1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to loosen a model 12 bolt???????????????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cec, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cec

cec TS Member

I have my Dad's winchester model 12 that I'm trying to put on a youth stock for my 10 year old grandson. The model 12 will pass down to him. It will actually be from his Great Grand father. My son, grandson and I are all excited about the project and keeping the gun in our family (forever). But, the old stock bolt is stuck preventing us from removing the older stock. Any suggestions that might HELP?

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bob, I'd place the receiver in a rubber padded vice, use a 3/8 drive ratchet and a long extension with a driver blade that fits the bolt slot. Tap the extension with a hammer, then SLIGHTLY tighten the bolt, tap again and loosen. The bolt head may have slightly rusted to the washer too and tapping may help with that also.

Hap

3. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I would break down the gun put receiver in a lined vice I use a thick piece of smooth leather as a liner to protect the receiver finish clamp it down and find a big screw driver make sure the head of the driver is thick enough to fit the slot in the bolt it is pretty wide slot. A good tight fit in the slot with a heavy driver is what I use with extra tape raped around the driver handle to give a better leverage. Make sure you apply lots of force into the bolt so the screwdriver does not jump out of the slot give it a go. If it is still not budging I have taken the screw driver and had it cut off and a T bar welded on top so I could really apply torque to bust it loose. This is what I have done with success but there may be better ways I'm sure but I'm short on patience a flaw I have to fight to stop me from destroying things. I hope this helps or see a gunsmith is there is one close by if in doubt/ Good luck Buddy

4. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Hap is right tap with a hammer is some thing I forgot to say.

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Since your replacing the stock, why not pour some kerosene or penetrating oil into the stock hole before giving the bolt a good smack with a piece of bar stock. If that doesn't loosen the bolt there is always one other solution.
    I had one fella get so disgusted with the same problem that he cut it thru the grip with a hacksaw. That's when I decided to weld a socket head to the end of all my Model 12's and 870 stock bolts. Stock removal much easier now!

Big Jack

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have used a tire tool with good luck. The hubcap prying end fits the slot quite well.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Pour some Clenzoil down the hole and let it sit a few minutes, it will not harm the wood and will loosen the bolt pronto ... Clenzoil is made for wood, leather, etc ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Take some 1 inch wide tape and wrap the blade end of the screw driver 1/2 inch from the end. Wrap with the tape until it is a slip fit with the stock bolt hole in the stock, this will keep the blade centered in the slot. HMB

9. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Borrow or buy an impact screwdriver 3/8" drive and get a long extension with a screw drive attachment. Make sure everything is a tight fit in the hole unless you don't care about the old stock. I have seen these things slide off to the side and go right thru the stock.

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

the youth stock is just temporary; the kid ain't gonna' be a kid forever and he'll need that original stock again one day. i think you might be approaching the problem from the wrong end. doesn't the screw go all the way through the receiver? if so, disassemble the gun so you can soak the receiver, up to the wood, in kerosene. kerosene is the drug of choice, it's the original, and still the best, penetrating lubricant. if push comes to shove. take it to a machine shop and have them drill the head of the screw off. take the wood off. soak the threads. remove. clean. lube. replace with a new screw. good luck with it

11. Duck

Duck Member

hmb,

Great Tip!.

12. larryjk

larryjk Member

quartering, The stock bolt receiver is not a through hole, at least I have never seen one like that.

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

actually, i guess you'd have to have the stock off to see for sure! i was looking at an internet schematic. so, it's either you wrap your family heirloom stock in tape and clamp it in a vise and wrap a tire iron in tape so it doesn't slip off the screw while you pound on it with a hammer to loosen it while you twist it with a crescent wrench or you could just take it to a machine shop for about 10 bucks. good luck with it

14. sasquach

sasquach Member

what BeerKing said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

model 12 bolt loose

model 12 bolt tightness