1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make steel plate pattern board?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jackmac, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackmac

jackmac TS Member

Mar 25, 2007
    I'm contemplating making a steel plate pattern board for our gunclub. Should it be suspended by chain,or fixed permanent. What would be the size of the plate,(O.D.& plate thickness) what do you use for the grease for checking the pattern?Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.Thanks
  2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Feb 21, 2007
    4'x 4' x 1/8" is thick enough. I put mine on 2 double 2x6 skids 3' long so I could slide it on the lawn w/ a 4 wheeler. The uprights are 2 6x6's 6'long. Lay the posts on a concrete floor and bolt the plate to it w/ 1/4" lag bolts. Then prop the posts up and bolt on the 3' skids (4 total) on each side of the posts. Bevel the edge of the skids so they don't dig into the ground when you pull it. Put the posts in the middle of the 4' skids so you have 1.5' in front and 1.5' to the rear so it won't blow it over.

Put it in a safe place so no one accidently walks by it. There is always a chance some idiot will shoot it w/ steel shot and dent it, so you may want to mark it w/ a sign. Don't put it by the rifle range either...too tempting.
  3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Jan 29, 1998

What choke was that used when it was patterned I would say you had do be dead on the clay peigion to hit it but I bet it was a puff of smoke when you do hit it.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    The nicest patterning board that I have used was at a club way to my north. They made the board out of all metal. You can use round or square poles to sink into the ground about 2 and half feet down or so. and welded or screwed a thick diamond grate across post to post with a top and bottom piece to add a little strengh to the board. After years of shooting this heavy eight inch thick grate with diamonds openings in it about the lenth of a inch or so has no damage to the metal yet. It works very well. The only drawback I could find was a good way to attach the paper I was useing on a pretty windly day. That should be the worst problem I ever have shooting. Ha Ha Ha. Break-em all. Jeff
  5. 700X-user

700X-user Member

Feb 13, 2007
    NW PA
    I patterned my gun on a steel pattern board when I was at Wenig's in Missouri.

They had a 5 gallon bucket of regular axle grease that they had mixed with a small amount of gray oil-based paint. The gray paint helped to see the shot pattern.

They would shoot the gun several times to check the pattern. Then they used a paint roller on a long handle to smooth out the surface of the grease and it was ready to go. This was a very slick (no pun intended) set up. No need for paper and it is always ready to go.

The shot makes a very obvious impression in the grease. It was very easy to see the impact and to adjust the stock accordingly. They had a round metal disk that was welded to a rod that stuck out several inches from the face of the metal plate. This was the aiming point.

All they needed to do was touch up the plate with fresh grease every once an awhile. I believe the plate was made from a sheet of diamond plate. They had it mounted an a stand. I would not think you would need very thick plate for this kind of a setup. We patterned the gun from at least 20 yards away. We were only working on point of impact.

You can not do pellets counts or pellet density counts with this kind of a setup. This is strictly for visual impact tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

steel shooting plate pattern