1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to lighten color of stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Acer, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acer

Acer TS Member

I have a K80 standard grade stock that is a medium color. I want to refinish this stock in a very light maple or virtually blond color. Is it possible to lighten the wood this much? If so, how, or do you know a good stock refinisher that can do this? Thanks, johnny Whidden

2. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

I have on both furniture and gun stocks used bleach. After stripping, apply bleach and place it in the Sun. It will lighten wood to some degree. And it takes a little more wood prep after using bleach. ( Don't saturate the wood,just a light coating and repeat!)

3. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Johnny I have found over the years that when you strip the finish and stain from your stock you may be surprised at how light the wood color really is. This seems to be even more so in the European wood. Strip it and see what you think.
    Carey

4. willing

willing Member

I once saw a shipyard carpenter take a teak plywood panel, bleach it completely white and then replace a wall panel and perfectly match it to the panels on each side. this was on a Grand Banks trawler. Perfect job.

Bill

5. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Bigger paint stores will have bleach kits for wood with full instructions. I have used them a couple of times and they work very well.

Jim

6. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I use Zip Strip to take off the finish and once the finish is removed, I apply a coating of stripper and wash it off with white vinager and that usually bleaches the color from the wood.
    Wayne

7. mulls427

mulls427 Member

I have one of the dark red Krieghoff stocks that I took to a furniture refinisher. He dip stripped in his tank and voila! It came out very light and I finished with a walnut stain and true oil. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to lighten gun stock wood

lightening color of a gun stock