1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

How to look for the target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Oooooohkay.
  2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, I like your explanation better!!!
  3. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Control Break Bullshit - LOOK AT THE TARGET

Copyright - Phil Kiner

FRedmon
  4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

ahhhh but looking isn't the same as seeing, it is easy to look ,but harder to see. you look at a book , but you must see the print to read. quite a difference. focusing on the leading edge of what you want to see 100 times without fail or losing focus is only part of the equation to breaking targets. to be consistant you must see it the same each time. Bikinis on the edge of the ocean makes me wonder where did the girls go?
  5. Rick Barker

I have found the above site very useful in helping me focus my eyes.

I have to be careful, too much exercise strains my eyeballs.

Exercises 2 and 16 (yellow shoes) are my favorites.

(hope I don't get kicked off here for this)
  6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Thank you God!!!
  7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

"You must see without trying to see. Trying to see it will make you see it wrong. I would not pay a man to tell me to look at the target. Anybody knows that."

With all due respect..

Your first and second sentence is correct.....Your third sentence is bad advice for some people and your last sentence is wrong!!! Everyone knows how to walk but you have to learn it first.

Thats my opinion anyway,

Bill
  8. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

trying to see it will not make you see it wrong. it needs intent. you look at the page in a book but if you don't see the print you only know it has printing! you need to focus on the target, basically where you wish your shot to hit so the leading edge is where your want your focus.
  9. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I was once given the advice to "break the target with your eyes." In other words, focus intently on the target once it is acquired to the exclusion of everything else. For that brief moment in time, your world is that little orange dome. Focus intently on it and the brain will control everything else to almost "automatically" break the bird. Without that intense input from your eyes, the brain can not properly fire the muscle neurons correctly to track and fire on the bird.
  10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Moderator Staff Member

Dang, Rich! Thanks!

I can see much better after looking at that site.

But now I want to trade my trap gun in for a yacht full of eye candy!

I can barely afford trap, and I know I can't afford that yacht.

Oh well, nice looking heavenly bodies.

Thanks again!

Hauxfan!
  11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

C.E.Burgess

Are you trying to prove something?

I can tell you this I probably know and or have worked with more champion shooters in all disciplines than anyone else that I know of. The list includes both National, World and Olympic champions.

The thing that seems to separate the elite shooter from the rest is not a style or technique or equipment it is their almost perfect and unfaltering use of their vision.

Seeing a target isn't enough. To be successful you must lock your vision on to the moving target and never leave it until the shot is completed. Much easier said than done.

Please tell us of a top ranked shooter in any discipline that will disagree.

Learning how to see properly takes work for almost all of us including many of our trap shooting greats.

Joe Goldberg
  12. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Member

Phil Kiner has help me a great deal. He says:

1. If your gun shoots where you look, and

2. you have your head on the gun, and

3. you look at the target, then,

4. you will break the target.

Its sounds simple but it is true for me.

JMAC
  13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

none of us are wired exactly alike, people tend to do what is easy for them to do, in jobs and sports. to say that trapshooting does not require concentration is pretty far fetched. You have to be intent on the target in the air. Yes, in between shots you can think about anything as long as it doesn't interfere with the next target. Watching Dan shoot is a contradiction to what you have stated.
  14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I see Mr. Bonillas and his brother on just about every local shoot here in my area. I'll ask him next time, I see him, if he believes there is no requirement of concentration.

Weasel.
  15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Rick Barker,

Thank God for being able to see, Now I miss my boat ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Rick Barker,

Thank God for being able to see, Now I miss my boat ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  17. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

You can always "see" the target, but you need to "look" at it. It's like music. You can "hear" it, but you need to "listen" to it. It's all about focus. Listen and look at the target focus explanations until they make sense. Mark

PS I looked it up. WPT stand for World Poker Tour or Wisconsin Public Television. :)
  18. Rick Barker

It's all concentrated concentration, nothing more. Perhaps it is the age of the eyes that makes the difference between the "snapshot" and the stare.

WPT, your welcome and I hear you. I miss my 24 foot jet daycruiser. Thing was a real chick magnet, even on it's trailer, got girls asking about it all the time. My wife was always good about it and did not mind the extra deck hands from time to time.
  19. Rick Barker

C.E.

Your right, but your bucking accepted norm.

My "concentration" starts when I see the target and ends when I pull the trigger.

Like it was already said, different things for different people, we are not all the same.
  20. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

ok well heck that settles it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.