1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to know what trigger to use??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gasman03, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I have been shooting for about 3 years with a BT-99 pull trigger. I shot a release trigger last night at the club and it felt good. How do you know if you should switch?

Corey

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

If you are not flinching, stay with the pull trigger.

Don Verna

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

My understanding of it is this:

Release triggers are like hip replacements, when you need one, you'll know it.

It's not something you do just for the hell of it, and besides, it's the first step toward completion of your quest to shoot the trap house......bust 'em all.....mike

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Corey.... I don't agree with either post above. I switched to a release trigger 7 years ago just for the reason you mentioned: It just felt better to do. I didn't have a flinch, nor any recoil related problems, I just liked it better. Been with it ever since and see no reason to go back to a pull... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Jerry You did have a Flinch (a bad one) . We did,t tell you because we were not sure how you would take it . (That and it was funny as hell )

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Trap2 and FlaLagarto. release because it just felt better...

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I switched to a release only because I had to make the change. But, it it makes your finger feel better and you want to change, do it. There are some fine gunsmiths who would like the work.

Pat Ireland

8. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Never tried one and hope I don't. No prejudice, I just feel fine with my standard pull. If it works for you, go for it...just be sure anyone who might wind up with it later knows.

9. brownk80

brownk80 Member

It is your gun and your game so shoot whatever feels best to you.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I have seen many friends switch from pull trigger to release because they started flinching. Many of them solved their flinching problem but became release trigger fanatics. They usually have four or five triggers from four or five makers. They complain about the "let off" poundage and "set" poundage, hanging up, too slow, too fast, and on and on. Now I know they have to shoot release triggers but if they didn't have to they'd still be shooting a pull.

Seems to me that changing just isn't worth the hassle.

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I know an All American that switched at about 15 because he figured that he would shoot one eventually.

I wished that I had switched years earlier than I did. Never shot the trap house yet and that's after several 1,000's of targets. I found it a natural way to shoot.

Go for it.

Don

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I switched 'cause i bought a gun with both triggers and decided to go play around with the release one Saturday. Well, lets just say i never switched it back. I love it. It feels natural and my shots seem alot smoother and consistent now. My scores went up by a couple of birds almost right away.-----Matt

13. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I shoot release because I have to. Shot the number off the back of the trap house once as I was setting the release. Once at the Grand I called and trigger released , bounced shot off the trap and broke the 1st doubles target ( I smoked it but I never saw it) . Hard to believe but my friends laughed at me.

Charlie

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Using the term "quality" for either type of trigger, it's easier for to use a mediocre release than a mediocre pull trigger. I use both types of triggers and my score is more dependent on me than trigger than my trigger choice.

The release allows the original sears to engage on O/Us for added safety to prevent doubling. Pull sears can't be adjusted in that same way on O/U shotguns without getting too close to the doubling line. However, a great pull trigger can be had for a single barrel or pumps and autos used as a single shot.

I received a yard at a Winterchain shoot using my single TM-1 pull trigger and another yard in a different Winterchain using a release in a semi-auto.

Hap

15. Robb

Robb Member

Any tips for a release shooter that can't let go? Switched from pull 25 yrs. ago because of flinch now doing it again with a release.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When I started shooting a release trigger in 1969 I too was not flinching, but when I tried one in my Model 12 it made me comcentrate harder, and I feel it made me a smoother shooter, I broke very good scores with it so I built my own Model 12 Release Trigger, I copied the trigger built by Herb Orre it was a release/ pull by switching the safety. Have been shooting a release for more than 40 years now, I cannot shoot a pull on trapshooting, sporting clays, or god forbid skeet. Hunting is a different story.

I have shot most releases built by release builders, Allems, Bowen, Spears, Gobel, McDaniels, P&P, Romans, Schwab, Timney just to name a few, All performed very nice for their application.

My personal opinion is Allems chrges more than most, better than the rest?

Kreighoff will not service, repair, or install a release in the K-80 RT models.
    I know this first hand.

Pointing your finger is a voluntary action, pulling your finger is an invlountary action, when you say look at that bird, figure, or attractive lady, you point your finger, not hook it back to you.

This is my personal analysis, I have been there and done it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Robb.... I know a couple of release shooters that had the same problem. They solved that problem by setting the trigger before mounting the gun... Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. Robb

Robb Member

Dan, I've seen that but don't think it is for me. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.