1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to modify my bench for a Spolar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Longhorn, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I just got a Spolar w/ hydraulics and am excited to use it. I purchased a maple top 30 x 60 for my workbench with risers and drawer. Now, I'm going to have to decide where to put the unit....right or left,
    do I drop the shells into the drawer? Do I put the drawer to the side and drop them into a bucket? I'm gonna cut that beautiful wood. Come on guys.....what works best for you?

2. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I just got a Spolar w/ hydraulics and am excited to use it. I purchased a maple top 30 x 60 for my workbench with risers and drawer. Now, I'm going to have to decide where to put the unit....right or left,
    do I drop the shells into the drawer? Do I put the drawer to the side and drop them into a bucket? I'm gonna cut that beautiful wood. Come on guys.....what works best for you?

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

you wont be happy dropping them in a Drawer- it will go to fast-- depending on the height of loader you can just run a flexible hose- as from a dryer vent or a large PVC pipe to the side - and let them drop in a bucket

I cut a whole and used a PVC junction piece to fill the opening and provide that drop directly into a bucket under and behind the loader a little

you might have to retighten bolts now and then( I do) -- so keep that in mind and use large washers underneath

regards

Gene

4. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Longhorn ..... You don't have to cut a hole in that table top, just reverse the shell exhaust tube 180 deg and to it affix a piece of electrical PVC conduit that's in the shape of a crescent that's attached to under side of the bench where the shells will drop out of the exhaust tube, into the conduit and into a 5 gal bucket on the floor. You will also need to have a downshoot of PVC pipe attached to the conduit that will direct the shells into the bucket.

This is not my idea, someone posted a photo here on TC.com some time back, if you are interested do a search on reloading benches or something along that line. It was a very effective way to transfer the shells from the press into a holding container without cutting a hole through the bench top.

Enjoy you Spolar, good choice.

5. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Should your machine delelop a primer feed problem, here is a little fix that was on TS.com some time in the past:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/smessage.cfm?messageid=1075029

A bud of mine tried this fix and it worked but I think that the real fix was in that it keeps the weight on the bottom of the primer rod assy. from contacting the bump button on the base of the press.

When the primer rod weight is mis-located by screwing it down flush with the over all length adjustment set screw causing the weight instead of the set screw to contact the bump button (my bud said that this was tried to alleviate marring of the bump button by the set screw), this in turn will cause the primer rod to bind in the assy above and in turn thump the primer out of its seat in the primer cup when it becomes free of the binding condition it has been placed in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.