1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to load STS hull with 7/8 oz. shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

What kind of wads do you use with the remington STS hulls for 7/8 oz. loads. I use winchester primers and 700X powder too.I would like it to shoot adequately at long yardages but keep the recoil as low as possible as I have had some surgery and my chest will be quite sensitive.

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

The figure 8 Remington wad in 1 OZ size will hold 7/8 or 1 OZ of shot without dishing of the crimp with most powders of large to medium flake.

I load 16.5 grains of clays, Cheddites, and the ClayBusters clone of the Rem wad.

A friend of mine uses Promo, which is less expensive, but uses about te same amount of powder.

Both are very mild and move around 1180 fps.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I use 17 gr. of Clays and Down Range XXL wads for perfect crimps. I have used 700X, 16.5 to 17 grains of powder, the Winchester primers are fine, and the XXL wad or Winchester's 12L or the CB clone for the 12L. I try to keep the velocity up to give or take 1220 fps to ensure a reliable powder burn and still comfortable recoil....breakemall

4. djldb6

djldb6 Member

I use Duster clears, CD12 CLEAR DUSTER 12g 7/8. They work great and I think the crimps are even better than on my 1 oz loads.

STS, Win209, nitro 100. Use same set up for AA's too without having to change my MEC 9000 but crimps are always better with STS's.

Dan

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use Claybuster 0178-12 wads, (gray wad designed for 7/8 oz load) 17.3 grains of Red Dot and a Fiocchi primer. This gives me about 1250 fps with 7/8 oz of shot. I also like to keep the speed up a bit. It seems to help with a cleaner burn and a nicer break. Mark

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The Hodgdon reloading site (above) lists 700x for 24 gram loads. 24 grams is .85 oz., 7/8 oz is .875 oz. I would use the 24 gram data for light loads with 7/8 oz reloads and feel safe. You could call Hodgdon and check. Mark

7. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

I have used 16.5 grs of Red Dot, Promo, Clays, Clay Dot and though I haven't used it, 700X, all work fine. Wads, Downrange XXL, Claybusters L gray and the S0 Clone also worked great.

Ron

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Charger, I would use the Win. (grey) wad in Win. or Claybuster,downrange clone are fine. Your 700X is not a good powder and would have to switch to another until you heal or can stand a one oz. load. Clays,Red Dot, Claydot, promo should be fine from 1200 fps up. If you need speeds lower than this for your surgery I would try some Win. AA Lite, or Alliant's Extra-Light powder will both work well in slower loads. Check the data for the one you like best. Hodgdon.com for Win. and Alliantpowder.com for Alliant. Good Luck and Break=em all. JEff

9. ABH

ABH Member

Claybuster 0178 dark grey wads are for 7/8oz loads. 15.5grs of titewad and fed 209 primers will give you about 1200fps. Perfect crimps and very clean burning. For other primers, go to 16grs of titewad.

ART H.

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Hate to disagree with Pull & Mark but I have used 15&1\2 to 16 gr. 700X with 7\8oz. for about 15 years now, I load STS or G.C.s-- TGT or claybuster clone the WW grey 7\8 wad or clone seem to work well also, very minimal wad pressure, the crimp should provide necessary wad pressure. Have tried most of the other powders mentioned & had passable results. Still prefer 700X to all others. I load about 95% 7\8oz. loads. Just my personal experience. Ross Puls

11. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I've not had much luck with the rem tgt. I use the aa gray and clones. Alliant extra lite works best at velocities 1200 fps and less.

12. wheelchair shooter

wheelchair shooter TS Member

I agree with HTSmith on the Alliant Extra Lite. Been loading 7/8 oz with the win. gray wads and 14.5 grs @ 1150 and 15.5 grs @ 1200 and they do very well. Harder breaks for me than the 1 1/8 oz loads and very little recoil from my 391.

Thad

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ross, You may have been using that load, but I saw no data at all on there website!!! I did not call or contact a powder tech to verify if you could use this powder or not. There are many loads listed for one oz. but none listed in 7/8 oz. for 700X. Because of his recent surgery I thought Win. AA Lite or Alliants Extra Lite might be better powders for him anyway. Most of the common powders used in 12 ga. have to be loaded at 1200 fps or faster to get a good burn, and I thought that would give him to much recoil. He could contact a tech at Hodgdon to see if they have any data that is not listed on there site he could use, before buying some new powder. Is your load listed in any of IMR
    's or Hodgdon's reloading guides??? break-em all. Jeff

14. EEB

EEB Member

18.5 gr. Clay Dot, STS primer, Gray clay buster wad, and 7/8 #8. Great load right out of the book. Low recoil and pressure at 1,250 fps.

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jeff ... you looked in the wrong place on the Hodgdon site, and 700x is the 'wrong' powder'? c'mon, dood.

Look under '24gm', rather than 7/8. There's abt 80-eleven loads there. 15gn of 700x is very mild feeling 1150, but he can go slower & softer with one of the 'Lites', or with MY Fave ... Bullseye.

Bob

16. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Pull & Mark--Jeff-----What goatskin said, also found that load many years ago in an IMR publication, fairly low chamber pressure so have used most any medium strength primer ie.WW--Rem.--CCI standard not their magnum. Usually drop 15 to 15&1\2GR. sometimes in winter I'll go up 1\2 gr. or so,to get a little more heat. Have never tried hot primers so no help there. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
16 ga 700x powder 1 ozreloads
24 gram international reloading data titewad
best 24 gram reload for clays
cb-0178-12 titewad load data
cb0178 12 load data

cb0178-12 load data

loose primer in remington sts hulls
remington sts hull and 700x powder