1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to open a bag of Shot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomlieb, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I've been reloading for a long time, like over 30 years. I was opening a new bag of shot yesterday and just realized that I don't know the trick of properly opening a bag of shot. I am referring to the shot bag that is closed by a stiching. If you cut the right stich, then all you have to do is to pull the thread and it all comes out. If you don't cut the right stich, you have to make a lot of cuts to get the bag open. Can anyone explain how to cut at the right place to make it open with one pull of the thread?
    Tom

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tom- With the new plastic bags, I just cut a corner out of the bag.

Pat Ireland

3. ismah

ismah Member

Tom, I've found that if you use a small ice pick and pluck the first hoop off of the short end of stitches you will never find the right one. I've struggled with it for years: I've hit the bag with a shovel, run over it with my pick-up, and smashed it with a ball peen hammer. There is no formula. I believe it's just dumb luck finding that little hoop.

4. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

I can only speak to Lawrence brand shot bag.

You want the top of the bag with the Lawrence Name facing you. Hold the thread end and cut the first right corner stitch. Pull the thread end. If that doesn't do it cut the next stitch and pull - repeat until you are able to pull on the thread. Some bags get double stitiched then you have to cut the stitches all the way across. This works high percentage of the time.

Regards

5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Box up all of your bags of shot and send them to me. I will open them for you and return them the following day. Hell - I'll even iron them for you.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Cut the corner on the bag and transfer the contents to a 3 lb coffee can. Use sharp shears or a razor blade so you don't get bag weave in your shot. If you have a canvas bag that you want to save, run a razor blade along the inside of the fold and cut all of the loops.

Otherwise the stitching works like that on dog chow, cut master loop on right pull loop string to the left. But why bother? For most of us optically challenged middle age plus guys, the cut and dump method is they way to go.

7. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I've been opening feed sacks since I was a child. What Washandwear says is the correct procedure. It sometimes takes a couple of tries, but stick with the right side of the bag with the logo facing you.

HBT

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

This works for me...........lol

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

9. LCC

LCC TS Member

With the single stitch facing you, cut the first one on the right edge, pull each thread out from bag and it will unravel. They are not lock stitches. Thirty years you say .....

10. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

tomlieb

Oooooooo I just new you were in for it...Not to worry everyone gets his turn in the barrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. razor

razor TS Member

old texas marine and wash and wear have it. one old saying is that you always cut the second stitch from the right. single stitch or logo facing towards you and double stitch away, go under the double stitching and cut the second stitch never fails write it down so you don't frorget, razor

12. docl

docl TS Member

Like Wash&Wear, name facing you, I cut the single line at the edge of the bag on the right, not the loops and the sewn line can usually be removed as a single line ;however, this is not always infallible. I of course relate any difficulties to the sowers of the bags and not the "sowee". Lewis Lyons

13. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

This is a hoot! I like the hunt and peck method and when it works, feel like a lotto winner. It's always good to get the string thingey perfect, before dumping the shot in the hopper.

Now if I could just remember to rotate the drain to "closed", before hearing the rain, and wondering what the sound is, and why my shoes are filling up with shot......life is good.....mike

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Barfin, and others, this is the kind of information that's useful on TS.com....

nice presentation..

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Double stitch facing you, cut the second one on the left. Like Razor said. Pull the string on the single stitch side.

Most of the time I get it right. This site is great for household hints.

HM

16. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

Barfin is correct. It doesn't matter if it is feed, seed, shot, or whatever, if it is stiched you start with the short side. Larry

17. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Ruff side to the right(double stitching), cut the string that's the closest to you. Then just pull the string, works every time.

Joe McGorman

18. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

As Joe (almost) said.....Rough side-Right-Rear....snip and pull.

19. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Now that I have 6 extra bags of shot opened.... what do I do with them now?

I have to ask.... is there any difference in 7 1/2 bags and 8 bags? There is ALWAYS a difference between 7 1/2 and 8s.......

20. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

thank you all, I knew you guys would have the answer. I followed your advise, it worked the first time.
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to open a bag of shot

how to open a shot bag