1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to make a pattern board

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rmctaggart, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

i am making a patterning board for my gun club one that can be moved and can replace the paper easily and quickly and suggestions or help. thanks much. robert mctaggart

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Should check into making a grease board. You can photo results and still take them with you. Its reusable and doesn't require all the paper targets. We have one at the WSRC and it works good except when idiots shoot slugs at it.

3. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

i am not sure i understand the grease board it gets shot up and how can you tell after a few shots if it is your pattern or a previous shot without fresh paper. robert mctaggart

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

After you fire your shotgun at the grease board you take a paint roller and roll over the pattern that was made on the board. You can then shoot at the board again and continue the above process. I have seen clubs use grease even Crisco and it works fine.
    Steve Balistreri

5. grntitan

The grease board is a large stell plate with a center circle welded on. You have a bucket of grease and a paint roller on a long stick. After each shot you snap a photo for your data records and then roll the fresh grease over the steel plate. Its fresh and ready for next shot. I'm not sure of the type of grease or sizes as i did not design it. The grease appears grey in color. hopefully a more knowledgeable person will comment on it.--Matt

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

To use paper for a movable patterning board you want a cheap, light log storage ring, a roll of brown paper and four spring clamps.

Get the lightest, cheapest ring you can find (typically tubular in the 36 ~ 40 inch range). The clamps hold the paper at four corners. Rolls of brown paper are fairly cheap...

http://www.outdoorfurnitureplus.com/outdoor-furniture-firewood-racks.html

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

A couple of examples. The workmanship on these are a little crude but you get the idea. I have used these kind before and they work vey nicely.

mark425_2008_030348.jpg

mark425_2008_030351.jpg

and another

mark425_2008_030350.jpg

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Robert, Dennis Devault has a design very simular to the ones above made with all 2 inch pvc tubing. You don't have to glue everything together if you don't want so it can be taken with you. It works with the paper rolls as well. I'm sure he would give you all the info if you ask. Break-em all. Jeff

9. capvan

capvan Active Member

I hope Dennis DeVault is reading this....

10. grntitan

I like the above design. Gonna steal that idea for a portable personal target board.

11. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/smessage.cfm?messageid=612279" target="_blank">Neil Winston Design</a>

12. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Here's something simple that I made out of PVC pipe --- if you don't glue everything it's light, it's easy to take apart and you can carry in your trunk. Pre-cut the paper to the appropriate size and you're good to go.

13. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Here's a close-up view of a joint.

dbbill_2008_0303111.jpg

14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I like Neil's design because you can put a roll of butcher paper and clamp it up at the top. Then you can rip it off and start all over again. With this design after the supports start getting ragged you just install new ones.

Bryan

15. rmctaggart

rmctaggart TS Member

thanks for all the great suggestions and help. robert mctaggart

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

bryan, thats not butchers paper!!! Go to Home Depot or local lumber yard and get a roll of construction paper. Its made to protect the floors of homes under construction. Its a thick and tuff paper and a roll is like 100 ft. long and about 3 feet wide. Perfect for like 33 test patterns for like 10-13 dollars or so. 3 feet by 3 feet is perfect size. Break-em all. Jeff

17. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

There are pictures and a discussion about plates and frames in the article above that might be of interest. . .

- - Bill

18. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

It is called Red Rosin paper the roll I have is 3 ft x 167 ft and I know I paid less than 10 dollars for it at a big box lumber yard on sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
building a shotgun patterning board
how to build a shotgun pattern board
how to make a shotgun pattern board
portable patterning board

shotgun pattern board

shotgun pattern board design
shotgun pattern board grease

shotgun patterning board