1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Pay For a Gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hejumper, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hejumper

hejumper Member

I'd like to understand how to pay for the gun purchased via this forum. On my side I'm uneasy sending money orders, checks, etc to someone I don't know, especially out of state. On the other side I'd not want to send my gun based on "the check is in the mail".

What options are there and what seems to work for both parties?

Larry

2. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

CASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If in person. Money order or cashers check if over the web.

3. spritc

spritc Active Member

Postal money orders are all I accept and/or send. The postal inspectors will go after all fraud cases with a vengeance.

Have you talked on the phone with your seller? Do you have his home phone and address? Have you asked all the right questions? I don't think you can answer yes to the above questions and still not feel comfortable.

Have you inquired on this site about your seller or searched to see any of his posts? You might want to do some of these things!

4. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

What KolarDude said.... USPS Money order and ask questions.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One of things about doing deals with people that use this forum is that you can do some research on them before you make a deal. Things like how long have they been posting. Do they trade regularly etc. Last resort you can post a thread asking for people to vouch for the person (kind of rude but effective)

So thats TS.com pretty safe and usually most deals happen with the goods and the money passing each other in transit and no problems on either end. Other internet deals are probably riskier.

6. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Once I am reasonably assured that the seller is a valid one, I offer to send a private check with the stipulation that the seller may send the item when the check clears his account. I make it clear that I am in no hurry to receive the item and they may take their time to assure that the money is in their account before they ship. This is usually enough to make any seller comfortable about the transaction.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Wire Transfers, eliminate all of the guessing ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. spritc

spritc Active Member

Paypal = anti-gun!!

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

guns sales are not allowed on paypal. Therefore if you use paypal and dont disclose it is a gun, you have no protection from paypal and will lose your account

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Have the seller use an FFL licensee on the sending end, and send the money to him.

We chew this cabbage about twice a month.

HM

11. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Half mile, most FFLs don't want to get involved in the financials of a gun deal. There are a lot of downsides and potential liabilities for the FFL dealer and no upside other than the $25 fee for doing the paperwork.

I buy a lot of guns on the web and always use a bank wire transfer unless the buyer knows me and my company check is ok. Once money is transferred to your account its there and can't be withdrawn except by you. When you send a wire, it goes to a bank account held by the seller and he would have to be a customer at the bank. His address and contact information can easily be verified on line, and I have never had a legitimate seller not send me a photo of their drivers license beforehand. If you are willing to spend a little time and effort, you can do a reasonable background check on the buyer or seller you are dealing with.

Lastly, if it sounds the least bit funny, walk away from the deal! I would rather miss a gun or a sale than go against my instincts.

Bob

12. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I have had many deals on this site over the last 8 or 10 years or so. Fortunately I have NEVER had a bad deal. Many times I make sure to talk to the buyer and get a feel for the deal. Small items are sent when the check arrives to avoid a problem in whee to send the item. When sending a gun it has to go to an ffl dealer. Therefore the buyer has chosen an ffl and he has to be part legit because of the background check and another person in the deal. Like Bob said. Drivers license works but i really think a phone call means a bunch and many times that person knows someone a I know and it then becomes a friendship deal. Motordoc

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If a buyer does not know me, I recommend a Postal Money Order. As has been said, fraud involving this type of payment does not end well.

Asking about a seller on the forum is not a bad idea. The reply "RUN FROM HIM" usually kills the deal. LOL

Getting certified funds deposited before shipping cuts down on my stress.

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

If buying I always suggest a USPS money order and tell the seller not to ship until the money order has been deposited to his account or cashed.

15. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

How I buy guns and I have bought several high end guns on TS.com,is to send a personal check and request that the gun NOT be shipped until the seller is comfortable with the funds clearing.

I will NOT go into a bank or the Post Office to get cashiers check or money order.

I have never had a problem with a seller nor they have with me!

16. hejumper

hejumper Member

Thanks to all. I purchased two guns last week and went with Postal Money Orders.
    Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.