1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make my K32 a trap gun

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

So - I have a K32 with 30" screw choke over/under barrels. The barrels are standared bore ( .735 ) and I have custom chokes from .00 to .35.

I've used this gun primarily to shoot skeet and sporting clays.

I see many shooters are local clubs as well as top shooters shooting a single barrel for 16 yd and handicap and then converting to over/under for doubles. It would seem that at 16 yards I'm fairly competent with low 20's scores - so there might be hope. However, step back to 27 yards and it's a disaster. Friends suggest that the over/barrels are shooting too flat ( which may also be the case at the 16 yard line, but margin of error is greater at the closer yardage )

Therefore, I have now concluded if I want to become an accomplished trap shooter it's imperative that I get a single barrel for my K32.

I see the K80 unsingle barrels with the high adjustable ribs to alter the POI - which could be fitted to my gun. Although I have a standard stock ( with trap dimensions including 1 3/8 DAC ) I'm not certain if I could get the beads to line up on a high rib K80 unsingle tpye barrel when combined with the standard stock. The stock was custom made by Wenig and shoots a 60/40 POI on a patterning board at 25 yards.

Nothwithstanding that I have a little money burning a hole in my pocket and would like to begin to shoot trap with at least competitive equipment -suggestions on what issues to consider re: looking for a barrel.

32" or 34" ?

K80 Unsingle Barrel - will the beads line up while using "standard" stock ?

Is there a different K80 ( or K32 for that matter ) barrel I should be looking at ? ?

OR - just shoot the over/under barrel with appropriate chokes ?

OR - forget the barrels and go out and buy a BT 99 ?

Or - shoot the Remington 3200 trap gun that I have ( factory gun - no mods. fixed choke imp/mod and full 30" barrels)

No cheap shots about gun blowups please 8 >)

Thanks advance.

Noel

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

You are asking too many questions, we can't even get a consensus on one question (LOL).

Are you a 27 yard shooter already? An adult male starts off on the 20 yard line and many of us never stray far from it. The K-32 is a flat shooting gun as most older guns are. The only real "weakness" of the K-32 is the fact that it is difficult to make a release trigger that is dependable for it. The K-32 can be updated with K-80 wood and trigger, if you want to spend the money. You can buy a K-32 top single or K-80 barrels will work. If you want the gun to shoot higher, raise the comb. Don't worry about the beads lining up in a figure 8, just get used to seeing the space between the beads. Most people shoot off the end of the barrel, so the beads really don't do anything for you when you are actually shooting the target. My 2 cents, good luck. Bill Malcolm

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

amboy, I'd start spending your money by buying a trap stock for the gun. You absolutely do not need an unsingle to shoot handicap. Your O/U is perfectly adequate. Besides, if you buy an unsingle barrel and have it fitted, you'll find you then have to get a trap stock anyway.

Here's the deal. You can build up your comb temporarily by applying several layers of foam backed mole skin. Try adding 1/8" or so and see if it makes a difference in your hits. Try more height and see. If that works you can get a stock with an adjustable comb, or a trap stock to complement your skeet/sporting stock.

An adjustable rib barrel is primarily for those who insist on seeing a fig-8 bead alignment. You can adjust your POI by adjusting the rib and comb in combination, and still keep your "correct" bead alignment. I don't care about aligned beads, and I don't mind seeing some rib between the beads. If you can get over this bead lining up nonsense, you'll find you can successfully use your O/U for everything.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get a top single K32 barrel- I have a custom one for sale

or

a K80 unsingle - the step rib is essentially the same height as what the ramp rib (flat rib) is

you probably will want a K32 adjustable comb trap stock-

I have all of that stuff if you are interested- kinda collected it over 30 years

Gene

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

First, it is not imperative that you get a single barrel. They could also shoot flat unless specifically designed to shoot a specific POI.

Since you specifically state that you "already have a stock with trap dimensions" then get an adjustable comb installed on it post haste... As for beads ligning_up, if you mean in the favled figure 8 sense, forget that crap post haste. Remove the center bead and stop worrying about it. If however you mean the other then that is your problem and again, get an adjustable comb installled.

As for the money burning a hole in your pocket, you can send it directly to me for compensation of aforementioned advice.

Most likely no K80 beads will not lign up in figure 8 (assume this is your meaning) with the stock you have now.

K32 single barrel may "lign_up" (assume again you mean the fabled figure 8). It will more likely than a K80 due to rib design.

Shoot the O/U you have now with an adjustable comb.

No need to buy a BT99 but it is your money (unless you are sending it to me)...

