1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

How to increase membership in ATA?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Any ideas how to increase membership in the ATA in this economy? I suggest dropping targets requirments. Say 800 for 16 yard events 500 for doubles and handicap events. Thanks

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

This ought to be good....Earl are you sure you're not trolling...

Bryan

3. smsnyder

Trolling a little but some of our members have good ideas.

4. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

Smsnyder why do you start these stupid threads. Dropping the targets requirements. won't do anything to increase membership in the ATA. If you want to do something positive start a thread promoting trapshooting. Than go to the local gun clubs in your area and promote trapshooting to the game shooters and maybe some will join the ATA.

5. smsnyder

Happytrapper the only one that is stupid is people who do nothing to promote the sport. You should check my past threads. Most get huge response. I think lowering the target requirments will have a big impact on new members. ( The biggest cost to new members is target requirements.) Lowering them will do nothing but help the ATA. Lowering the required will get them into the sport. The more people in the sport the more targets thrown.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Earl--Lowering target requirements won't convince any nonmembers to join. Target requirements only come into play at the larger shoots such as State, Satellite, Grand etc. etc. A member can shoot all the small club shoots they want with usually no penalization for not having "x" number of targets. It might entice current members to attend the larger shoots as they don't need as many targets to shoot their yardage and class but i highly doubt it will entice any new members.

7. smsnyder

I disagree on this one. What is your current average? What is it for the last 3/5 years etc.? Why are you still required to have minimum targets each year? Will it make a difference? Probably not. I Know people dropping of of the ATA for this reason. I still say target requirements are to high for the new shooter. It's not only the money but often the amount of time needed to get the required targets that holds people back from the ATA.

8. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Sorry targets are not the problem....I have taken guys from my hunting club to shoot trap on Sunday, most said it was OK, but the most thought it was boring and said the regular (trap) shooters took it way to seriously. How do you make it more enjoyable (that is FUN), who knows… You like or you don’t…Grubby

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Target requirements are to help weed out sandbaggers in my opinion. Besides shoots that have target requirements are usually tournament type shoots like State shoots, etc. etc.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Our sport has suffered enough change to last a couple lifetimes during the last 20 or so years! Reasearch our sports history to find answers as to how our sport went from the fastest growing single participant growth sport in the country to what we now have and you'll be informed at least! The ecomomy certainly has a role but so too does bad changes to something that worked so well fo many years!

Grubby, is it possible that todays new shooters have a far different perception of our sport than those of yesteryear? A different perception because of?

Every change our sport has endured since the very early 70s has created an easier shooting format with high scores and much higher averages. My first paragraph above touches on those changes from a historical view point.

Hap

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Simple, just handicap top shooters at a yardage that makes little shooters more competetive and the problem will take care of itself. Don't forget to eliminate "sandbagging" rules like penalties for 50 straights. Did anyone notice that "games" shooters are shooting for a few dollars? If anyone really believes a few more pewter plates and belt buckle trinkets will attract more shooters I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you-cheap!!

12. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Non-members are non-members because they don't see any advantage to being members.

Rambling on about the ATA providing fun, friendship and competition (while it might be YOUR motivation) is lost on someone who finds they can shoot all they want within 50 miles of home and have their fill of fun competing with the friends they already have and see regularly.

If you want them to even consider joining ATA, prove to them the advantages of traveling further and paying more to do the same thing they can do locally for less. Otherwise, just accept the fact that they're not dedicated enough to a structured activity to want to belong to its organization.

Keller

13. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Raising the fees isn't going to help get more members although it will help pay the rent at Sparta.

This is a good thing with attendance at the grand down 50% since its peak. All this despite huge donations from the Martins. Getting more $$$ means the ATA can pay for its blunder in the event donations falter.

Unfortunately the added fees aren't going to increase membership...just the opposite.

14. grntitan

"Raising the fees isn't going to help get more members although it will help pay the rent at Sparta."

nameisjoe,

What rent at Sparta? You certainly don't let the facts get in the way of your BS.

How about showing us where you get your facts??

15. APrice

APrice Active Member

Earl, why do want more members? The registration lines are hellishly long everywhere I go now. Besides, if the ATA has more members they will just hire more administrative staff and give officers nicer guns.

16. grntitan

17. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Armed Services Veteran Trapshooter

Many veterans had their first introduction to guns and shooting when they were instructed as recruits. After they leave the service most of them will never have the opportunity to fire a gun, even though they enjoyed the experience. These people are great prospects to become trapshooters, if they are exposed to the sport.

I propose a program that will bring these people to the sport. Active trapshooters would ask an eligible veteran to join him at the trap range and would make it easy for the invitee to accept the offer.

The veteran would be offered a free flat of shells and 250 free targets every month for a year, to be shot at the host’s club/range. The host would offer use of a trapgun.

One or more ammunition manufacturers would agree to furnish the free shells which would be available and drawn from the club’s inventory. A target manufacturer would furnish two cases of free targets each month to the host club.

A voucher system will be devised to assure efficient operation of the plan.

This plan provides:

A way to promote trapshooting while, in some way, thanking veterans for their service.

A chance for ammunition companies to thank a service man for shooting so much of their product overseas while assuring their shells are in inventory at the gun club.

Goodwill from the target manufacturer since the free target value would be deducted from the total cost of a shipment of targets.

A plus for the veteran will be the chance to meet other shooters and possibly find a job in this tough economy.

Much has been spent on developing kid’s trapshooting with the result that many of them dropout. If veterans are exposed to trap we may see them stay with the sport.

(The PITA could start this program, find any glitch, and then introduce it on a national level.)

18. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Keller's post is an excellent analysis.

19. quartering

quartering Active Member

shoot before the college games, serve bbq wings and beer during the games. watch the games on a sharp 108" flat screen tv with surround sound. good luck with it

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Big Heap: I don't think you idea would work from a monetary point. BUT Have you given any thought to teaming up with your local American Legion or VFW and maybe getting a league started just for veterans or put teams in leagues. It would help both organizations to build memberships and be an attractant to join the vet. organization. If the shooting caught on with the individual he could/would join the ATA. Your local shooting club could offer reduced priced targets for a period of time for the returning vet.

This must start at the local level if it is going to work. I have seen similar ideas work with these organization back in the 60's and 70's, the returnees want something else to do other then sit around and drink.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.