1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

how to keep glasses from gettin all fogged up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smokemeister25, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokemeister25

smokemeister25 TS Member

was wondering if anybody knew of a product or whatever. naturally they get all fogged up when you come into the clubhouse from shooting, but i also have them fog up while outside. i've tried some prepackaged wipes but they didn't work that well. i heard there's a spray you used and wipe on that works better. anybody have any suggestion on how to kep lenses from steaming up during a round

thanks

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Some sprays help. So does saliva. Plastic lens should be cleaned wet. Lens so cleaned are less likely to fog.

3. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

I tried a whole bunch of different methods to keep my glasses from fogging. Here's the best one I found. This is a solid gel type product intended for hockey visors. It's a little stronger than the sprays/wipes. See link......

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Make sure that you ask the manufacturer of your lenses first (i.e. decot, etc), because I know of at least one person who ruined his shooting lenses with an anti-fog product.

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

To prevent fogging you have to allow air flow around the lenses. Blinders and hats pulled down low are major contributors to fogging.

Eric

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The very best I have found is also the easiest and simplest. Take a bar of soap (any kind will work) and mark an "X" on both the inside and the outside of the lenses and clean with a soft cloth. No more fogging! Works on bathroom mirrors as well... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

A little shaving cream applied (NOT Gels) also works well when buffed off with as clean, soft rag. Maybe the same reason why soap works? But I agree with Curvy, I'd check with the manufacturer first.

Doc

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Mixer has the best solution. Decot HyWydes up off the face, keep the air circulation going.

Why put anything on the lense that may impair optical performance?

9. TC

TC TS Member

Pull your glasses off before walking into a warm room. Seems to work pretty good most of the time.

10. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

One of the cheapest ways that I found to keep glasses fog free is to melt a little Neutrogena soap into a plastic 35mm film container and keep it in your shooting bag with a 100% cottom piece of t-shirt and a little dab with do ya. Plus it lasts almost forever. I used it when I played racquetball and never had a problem. It's the glycerine it that does the trick.

Tom

PS - I've tried a lot of the so called fog free cleaners and non of them work as well as this.

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Rain-X contains some nasty alcohol. If your lenses are close enough to your face to fog up they're close enough for the alcohol to do a number on your eyes.

MK

12. bigdave35180

bigdave35180 TS Member

Absolutely DO NOT USE RAIN-X on plastic or polycarbonate lens...or a motorcycle windshield either....ask me how I know...the warning is right there on the bottle...GLASS ONLY!!

13. ismah

ismah Member

Clip your eyebrows short, pinch the center piece of your glasses together until they rest on the bridge of your nose, exhale downward through your mouth.

14. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

Just one last suggestion. I have lots of kids that have to wear prescription lenses in the 4-H. We got some stuff called "Cat Crap" that has prevented any fogging problems so far. THey use it on both their regular glasses and the safety glasses that they wear over them. I put the link at the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.