1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to pattern a new gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bob radasch, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob radasch

bob radasch Guest

Long story short- I need advice on how to effectively pattern a new gun to see what is going on. I have been shooting trap for past 6 months using a browning side-by side field with improved modified choke - was doing OK- getting 20-22 birds on average.

So I decided to get fancy and buy a "true Trap gun" now I cant hit anything. I cant tell if Im shooting high, low or off to the side. My new gun is a Browning XT trap with adjustable comb. Im using a modified choke and have the comb all the way down. When I do hit a bird I just chip it with a BB or two- not powdering them like I was with the field gun. So I have decided I need to go back to square one to see where Im shooting with this new gun, before I start messing around with the comb. The new gun has a lot higher rib than my field gun. My questions are:
    1) how large of a paper target should I make
    2) how far back from the paper target should I be to look at the pattern so I can decide how to adjust my sighting
    3) should this be done with a full choke, improved modified???
    4) any other advice to help out. I relize I may have to start adjusting the comb if im shooting way high. Am I correct that be raising the comb my I will have to start shooting "under" the bird as I have raised my POI. Not terribly familiar with the POA and POI stuff. If it gets really complicated I will need to get someone who really knows there stuff to help with the adjustment.
    5)when aiming with a trap gun do you put the bead right on the bird??? or do you adjust gun so it shoots high and you perposly aim below bird???

Thanks Bob R

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Shoot the paper, look at the paper.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The linked thread, above, should get you started, Bob.

Few trapshooter think they put the bead all over the bird, but rather just touching it from below. They may be wrong, but that's what they think.

Neil

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob R- Your first question was about patterning. There are two independent parts of patterning a gun. First is the POI, second is analyzing the distribution of the shot in the pattern. Both of these are done from a bench rest. My first suggestion is set up several targets 13 yards from a rest. Don't worry about an exact 13 yards, 12 yards is OK and 16 yards will work). All you are doing is determining if your gun shoots high, low, right or left. Lets hope your gun shoots a little high (a few inches) or even a lot high (several inches). Don't measure how high, quantification of how high can come after you are shooting a lot of targets. All we are doing is making sure your gun does not shoot low, right or left. Then, skip the second part of patterning (counting holes at 40 yards). You can get into that later.

Next go to the line and practice how to shoot a shotgun. Try to do this by yourself and don't keep score. Dump some shells in your pocket and shoot several from one post. Don't shoot only five. Shoot until you are comfortable from that post. You may want to shoot 20-30 from post three. You gave me a clue to your problem when you asked "where do you aim the shotgun?" My answer is that you don't aim the gun. You look at the target with your head down and let the gun aim itself. With some serious work, you can probably learn how to do this in a few months to a year. Don't be too concerned now with your score. Just pay attention to shooting each bird correctly.

Pat Ireland

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

First things first. Take the gun you used to use and pattern it. We are more interested in where it is hitting than how nice the pattern looks. Is it high, low, left or right? Now take your new gun and do the same thing. Now compare the results and I think you will see why you are not doing well with the new gun. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to pattern a shotgun

how to pattern a trap gun

how to pattern trap gun