If your more confident in the 3200 you now have then by_all_means start shooting it. But agaon I will state that if it doesn't have an adjustable comb have one installed.

No cheap_shots are given...

Your welcome :)

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Dupont has numerous K-32 & K 80 bbl.s at reasonable prices. An adjustable comb can be made on your stock for $200. by Country Gentleman. Much cheaper than buying a new stock. Barrels are what ever your comfortable with. Frank Little shot a Browning O/U at everything for years. He was an Olympic medalist and trap All American. Over the years, a lot of All Americans shot 16's and doubles with the O/U bbl.s and had the single shooting high for handicap. The nut behind the stock is the important thing.

7. spritc

spritc Active Member

Noel, Jim Wiegand in Cloverdale, IN has cut and installed several adjustable combs for me and I have always been pleased with his work. Email me and I will provide his contact information. I have done a deal or two with Gene (GN777777) and he is a man to trust if you want a barrel or another stock.

Steve

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dear Noel

I was going to suggest you talk to Gene. He is GN77777777. He can set you up, and you can deal with him with total confidence. He KNOWS Krieghoffs. He has the goodies you want.

9. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the comments.

Kolar Dude, I had Jim Wiggans do an adjustable stock for me on a gun and you're right, he does (did) do a great job.

However, the stock that is on the gun was custom fit and made for me by Fred Wenig. I just can't bring myself to cut the wood. Exibition grade walnut - too pretty to ugly up with a adjustable comb. JMHO. 8 >)

Might try the moleskin build up to see what happens. When I mention the beads stack I was speaking of the typical "figure" eight pattern.

I also wasn't implying I was a 27 yard shooter. I just tried to shoot a round from the 27, and as mentioned, it was pretty embarrassing.

Guess I should have asked - what is the real or perceived benefit of a top or unsingle unless ( and I'm guessing )less weight ? I see the K80 Trap Combo and others of similar configuration by other manufacturers. The purpose - added advantage or marketing gimmick to sell more guns ?

Barrel hanger change is a good possiblity - I believe I even have a spare.

To Pheasantmaster - I put the cash in the mail. Let me know if you don't get it. I have complete trust in our U.S. Post Office system, but you never know.

Time to burn up some powder I suppose and earn my licks.

It's shock to the ego to go from being able to shoot AA in all four skeet gauges to having to climb the "learning curve" for a different game.

Again, thanks all for the input.

Noel

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

trade it for a Perazzi.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

trade it for a Perazzi.

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Noel,

All you have to do is find a trap gun that hits where you are looking. There are alot of used guns on the market, try shooting some of them and if you find one that works, buy it. HMB

13. daydreamer1

daydreamer1 TS Member

thought i wrote this question as i had the same experiance with a k 32.my k 32 is set for skeet. a upgraded wood set for a k 80. 28 in. bbls with screw in chokes and a kolar sub ga tube set.shot some trap a enjoyed this game as much as skeet. i just couldn't get good at trap with this set up.then like most gun nuts i found a great deal on k 80 trap wood, but was a pain to change wood when i wanted to try trap. well next was a great deal on a top single k 32 san remo bbl. 32 in. imp mod choked. well i still had some money left in my retirement account. as a great deal on a k 32 recievor and for arm iron poped up for sale. bought the iron ,paid for wood fitting and then bbl. fitting . now have a k 32 for skeet and a k 32 for trap .only problem now is 2 beautifull k 32 guns. the talk of the gun club. i am the one thats sitting and talking with all the members because i now have no money left to shoot!!. well perhaps not that bad but i feel the k 32 set for trap was the best investment i made. and it only cost appx. 60% of what i would have for a true trap gun. my 2 cents worth al dulude

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Plenty of the old red trapstocks out there for $100 to $200 have the comb cut or just do the one on your wood if its paralell. Get a topsingle K-32 barrel and never look back. Jeff

15. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

you got a greay gun save and find a deal on single bbl, i would cut a comb in that stock, do u want 2 break targets or look good missing.

16. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Is something wrong with the Remington 3200 trap gun you already have?

17. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad about your performance from the 27 you have to learn that one,
    way different than the 16. Shoot what you have till you need more gun. Bill

18. spritc

spritc Active Member

Noel, only two of the guys you were shooting with on the 27 yard line are actual 27 yard shooters, the other is a 23 yard shooter, me. Keep coming out and shooting what you have, but don't change guns three times in one day. Pick one of your fine guns and shoot the piss out of it. Eventually you will work your way back to the 27. Right now it is more important to have fun and be consistant, the rest will come.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.