1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to modify 303 stock to fit

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cleboje, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleboje

cleboje Member

I need some advice on how to go about reworking the comb on my 303 to fit me.

I am a right eyed, right handed shooter, 5'10 inches, 215 lbs. with a round face.

With the stock spacer set to give me the proper drop at comb, I am still looking slightly off to the left of the rib with the mid-bead a little lower and off to the left of the front bead.

I think I need to rework the comb of the stock to give me more cast off, but as I have never done this type of work before, I could certainly use some advice from those who have done this...what tools do I need to rework the comb to fit my face?

How did you go about doing a job like this?

Thanks for all the help.

Joe

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Firstly Joe, your description is a physical impossibility. With the gun in the mounted position, one can't be looking off to the left of the rib with the mid-bead left of the front bead. But to move the comb...go to your local hardware store and buy some shim stock (brass preferably). Loosen the tang nut that holds your butt-stock on and place a few thousandths shim stock between the stock and stock spacer on the opposite side of the desired direction of comb movement. Tighten the tang nut and check the result. Continue until you have the desired result. It's a lot easier to do and doesn't butcher a good stock.

Buz

3. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

cleboje

I am a left eye dominant right handed shooter, 5'10 inches, and 245 lbs. with a really round face.

I use frost tape on the top of my left eye lens and it allows my right eye to take over and don’t have to close one eye, yet there is some space between the mid-bead and the front bead, I was having trouble adjusting until I installed an EZ Hit Sport Bead Fiber Optic Sight, I installed right behind the factory front bead, now I don’t have to bother trying to align the mid and front beads since the sight forces my right eye to see trough the little tunnel that leads to the sight and don’t even have to concern myself with the mid bead either, my scores have risen from 19-20 t0 23-24 within 8 rounds after installing.

I don’t think you need to rework the stock at all, try the device, it only cost me $27 bucks plus shipping and am delighted with it, now I enjoy both my A303 Special trap shotguns more than I did in the past 20 years.

Good luck.

Berettaman7

4. cleboje

cleboje Member

alfermann66

Sorry for my description of what I see when the gun is fully mounted...what I meant to say was the sight picture is slightly left of center on the rib, with the mid bead just a little low left of the front bead...so the classic figure 8 appears more like the 'leaning tower of piza'.

I agree that I need more cast-off...now the issue is determining the best way to get the cast-off that I need.

Would the brass shim stock idea work better if inserted between the rear of the receiver and the front of the stock on the opposite side of the desired direction of movement???

Joe

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I'm with Alfermann66 in that it sounds like you're what you're describing is a physical impossibility. If you're looking at the left side of the rib, the center bead would appear to be to the RIGHT of the front bead.
    If you are actually seeing the center bead to the left of the front bead, then you need cast-in, not cast-off.

6. cleboje

cleboje Member

OK, OK, OK

My apology to alfermann and dickgtax...I checked the gun this evening after work and you guys are correct...the mid bead is to the right of the front bead!

So I still need to get more cast-off to the stock in order to bring the proper figure 8 to the beads.

Has anyone ever tried to have a stock bender do an auto? Would this work or is the wood too thin in the head of the pistol grip of the stock?

The wood on my 303 is extraordinary...best I have ever seen...so I really don't want to start hacking on it to get the needed cast-off.

Any recommendations?

Joe

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yeah, I have a recommendation....MODIFY the dang thing. It's a tool! Also, it will never be a collector piece, so, by all means cut a comb in it, put an adjustable butt plate on it and IMPROVE your scores!

You can't bend that stock...it has a recoil tube in it that can not be bent with the stock. There are no stock shims for a 303. You either have to hack away unwanted wood, make modifications OR get another stock that you don't feel guilty about and modify that one.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Tron.

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Cleboje,
    You need a 4-way adjustable comb. It won't ruin the looks - the nicest
    $ 15,000 guns have adjustable stocks. I'm thinking that at 5'10" -245 pounds you may knock off 40 or 50 pounds one day. That will change your stock fit considerably, and you'll need to raise the comb some and move it back to the left.
    Hollingsworth has a reputation for good work at a reasonable price. There are many others as well.

9. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

cleboje.... Question, did you get this 303 from a left hand shooter?.... If you did, remove the stock and swap the shim, that lies between the stock and rear of the receiver, 180 deg horizontally (turn it over from side to side).... Do the same to the washer/shim that lies between the stock and the nut that retains the stock to your receiver..... Reinstall the stock and now see if this doesn't give you the results you need.

10. cleboje

cleboje Member

Tron - I agree, the stock is a tool and should serve as such, so I am trying to talk an acqaintance out of a spare stock to serve as a 'science project' for my own wood rasp modification.

dickgtax - I may also go the route of the 4-way adjustable comb...any idea what Hollingsworth (ball park is fine) would charge? Also, does the comb hardware change the balance of the gun?

Lkn4rocks - No I did not get the gun from a lefty. FYI, the 303's only have a shim to adjust stock drop. There is no spacer to adjust cast-off or cast-on like the 390/391 series. Also the 303's stock drop shim can only be fitted one way...the stock's interior inletting does not allow a 180 degree flip, as per your suggestion.

Joe

11. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

cleboje..... Sorry for the bad info but will a drop/cast spacer made for a 304 work in your case?

12. cleboje

cleboje Member

Lkn4rks

I am not sure if 304 spacers will work for a 303. If memory serves me, the 304 was the european model marketed by Beretta at the same time they dropped the 303 in favor of the 390 and the 390 spacers will not fit the 303.

I have never seen the 304's stock interior so I can't say if the same spacers would work for a 303.

If anyone knows the answer, please chime in...

At any rate, I will give Cole's a call to see if they know...after all they are the Beretta experts!

Joe

13. cleboje

cleboje Member

Pat

I will pass on what I find out from Cole's, but their voice-mail message just said they are only open Mon-Fri...

:<(

Joe

14. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Been there. Done that!

1. Beretta 303s do have stock shims: 50mm to 65mm.
    2. The shims only adjust for comb height not cast.
    3. You could have someone-who REALLY, REALLY knows what he is doing work on the head of the stock but then you may have to bend the mainspring tube (not a good idea).
    4. You could simply call Greg Hissem and have him do an adjustable comb.

CHOOSE OPTION #4!!!

15. hill billybob

hill billybob TS Member

Why not ask Tron if he'd do your adjustable comb.Looks like he does awesome work. H BB

16. cleboje

cleboje Member

All

Negative contact with Cole's today.

I called them three times...

First time the guy answering the call said "Jim is the expert on 303's...you have to talk with Jim".

So I left my name and phone number to be placed on Jim's desk so he could call me back...and no return call came.

Second time I called at 4:35 p.m. Eastern Time (same time zone as Coles) and got the old voice mail "we are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m."...obviously, they were still open for business, but the voice mail was already turned on.

Third time I called at 6:03 p.m. and a young person answered the phone and said "Jim just left 4 minutes ago, so call back and I'll let the voice mail get your message for Jim". The ever-ready Cole's voice mail took my message for Jim.

So, well see if Jim calls me back on Tuesday.

Joe

17. Duck

Duck Member

Joe,

See Tron's post with photo's, ask Tron about doing your comb!.

18. cleboje

cleboje Member

Duck

I have seen Tron's work earlier in the thread and I agree it looks great, but if anything, I am very thorough and I want to check all the options before plunking down hard earned cash.

As soon as I get an answer from "Jim at Cole's", I will be ready to move on to the next phase of the 'search for the perfect 303 fit'.

Joe

19. cleboje

cleboje Member

As of 31 Jul 07; no call back from Cole's...

Guess I will have to do the calling.

We'll see what kind of results I get tomorrow...

Joe

20. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Joe;

An adjustable comb may or may not solve the problem. It is possible that the movable comb will not allow your cheek to move far enough to the right to align your eye with the rib. Hopefully, I am wrong about that.

If I am correct though, creating cast at the comb will create more cast at the heel. It is something to consider. A good stock man can modify the stock.

Adding shims, if possible, may also solve the problem but, as with adding cast by refitting the stock to the action, you could wind up with too much cast at the heel if you need only additional cast at the comb.

My advice would be to visit a good, professional stock fitter, one who can modify the angle of the stock off the action if necessary.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta a303 stock

coles 6 way adj comb hardware