1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Practice by Yourself ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluskyshooter, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

All, New shooter here. The first month there was usually a full squad at the club to shoot with. Now, its just me. Just wondering how you others approach practice / shooting when you are by yourself ? I think I am finding it hard to stay mentally focused on each shot.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you are finding it hard to stay focused it is because you weren't focused to begin with. Practice is not standing on post after post shooting at target after target. To practice alone, you need a goal, one specific aspect of your technique that you want to work on that day: head position, gun swing, stance, vision etc. Proceed slowly and evaluate yourself and your result after each shot.

Amateurs practice until they get it right; pros practice until they can't get it wrong.

MK

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I shoot 10 shots from Post 1; 5 shots from Post 3; and 10 shots from Post 5. Another useful exercise (don't try this in competition) is hold the gun over the left corner for 2 shots and then over the right corner for 2 shots and then over the middle of the house. Do this from each Post but always get your eyes looking in the correct zone for the target. This exercise teaches you to look for and swing on the target no matter where it is.

4. Unknown1

<blockquote><i>"Another useful exercise (don't try this in competition) is hold the gun over the left corner for 2 shots and then over the right corner for 2 shots and then over the middle of the house."</i></blockquote>Nora Ross uses this drill at her 2-day clinics. Try it; you may well discover that your scores actually improve. Looking one place while pointing the gun somewhere else teaches the mind to slow down... to get a visual lock on the target before moving the gun and maintaining that visual lock it while swinging to the target.

MK

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

HEY THIS IS A FAMILY SITE!!!!!!!!!!

6. bluskyshooter

Thanks for the advice so far. On a side note - it is getting a little blustery and cold here in the northeast. Do you cold weather shooters find that your scores suffer a bird or 2 .. from the cold hands, runny nose, etc. Just trying to keep my expectations in check.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Do you cold weather shooters find that your scores suffer a bird or 2 .. from the cold hands, runny nose, etc. Just trying to keep my expectations in check."

Personally. i do. You wear more clothes which changes the way your gun shoulders and fits. It also makes moving to the target slower. I swear the damn birds don't break as good in the winter. LOL Thats my story and i'm stick'n to it.

It's White Flyer's fault...

Matt

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I find myself shooting alone quite often at our club. I take it very serious. I start in either shootoff postions 2 or 4 and shoot just like I am in a shoot-off. If you can get your mind tough in this format you will exceed.

GS

9. bluskyshooter

GS,
    How does a "shootoff" work ? Never been to an ATA registered shoot.

10. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

+1 for midalake. I treat it like shoot-offs.

Shoot-offs run like this:

One shooter: starts on post 2 (sounds dumb to new shooter, but this scenario comes up A LOT in handicap shoot-offs, as you often have shooters at different yardages that are not allowed to shoot together).
    Two shooters: posts 2 & 4
    Three shooters: posts 2, 3 & 4
    Four shooters: posts 2, 3, 4 & 5
    Five shooters: full boat

My post at ANY registered shoot is post 5. So, starting to shoot on any of the other posts is a little foreign to me. However, I find starting on post 2 or 3 the most uncomfortable, so I will practice starting on those.

Love the tip from Nora's clinic -- will probably start using that from now on.

11. bluskyshooter

Jev,
    So if you are in a shootoff ... and you are the only 1 shooting ... you shoot 5 shots at your own pace ... move to the next position and repeat ? When there are 2 or more in a shootoff ... you go about it like a normal round ? Just curious ... as I have no idea.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

blusky--You wouldn't be in a shoot-off by yourself. The shootoffs are a result of a tie of scores by two or more shooters from the days events.

Matt

13. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Really matt? Ever seen a handicap shoot off? Yes, two (or three) can be tied and they ALL shoot by themselves.

Blusky, unless the participants agree on different rules before shooting off or shoot management puts different rules up for shoot offs, yes you would shoot a normal sub event. Doubles is 2 pair from each post.

14. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

What game are you talking about?

15. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

When I practice by myself I will usually work on a specific area I'm having problems with. If I'm having trouble with hard rights on 5 I'll set the machine to throw all hard rights and will start shoot until I find what I'm doing wrong.

I believe the saying is "amateurs practice until they get it right, pros practice until they get it wrong." Work up to your point of failure and then find out what caused you to fail. Everyone is going to have a moment of failure at some point.

I have no problems getting it wrong though :(.

16. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Earned yardage dictates whether the shooters will shoot together or separately.
    If the yardage of the shooters is more than two yard separation the shooters will shoot on separate traps. You could have a shooter at 27 another at 24 and a third at 20 and all would have to shoot on separate traps.
    If they are within the two yards the shoot off will be on one trap, just like a singles event.

Ajax

17. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

When by myself, I shoot a regular round of singles, a round at my handicap yardage, then practice on hard lefts and rights on posts 1,3,and 5 from 16. When I practice for skeet, I shoot the hardest targets for me...high house 3,4,and 5.

18. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Trapshooting is a 5 post event with 25 targets of random(ya I know there ain't much random to a pat trap, but)direction. Practice should be as real as if it were a real event.If you lock a trap and shoot a particular bird you will not really improve the event. you are shooting at targets you are expecting to be in a certain direction , and, the game is not shot that way. Doing that may be okay for a rifle or pistol paper target shooter, but when the targets are thrown at random you really need to polish the whole 5 posts, just as if it were a tournament. Any thing else is just training yourself bad habits.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ajax- Yardage separation in a shoot off is the same as in a regular event. For shooters between 21-27, there cannot be more than two yards different between adjacent shooters and a total of three yards on the squad. A 24 yard shooter can shoot on the same trap as a 27 yard shooter in a shoot off. For a 20 (or less) yard shooter, the rule is not more than one yard between adjacent shooters and a maximum of two yards difference on the squad.

Pat Ireland

20. Unknown1

<blockquote><i>"I believe the saying is "amateurs practice until they get it right, pros practice until they get it wrong."</i></blockquote>Not in any unit I ever served in!

Training until you start making mistakes ("...,until they get it wrong.") is like eating until you get sick... illogical, pointless and definitely regrettable!

<blockquote><i>"Work up to your point of failure and then find out what caused you to fail."</i></blockquote>...and then this is the point where practice (training) BEGINS. Now that you've identified another weakness, you train until that weakness in replaced by proper execution every time under any circumstance. Weakness can creep in when you become overconfident, relaxed and sloppy: that's why practice never ends!

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.