? I know how to train to play basketball, etc. The problem I have is what drills or routines I can/should be doing which would allow me/others to train ourselves and thereby become better shooters. I have one tool at my disposal. A Terry Jordan wall chart but I don't use it much....I know this is one way to train. What would be other things? If I was on the US shooting team how would my training occur?

20. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Simone hit the nail on the head for a lot of average shooters, especially those that shoot league teams. I got caught up in that for years. An oft used term in many sports is "muscle memory". Your muscles have no memory, but your brain does. After the basics, the game is shot between the ears. Now if I could only keep the game there, hmmm.............good luck. Nubs Wagner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.