1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to measure constrictions for a fixed choke ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 90292, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 90292

90292 TS Member

Good Evening,

I am trying to measure the constrictions of a couple of my fixed choke O/U shotguns.

For tubed guns, I used a caliper in the past to measure the choke tube and calculate the contrictions.

With a fixed choke gun, I can measure the outer barrel diameter and the inner barrel diameter with a 'standard' caliper. It seems that I either need a barrel thickness guage or a barrel micrometer to measure the true constructions for the fixed choke... Please let me know if you have any special trick.

If I do need to buy another barrel micrometer, what should I look for ?
    Any comment with these 3 micrometers? Anything else I should look at ?

1. Skeet's Shotgun Choke and Barrel Micrometer Gage 12, 16 Gauge for about $90.
    2. 100 Straight CSP Shotgun Choke and Barrel Micrometer Gage 12 Gauge for about $210.
    3. Baker Shotgun Barrel Caliper Steel for about $60.

Thanks you for your time and advice.

Benjamin

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use a hole guage and transfer the readings to a micrometer.

It's a lot cheaper than buying a barrel guage, since I already had a set of hole guages..

I have a short piece of lamp fitting(1/8" pipe) that serves as an extension to reach in the barrel past the leade of the choke.

Works for me.

HM

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You need a barrel micrometer inorder to get accurate readings. Subtract the inside choke diameter from the inside barrel diameter and you have the amount of constriction. Example: .730 - .695 = .035 which would be a full choke. HMB

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Bore gage, only way to do it quick and accurately. The skeets works fine for that use. No calculations. Shove it into the bore beyond the choke, set it to zero(0), pull it thru the choke to get your direct reading on choke constriction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best fixed choke constriction
how to check choke on fixed barrel shotgun
how to measure a choke tube with calipers
how to measure choke constriction
how to measure choke on fixed shotgun
how to measure fixed shotgun choke
shotgun choke constrictions

shotgun choke micrometer