1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Post a Photo on a Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by david, Nov 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david

david Member

First step is to upload your image to a webserver. Most Internet Providers provide you a personal webspace where you can upload graphics. There are also many free websites that give you space to upload photos.

[​IMG]
    Second, bring up the the webpage that displays your uploaded graphic. Right-click on the graphic and select properties.

[​IMG]
    Third, hightlight the Address (URL) with your mouse.

[​IMG]
    Fourth, right-click on the highlighted url and choose copy.

[​IMG]
    Fifth, bring up the thread or start a new thread to post your photo on. Right-click in the Image URL box and select paste. The graphics URL should now be place in the box. You can then type your text in the reply box and click submit.

You can also display a photo in your reply box by entering the following text
    [​IMG]

and replacing the
    http://www.trapshooters.com/_derived/Default.htm_cmp_trapnew000_bnr.gif
    with the url of your graphic.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I registered with Photobucket but it looks like a pain in the butt to go through all the hassles every time I'd want to post a pic so I think I'll leave it up to those with more patience than I....

3. vanman

vanman TS Member

Test

vanman

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

vanman :

From the looks of your red X it looks like you are trying to post the picture from your hard drive from the C:\Doucuments if this is right then it won't work it has to be stored in a place like the photo bucket or even if you have space on your server.

The picture really isn't stored to this trap site only a link is to get to the site where you have it stored at.

As MIA said if you can do the Copy and Paste then you will have no trouble with a little help from someone.

I thought it was going to be hard at first but really it was easier than I thought.

Foghorn

5. lil johnny

lil johnny TS Member

6. vanman

vanman TS Member

foghorn220 & MIA,

Thank you both, and yes I tried to do what you said not to (-: I will get the hang of cut/paste and try it again.

vanman

7. vanman

vanman TS Member

Test:

With help from foghorn & MIA and my son showing me a few things I will try it again.

vanman

8. vanman

vanman TS Member

Well I think I might have it.

Thank You Foghorn & MIA.

vanman

9. Big Tom

Big Tom TS Member

Understanding how the internet works helps you understand how to post pictures. When you Post a picture you are really creating a simple web page. When you create a web site, you create html files and other web content, which can include pictures, among other web content. Once you create those files, you upload them to a web server. Once on the web server, those pages are accessible on the internet by typing a URL, that line at the top of your browser that starts with http:

Its not rocket science. I am an old guy too, but I taught myself to create a simple web site long before I joined ts.com. So the idea of posting a picture on this forum was not alien to me. I am not a computer prodigy by any stretch of the imagination. But you are not going to learn it by whining that its too hard, because its not.

And using a photo site like Photobucket is not the best way to do it. A single photo can be thought of as a simple web page. So you should be posting your photos on a web server. And almost all internet accounts come with your own web server space which can be used for creating your own web page. You've got your own web server space sitting out there on the internet for your use, so use it. You've got a home directory, and can set up different folders and such just like you do on your home computer.

Tom

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Since my name was mentioned and somebody alerted me to this post, I will give up a secret to all of you and make your picture-posting-adventures a walk in the park. Remember, I like Winchester AA light handicap shells, good coffee, and sparkly things...

1. You happen to run across a pic that you like on a website.

2. Right click on it and then Save Image As (not Save Source...which will only save the web page). Save the image to your hard drive if you want to keep it, because the author of that web page can take that pic off, or take that page down, on a whim.

3. Right click on the image again, and click Properties.

4. It will tell you the file name of that image. Take note of it.

5. Now on Explorer, go up to the View pull-down menu, and pick View Source.

6. Now go to the Edit pull down menu and click Find. Type the file name of the desired photo, and press Enter. It will find the line in that source code that you will need to copy.

7. Copy the "img src=" line that includes that file name. Copy that image source code line, including the brackets.

8. Paste that line into the body of the post. Place it where you want the image to be seen.

There, you don't have to use photobucket or set up a web page or anything. It's so much easier.

That's how I did this one:

[​IMG]

The line that I copied was

img src="http://www.10dailythings.com/images/funnyAd02.jpg" width="240" height="231" border="0"

with the brackets...this one < and this one > at either end of that line.

Thank you gifts can be sent to me at my home address.

11. recurvyarcher

Hey John Malcolm! For you, I would require that you come to Maryland and personally deliver the crab. :) Would love to shoot with you again soon.

12. Big Tom

Big Tom TS Member

Sure, its easy to post a picture thats already on the internet, all you are doing is linking to it, in effect.

But mostly everyone wants to post their own pictures. For that, uploading them to your web server space is easy. You normally use a FTP client for that, or some ISP's provide a link on their web page for doing that. Follow directions from your ISP on how to use your web space.

Tom

13. 2sonmike

2sonmike TS Member

One thing I think should be mentioned; on some of the free hosting sites, you'll run out storage space, so you delete a photo or two. the bad news is, if the thread is still getting hits, those pics you deleted are no longer tagged, hence the dreaded red X.

For what it's worth.

Mike

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Use hot keys, much easier than copy and paste commands in the drop down.

Control-C is copy.

Control-V is paste.

I find Photobucket very easy. If I want to post a pic I don't have on PB I open a second browser so I don't lose my place on TS.Com.

HM

15. recurvyarcher

Art, where's my Old Bay?!!!!

16. recurvyarcher

The Rebel still shoots at Loch Raven. Come shoot with us there soon, Art.

Are you still having success with smoking cessation?

17. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Vanman you are welcomed.

I know some don't like Photo bucket and say its better to put them on the servers space that you are hooked up to but 1 advantage I like about the photo bucket is that my pictures will still be there when I decide to go to another souce of internet service.

In the past I lived in IL and had shawneelink then moved back to KY and had VCI.net,and the dreaded AOL for a short time now MCHSI.com so the whole time I still had access to my pictures without having to start over again for each servers web space so im not saying that storing them on your server is a bad thing as long as you plan on keeping it for awhile.

Also another good ideal is to use a disposable type of email address for things that you want to be able to access later on even if you have switched to another internet server so thats why I use my hotmail account for things like registering products online and for sending me my foggoten passwords for other sites I might not have been to in a while and so on.

That way I don't have to remember which email address I used to register with in the past.

Merry Christmas to all.
    <a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

foghorn

18. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> <a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

19. mearss1

mearss1 TS Member

test1

[​IMG][/url]

20. mearss1

mearss1 TS Member

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Gifs/Shooting.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.