1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How To Lubricate An 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Darth Vader, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader TS Member

Can someone please tell me exactly what needs lubing on my tb870 to prevent parts wear? The manual is very vague on this. Thank-you for your assistence as I want to use this shotgun until I go to the big range in the sky! James Carpenter

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I have an 870 express magnum and it's my home defense shotgun but I find the best method of lubrication to be spray the entire gun down (and the internals) and then just wipe it off so that it leaves a light coat of lube on it.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Slide rails and the channel they ride in, regularly. Wipe the mag tube with Break Free once a year.

Take out the trigger, spray with electro cleaner, and blow off with air. Then a spritz of Break Free. And that's only once a year.

Wipe the crud off the bolt with a paper towel and put back in.

That's all.

HM

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

If you've exposed it to extremes of climate, it is a good idea to pull the plug and spring out of the mag tube, clean, check for rust, and lightly oil inside the tube. As stated above, pull trigger every now and then, same for bolt and action bars, clean inside receiver, lightly oil, oil the action bar slots and a drop on the firing pin spring, bolt sides and you should be good.

I don't believe in spray and pray but if you must, at least store it muzzle down so the oil doesn't migrate into the stock.

My TB, at 38 years of age, still has a nice, non-oil soaked stock and the internals are original except for one small trigger part and a new firing pin. Had to replace the receiver a year and a half ago when it cracked. I was a little disappointed it only took 350K shot to do that.

Incidentally, it cost me twice as much for a clean "donor" Wingmaster than I paid for the TB new in '72.

Stan in Illinois, where the governors make the license plates.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The 870 is designed with enough parts clearance that it does not need a lot of lube. Excessive lube will only collect dirt and powder residue and gum us the action. Other than some of the pivot points in the trigger housing, and where the plate under the bolt rubs on the guide rails in the receiver, which should be lightly lubed, the rest of the gun should only have enough lube on it to prevent rust.

The ONLY time you hose the gun down with lube is if it gets soaking wet. Field strip, wipe it down, and if you can, put it over a heat register to dry it out. Use a water displacing gun lube, like Birchwood Casey's Sheath. I never recommend WD-40 because it leaves a greasy film that collects dirt. When done, blow the excess off with compressed air.

And if you're putting a wood stocked gun into a wet environment, have you taken the stocks off and sealed any exposed wood surfaces?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.