1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW TO OVER COME THE BUTTERFLIES???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapshootinmachine13, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshootinmachine13

trapshootinmachine13 Member

i shot some registered today and i am only 13, i have been shooting around a year and went to the grand this past year. i boke about 10,25 straight but never could get that 50 straight to come. well point is i borke 88 out of my fist 90 targets and i was leading the squad and i got on post 4 and missed my first 2 broke the other 3 got on post 5 and missed 2. i get them butterflies when i know i am on a good score i boke 25,24,25,20 to end up with a 94 how do you good shooters overcome them butterflies. please post

thanks,dalton

2. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Stop counting!!Each target is it's own event, win each event, Don't worry about 50 or 100 break every single target event they throw your way and no one can beat you. Shut your Brain off, easier said then done.
    Good shooting anyway, they will come!!

3. RainmanRFW

RainmanRFW TS Member

I like the discussion of the butterflies. I get them every time I shoot ATA. If you read up on some sports psychology articles, you'll learn that it's important to have some degree of the butterflies. I recommend you do some searching in this area. For now, learn to breathe through them. Take deep, slow breaths in between shots. When you're ready to shoot, take a deep breath, let half out, call for the bird and powder it. People will tell you not to count birds by I find it almost impossible. Learn to love the heartbeat, to relish it, to feed off it, and to channel it into focusing on the shot. Good luck and good shooting.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Quit counting targets, put 5 extra shells in your pocket.

Lee Davidson the Winchester Rep told me, keep your head down, concentrate, and break the little #$%^&.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Wished I had some of those butterflies back. As mentioned above;some of those don't hurt. Just keep them all flying in the same direction. Good luck and good shooting.

Steve

6. cnsane

cnsane Member

We called it "Going off like cheap Chinese fireworks". In my experience, once the novelty of shooting good wears off, the butterflys are still noticable but won't affect your scores.

7. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Interesting post... I am going through the same thing myself and I am nowhere near 13 so it doesn't go away with age. I have been shooting for a little more than 3 years now and it has mostly been a weekend thing for me. But there have been times when the pressure was on and I folded like a cheap sweater. What I am doing this year is forcing myself to get into as many pressure situations as I can in an attempt to "get comfortable" with the feeling. If I can do that then it's one variable that I can push to the side. I know from my time in the music world that the butterflies do not go away but the more you do whatever it is that causes them the more comfortable you get with them. Learn to enjoy the feeling, it means you are involved in something that REALLY means a lot to you and whether or not you do well it will be a cherished memory for the rest of your life.

8. straightaway

straightaway TS Member

Excellent question Dalton.

No matter how you try, you won't be able to not be aware of what your score is.

Make those butterflies work FOR you. Evidently your mechanics are fine, don't mess with them. Sharpen your focus, you KNOW you can break anything out of the house. Don't get in your own way, let it happen. Mount the gun, keep it still until the target is a defined object, look at the target so hard you see it spinning then LET your hand eye coordination do its thing.

A fine line point to remember is shoot at the target to break it, not shoot at it to not miss it.

Have a great day! Dan

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Nice shooting Dalton!! Keep up the good work! I think that those "Butterflies" are just part of the game. As you shoot more and more I think they will get easier to deal with but for me they never totally go away.....and I hope they never do!!!.........Please ...keep shooting and having fun!.....Your friend in Pennsylvania...........Uncle Sam

10. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

Dalton : To me butterflies are adrenalin, which is good thing. Adrenalin makes your senses responsive. Everyone gets them and most athletes "try" to get the rush going before an event. If you have them and cannot get rid of them turn them into a positive. I have a really hard time with butterflies in a large event shoot off, but if I channel it and use it as a positive it helps. The real challenge is making it an asset in the middle of an event, but if you realize what it is and you know it is coming it is easier to deal with.

Uncle Sam is right, Turn it into fun!

CM

11. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

If,and when those butterflies go away,its time to stop shooting.Don't worry about it,its a part of the game...........Its the rush,enjoy it,and smoke 'em all.

D.P.Reynolds

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

everybody will find something that works for them but this one works for everyone. 4EVERYOUNG hit it dead on. Just take each target one at a time. I always say to myself, one more target and concentrate on that one. Then do it again 99 more times. Best advice I ever got and has stuck with me for over 50 years

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I used to do the same thing. Frustrating, isn't it?

What I did was to tell myself that the last trap was no different than the first trap.

Worked for me.

Good Luck, I know you can break them.

Hauxfan!

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Dalton: It's part of being human. It happens to the vast majority of us. Before retirement I taught tactical firearms classes for law enforcement officers. Part of the training was to alleviate as much stress as possible to avoid a panic situation. One of the parts of this training was called "autogenic breathing". Basically all you do is inhale very deeply through your nose, hold your breath for 4 seconds and then exhale through your mouth until you have completely exhaled and then hold your breath again for 4 seconds. We would do this 3 or 4 times. If you would do this before your final round I am sure you will calm down and it will surely help. Also, when shooting your last target at a post; breathe deeply through your nose, hold your breath and when you arrive at your next post, exhale through your mouth and hold your breath again until it's time to shoot. You will be surprised how this will calm you throughout the round. Good Luck. Ed

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's a one target game at a time. You against the machine on each launch. The one before and next one don't count.

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Put yourself in competition every chance you get. Those "butterflies" are essentially a fear of losing, after you've become really comfortable with being in competition you'll lose the fear and the same thing that caused it'll become a will to win.

17. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

You might find some Lanny Basham cds useful too. Every little bit helps. Trapshooting is 90% mental. Whip that 90% and the other 10 fall into place. Good luck. John

18. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Butterflies are part of competing. If you are a competitor of any kind you will get butterflies. The butterflies are why I played football and coached football. Wow what a neat feeling. It's a legal hi.
    When I get in those tight situations when the pressures on I just tell myself there is nobody better than me and they are chasing me. Dont forget that it will get easier the more you do it.

19. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Confidence is number 1. Direct nervous energy toward eliminating any thought process while shooting. Any physical activity is confused by thought. They are right side/left side brain activities. I took relaxation training and it helped a lot.

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Only dead people don't get butterflies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.