1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to paint a PFS?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm going to paint my ugly PFS. What type of paint should I use that doesen't rub off on my face or hands? Likewise; I need to paint the forend, also, can I use the same paint on both the plastic and wood? What about primer, do I need to primer before paint?

Thanks, Jim

2. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Why don't you just send it to me. I have painted several, and my work has been showcased on here. Give me an email or a call to discuss. Matt - Woodson Enterprises (270)804-5454

3. shot410ga

sglfr45: Thanks, but I'd just as soon do it myself.

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

just do the same operation as painting a car. sand promer and basecoat with clear coat on top. any bodyshop can do it or yourself at home. I recommend the two part epoxy paints so you might need some apecial primers, reducers etc. mine had worn well and does not come off on my face. motordoc

5. isualum

isualum TS Member

http://www.mikericklefs.com

hit the "how to" button on the left.

6. shot410ga

PerazziBigBore: Where can I find this epoxy paint (brand, vendor, store)? I was just going to paint one color, anyway. Something bright, like orange, red, or lime.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Get yourself a can of rustoleum camo paint...and have at it....

Curt

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

shot410a: The very fact you're asking these questions indicates that you don't have the experience you need to do this. You are making a HUGE mistake. Take it to an auto body shop or send it to somebody who knows how and has the equipment to do it. It's harder than it looks!

9. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I just finished working on our M1A synthetic stocks. I used Lauer Dura Coat. My selections were for camouflage but they have some bright colors also. It must be put on with an air brush, a cheapie works fine. It can not be put on with a brush, also it's an epoxy and needs to be mixed up.

I found it fun and quite easy but I'm not a painter and I might want a professional to work on my trap gun. After 15 minutes it's dry to the touch, after 24 hours, the gun can be used. After 3 to 4 weeks it cured. After four weeks I put carburetor cleaner on mine, just to see, and the Dura Coat stayed put. Check the web site www.lauerweaponry.com Good Luck and feel free to e-mail. Michael

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Whats a PFS?

11. shot410ga

dickgtax: That's the fun part, learng how, then doing the job. I found some 2 part epoxy paint and a air brush kit, as recomended. If I don't like it I'll just do it again, that's what sandpaper is for.

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

shot410ga, take dickgtax's advice. Slopping paint on a piece of wood is easy to correct but epoxy on a PFS could be nasty. Your epoxy will probably set up in the paint gun about half way through. Practice on something else. Be sure to post a picture when you are done.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I also support the advice given by dickgtax. Painting involves proper sanding between coats and final buffing with a good rubbing compound. It is very simple after you have done 6-8 of them.

An auto body shot should do the stock for a very reasonable price. Their total labor time would be less than 30 minutes. They know how to wet sand and buff.

Pat Ireland

14. shot410ga

Pat Ireland: after I do it 8 times it should look---well, OK, I guess. We will see. I'll post some pictures, when it's complete. I just made a a new cheek piece (comb) and it sures works better than the orginal or the after market I bought. And it only took one try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.