1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Learn Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ludmilla, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Member

I am trying to figure out how to shoot trap. I find it difficult because I do not know why I miss. In other shooting sports, the target tells me where I am shooting so I can make corrections. In Trap, I do not know why I am missing. Shooting more sounds good but practicing missing does not make you better. Yes, I use a great stock fitter.

Are there any books and/or DVDs that are any good? Any other suggestions?

Nancy

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I had the same problem. I set a consult with Phil Ross who teaches trap and markets excellent instructional materials. Note his other endorsemens on this site re. his book etc. Hope that helps; Phil advertises here and you can phone him at 909-307-0385.

3. clyslr

clyslr Member

Take a class from one of the really good trapshooters before you learn a bunch of bad habits. The world is full of terrible and bad and poor shooters. They have no idea why they miss, but will give you advice for all problems. Listen to them, but forget what they tell you. Take a class--Take a class--Take a class.

Clay Slayer

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Watch good shooters that practice and ask a good shooter to watch you shoot.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Nancy, first I don't mean to discount your stock fitter but I have seen many ill fitting guns supposedly done by a pro. It may well be worth seeing another for an oppinion.

A teacher and not just the club hot shot is a good investment and worth every dollar. Your gun even though properly fit to your style may have the wrong POI for you. Since you've obviously become frustrated, I would highly reccomend this route.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The first thing to do is find out if your gun is hitting where you are looking. Go to the patterning board and make sure your POI on target. Then you can go to the trap field. Shoot from station 3 with the machine locked on straight aways. Now you can make any final adjustments that might be needed to get zeroed in. HMB

7. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Buy a large wheel barrow. Fill it with shells. Go to post one and shoot the enitre barrow. Repeat for posts 2 through 5.

Joe

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A quick leg up can be gained by use of tracer shells.

Tru Tracer shells used to be made by Nevada Cartridge company, PO box 3055, reno, NV 89505.

I don't know if they are around yet but the shells work great.

HM

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Here is new info, mash the link. Phone number and all on the site.

HM

10. Ludmilla

Ludmilla Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I live near Albuquerque, NM - I will need to see if I can find a good instructor near me. I will also look into the tracers - they sound like a great iea.

11. BBMAX

BBMAX TS Member

Hi Nancy - The folks above got it right - get a good instructor who can teach you the basics and give you some "structure" while helping you enjoy Trap. Depending on where you shoot out of, there are professional folks who either have "clinics" in your area or instructors you can call up and go to for basic work. Remember, not every instructor is the best for you so take it one step at a time. You have plenty to choose from too. Golf and Tennis are examples of sports where good instruction when starting is so important. The "self taught" athlete is at such a disadvantage.

The whole process will save you time and money and help you get a real kick out of the sport. Good shooting.

Bruce Maxwell

12. don q

don q TS Member

I recently bought a Phil Kiner DVD. It was great, I have changed at least 3 things that I was having a problem with mainly bead checking. I blacked out my beads and don't notice them any more. My scores have gone up since. Also I was holding too high and not using a soft focus. don q

13. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Nancy,

There are many local instructors who are well qualified to get you through the basics. If there is a coach for a SCTP team, that would be a place to start. When you get comfortable with the fundamentals, a Leo, Nora, Phil etc seminar can take you to the next level.

Not being able to see where you miss is very common, more so with two eyed shooters with cross eye dominance issues. The Phil Kiner video can give you some great insight into this. Most women are cross dominant so that is always suspect.

Be wary of anyone who tells you you have to do it "this way". Good shooters eventually find "their way". However, you do have to get the fundamentals of stance, basic hold points, gun fit and eye dominance right or you will struggle until you do.

The one consistent thing you will notice when you watch really good shooters is the simplicity of their setup and how quietly they conduct themselves on the line. Try to emulate their demeanor and you will go a long way in discovering what works for you.

Good luck.

14. clyslr

clyslr Member

Nancy...I live in Albuquerque. Our Club has people come in and have classes. Our club shoots three days a week and we welcome new members. We hold one registered shoot a month and the state shoot every fourth year.

Clay Slayer (Dennis) 263-6693

15. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Though not a pro by any means, members of my club frequently refer new shooters to me for assistance. After explaining the fundamentals and making sure they understand I tell them two things; Remember the targets you Hit and Forget the ones you Miss-and get the Phil Kiner DVD. Once your fundamentals are correct and you understand the game, a proffesional can be a great investment.

Robert

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Mr Singles, circa 1970-1980, told me to watch your breaks and you can learn from them.

Also, get hold of the video "Trapshooting with the Remington Pros." It's sold here by user MOTORDOC.

Also, you should get hold of the gun site/hold pictures I have been sending out. They show hold positions, eye focus areas, and target flight paths.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.