1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

HOW TO MAKE GUN SHOOT LOWER??????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stainlessbt99, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stainlessbt99

stainlessbt99 TS Member

I have a 870 comp that shoots 100% high. Seems what ever I do to bring P.O.I. down it don't work. I have shaved off 1/4" off the stock and still shoots 100% high. I have added a taller end beed and have not shot it yet but I am not really excited about the taller bead.
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Will a add a rib help???????

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, accurately measure where the gun is now shooting. Check at least 5 POI from a rest and a target 13 yards from the barrel (10 is better than 5). Then add back the 1/4 you shaved off and repeat the test. You can temporally raise the comb with carpet pad, pages from an old book, or even rags held in place with duct tape. If you do not have any old books to tear up to raise the comb, I have a couple that are not worth reading. If you would tear them apart, then the pages would at least be good for something.

If raising the rear sight (your eye) does not elevate the POI, something well beyond the mechanical laws of physics is occurring. I do suspect that the situation actually involves where you are shooting the gun and not where the gun shoots.

Pat Ireland

3. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Pat, I think he wants it to shoot lower. A taller bead can make more difference than you would think, if that doesn't do it a rib can be made that will, I think Keensight and some other rib makers can do that.

4. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

Pat,I have read many of your post and have come to trust in your knowlage. This 13 yard patterning from a rest confuses me. Do I sand bag my gun, line the beads in a figure 8 and aim center of a fixed point? Do I rest the gun and try and hold the same sight picture as if I were calling for a bird?

5. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

I think Pat misunderstood what you were trying to do, because all of his tips would raise it. Try what ccw said.

6. bigben

bigben Active Member

Stainless bt99, congrats on having a near perfect trap gun! Make sure that it is indeed 100%, which is the bottom of your pattern just touching the top of the clay target you have drawn on paper at 38yds. Consider this, shot drops 4 1/2 inches at 40 yds, by the time you start to squeeze the trigger and the shot impacts the target the target has risen another 12 inches, with a 100% gun just look at the target lock on to it and drive the gun into the target, presto, a smoked target! Be cautious of a shooter telling you to "float" a target as this is one of the major causes of lost targets, you bead check, pull the trigger, stop the gun and lose the target, then you mistakinly think you shot over it! Before you do anything else, go to the range, set the trap for straight-aways so as no to do too much bead checking, now look over the top of your rib [like looking through a scope], call for the target, when the target clears thr top of the rib you have a shootable killable target, shoot without any hesitation! do this for a round and see the results, should you still want to lower the impact, a 5/16 to 1/2 in rib will net you a much lower impacting gun, you can experiment yourself at first with some balsa wood paint it flat black the experiment to get your desired results. Incinerate en! high

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I think Pat is right. Not because his advice will lower the POI, but rather it starts with the basic question "What's going on here?" Why does this 870 Comp shoot "100% high?" when in general they shoot flat? On what basis is ST99 coming to that conclusion? What did ST99 see looking down the gun before he removed 1/4 inch from the comb and what does he see now? Since shaving the comb that much did not lower the POI is it possible that ST99 is not as careful with his POI testing as both he and I think he should be if he is going to finally get where he wants to be with this 870 Comp.

Neil

*Besides, we both suspect that most people who describe their guns as shooting nn percent high have never actually tested it. One they do, they say "My gun shoots 6 inches high."

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It's highly unlikely an unaltered 870 comp will shoot 100% high.

What yardage did you shoot this at? 13yds or 40yds

Did you sandbag the gun?

Did you shoot the gun like a rifle?.....figure 8 the beads, and hold the front sight at 6 o'clock of your aiming point?

All of your pattern above the aiming point, when shot at 13yds, doesn't mean your gun shoots 100% high. You cannot use the percentage definition, if patterning at anything less than 40yds.

You should always measure your pattern in inches...from the center of your aiming point, to the center of the pattern. This will better inform others on how the gun shoots, if you were to say something like this......

"My gun shoots X inches high at Y yardage."

While I was still at Kolar Arms, I probably shot more patterns than anyone here....exception would be Neil, and as Neil mentioned above, all those that thought their gun shot higher than 9" center to center, (80% or more), got quite the surprise that the sandbag-rested gun was only 4-6" high, at 40 yds.

Note---Remember, we are only talking about the gun, not the shooter.

Doug

9. FE DOG

FE DOG TS Member

10. shutupandshoot

shutupandshoot Member

I have an add on rib from Keen Sight that I ordered for an older style BT that had no adjustable comb and shot 100% high on the pattern board. I believe it is tapered from 1/8 at the receiver end to 5/16 at the front bead. This taper pushes the front sight down and brings the POI down to approx an 80/20. I never installed it and it is still new. I believe that I paid $175. Will sell it for $70. If interested, e-mail me at sjdrouse@msn.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fine beed rear sight shoot hiher or lower

how to make a shotgun shot lower
how to make a trap gun shoot lower

make your shotgun shoot lower

making rifle rear site lower
taller bead shotgun front sight
what do they mea seeing a figure 8 when looking down a shotgun rib
what does lowering the front sight on a gun do